Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer matching CarMax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't posted here for a long while. Recently decided I wanted to upgrade to the new Raven Performance so I started probing for inventory cars. Got my appraisal, which was disappointing, and the SA told me to try my luck with CarMax since they price match. I took it and got a number that was 6.5k higher.

Fast forward to yesterday, which the additional price drop, I thought what a great timing. Call SA back and she told me they stopped matching on CarMax values that same morning.. Is this a thing now?

What's funnier, is that I read somewhere else where the SA mentioned Tesla will stop matching on June 1st. I called another location just to double check and of course with Tesla disjointed internal communications, was told that they haven't price matched CarMax for months.

Anyone out there with any accurate information or an SA they've worked with that is following the June 1st date?

I think there may be two scenarios at play here.....matching on Tesla traded vehicles (i.e., trading a Tesla for a Tesla) and matching on NON-Tesla traded vehicles (i.e., trading a BMW for a Tesla). I believe Tesla stopped matching CarMax for Tesla vehicles a while ago but had still been matching on non-Tesla vehicles. Perhaps that has now changed??

It's all confusing. When I first started this convo with the advisor, she was the one that said to get a quote from CarMax knowing I had a Tesla trade. But you're right, I read older posts here and there about Tesla not matching on Tesla quotes for a while. I just wish they would have a standardization on responses somewhere I can reference.

*For shts and giggles, I called 3 different Tesla locations and got 3 different responses to when they stopped matching.

I agree. You'd think there would be a bit more consistency among the Tesla stores/galleries since they are all owned and operated by Tesla but customer shopping/buying experiences, answers to questions, etc. have been known to vary from location to location. Same goes for Tesla service centers.

i was also told they would match carmax and that the policy is changing on 6/1 but after i reserved the car and submitted carmax's appraisal it's crickets. they knew i was trading in my S and that CM appraisal was 10k higher. was your used advisor a woman from NJ by chance?

i was also told they would match carmax and that the policy is changing on 6/1 but after i reserved the car and submitted carmax's appraisal it's crickets. they knew i was trading in my S and that CM appraisal was 10k higher. was your used advisor a woman from NJ by chance?

Good luck with it. I'm curious to know if you get yours matched.

Mine is a woman from NY. She's been really friendly but doesn't sound like there's much to do about orders that wasn't placed prior to the price drop.

I'm thinking the big factor currently is the tremendous slowdown in sales of almost Everything (except maybe food, sanitizer stuff and toilet paper, etc.) and seeing news articles about overflowing used car lots and car rental lots and Hertz bankrupting and no major auto auctions in months (a major mover and determinant of used car prices), all combining to make everybody super squirrely about committing to a firm figure on a trade.
But maybe things will improve now that the economy is slow-opening back up.

Haven't posted here for a long while. Recently decided I wanted to upgrade to the new Raven Performance so I started probing for inventory cars. Got my appraisal, which was disappointing, and the SA told me to try my luck with CarMax since they price match. I took it and got a number that was 6.5k higher. Fast forward to yesterday, which the additional price drop, I thought what a great timing. Call SA back and she told me they stopped matching on CarMax values that same morning.. Is this a thing now?

What's funnier, is that I read somewhere else where the SA mentioned Tesla will stop matching on June 1st. I called another location just to double check and of course with Tesla disjointed internal communications, was told that they haven't price matched CarMax for months. Anyone out there with any accurate information or an SA they've worked with that is following the June 1st date?

Thanks for sharing this information... and sad to see the price matching going away in June.

Several months ago, CarMax stated that they were no longer selling Teslas (at least temporarily) due to unspecified "service and parts" issues. This may have something to do with Tesla's decision to stop matching CarMax values.

Carvana, however, still sells Teslas.

So, I was told today that Tesla will continue to price-match CarMax all day long on non-Tesla vehicles, but that they have never price-matched another Tesla with CarMax I have heard from employees that they stopped price matching last week, I heard from my sales advisor that the final day to match was June 1st and I hearf from the used delivery team today that it's never been a thing.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911