Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer see option to purchase extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At Tyson’s I even asked when I dropped a car off and they said to reply to the text message, no phone.

I thought that was about as useful as the pages of texts I had to send back and forth to the virtual service folks before the service visit. If we have to do that, rather use email and not texting.

I still can’t figure why the physical visit to a service center unless they need to go over the car. If that was the case I’d think they would require an appointment. At Tyson’s they are running 2 to 3 weeks out. Whole thing is weird.

Hope someone will report back on the experience!

I hope checking the car over is the main reason they are doing it.

Maybe they don’t want to sell it any time within OEM warranty and move towards selling it with the car model.

I had a chance to buy extended warranty when mine was reaching 50K miles two years ago but decided not to. Most financial people would tell you not to buy insurance or warranty unless you could not afford the risk. Odds always favor the seller of warranties.

I purchased mine a few months after buying the car and honestly thought I’d cancel it. I still have until December next year to decide... typically I’d anticipate these are priced out so that on average the company wins, so now this makes me think they were losing out on average and so I better keep the ESA!

How much did that cost you? You might have a point that maybe Tesla's ESA was an exception and a good deal.

Last edited:
yes, right, and that is why I said it depends on where you live as to whether or not you get them on the phone. Several places around the USA, but big cities often a problem. :)
Maybe I misunderstood your post. I thought you were making a blanket statement that people can't get an SC on the phone anywhere. ;)

Given all service centers are company owned, wouldn't any one be able to sell you an ESA? So couldn't you just call Silicon Desert's service center to ask if they can sell one? I doubt they actually need to an inspection while the car is still in warranty, because anything that fails would be fixed under warranty.

I am sufficiently spooked with removal of sales online to visit my center and make the plunge:

Just bought ESA for the X. Tesla is probably losing on this.

I have no confidence in Tesla being able to price products so removing it for sale (online) implies the ESA generates losses for them.

It’s not home appliance insurance where everything is a commodity and the premium vs payouts are well understood.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I still can’t figure why the physical visit to a service center unless they need to go over the car.
The obvious reason is to make it as hard as possible for you to get the agreement so you will throw up your hands and say "Forget it". Another possibility may relate to the laws regarding these policies in some states. It seems likely that a state which prohibits them from selling their cars might prohibit them from selling insurance.

I still can’t figure why the physical visit to a service center unless they need to go over the car. If that was the case I’d think they would require an appointment. At Tyson’s they are running 2 to 3 weeks out. Whole thing is weird.

Hope someone will report back on the experience!

Considering I drove the Volt to buy the ESA, a look over was not necessary. :)

The only reason that makes sense is they don’t want to sell it. It’s like the 35K SR - no reason except for one reason it’s not online.

Reactions: rjdoc74
I had a chance to buy extended warranty when mine was reaching 50K miles two years ago but decided not to. Most financial people would tell you not to buy insurance or warranty unless you could not afford the risk. Odds always favor the seller of warranties.

How much did that cost you? You might have a point that maybe Tesla's ESA was an exception and a good deal.

$4800 when I bought it in 6/2017. Yah typically exactly what you said I never buy these ever, but they said you could get refunded on a prorated basis based on how much you’ve used so I figure buy then and decide later...

I had previously purchased the extended warranty and now with the "new" display of manage your car and details I no longer see the extended warranty listed? I assume it is a display bug.

I do have extended service agreement. Just like for you it doesn’t show up in the new profile. I have contacted Tesla and was told that extended service agreement will not show up in the profile until original warranty expiration. Hope this helps.

The ESA disappeared from my 2013 Model S page and it is past the original warranty expiration. I've also lost the ability to schedule service from both the web page and the app. In addition, the picture of the car on the web page does match my car and is different between the main page (which shows both of my Tesla vehicles) and the detail page for the S. Something got messed up in the recent change. I've filed multiple support requests through the web page with no response.