Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sleeping after 2021.4.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their car stop sleeping after the latest update? I left on a trip last week and left my car at home. A camera in the garage has been reporting a "sound" event nearly every 15 min for over a week. The car stays awake for approx 15min, then you hear the relay click and it sleeps for 3-5 min, then you hear it click and wake back up starting the cycle again. My Unifi network logs also confirm this behavior. Before I left it was doing this some so I tried the following with no luck. No surprise my car is now draining about 5% per day jut chilling in a 70 degree garage.

1) Hard Reboot (Dozens of times)
2) Power Off in the menu
3) No 3rd party apps and even changed my Tesla password.
4) Disconnected USB devices
5) Switched from V3 wall connector to mobile connector
6) Turned off WiFi

I've been looking and have not seen anyone else report this, but after returning and trying all the troubleshooting steps again I'm looking at which issue type to file it under in the service section of the Tesla app. I've had my Dual Motor Model 3 for 2.5 years and never experienced this.. If anyone has a suggestion on something else to try that might help it sleep, I would appreciate your experience.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I received a notification that 2021.4.13 was available to install on my car. After installing it this morning, I thought I’d see if it happened to fix the problem. I currently have my car plugged in at home, not currently charging, and it has been asleep for 15 minutes so far. It usually didn’t stay asleep for any more than 1-3 minutes before. This could be the fix, but we’ll see if this keeps up.
It looks like 2021.4.13 is the fix, folks! My car has been sleeping while plugged in without issue for nearly six straight hours.

Upvote 0
I just got 2021.4.13, crossing my fingers it has the software fix
I received a notification that 2021.4.13 was available to install on my car. After installing it this morning, I thought I’d see if it happened to fix the problem. I currently have my car plugged in at home, not currently charging, and it has been asleep for 15 minutes so far. It usually didn’t stay asleep for any more than 1-3 minutes before. This could be the fix, but we’ll see if this keeps up.
That's great if it really has the fix in 2021.4.13! Better for everyone. vs getting parts replaced.

Reactions: cwhite51
Upvote 0
Service center replaced ecu and fixed a few other items (breather vents, musty smell, rear gasket issue, and loose drivers chair). Experience was great. Charging now, will leave overnight to see if issue is fixed, will report back. I'm also still on .12 version.

Upvote 0
Any of you guys with the new ECU get 4.13 yet?

My mobile tech said there was a 50/50 shot of the ECU fixing my issue, and sure enough it didn't. He started looking at some live data on the car with his iPhone and saw that the "front computer" was not sleeping due to an HVAC call that wouldn't go away.
I'm on 4.12 and have been for a couple weeks. My issues started a few versions before that.

Upvote 0
Any of you guys with the new ECU get 4.13 yet?

My mobile tech said there was a 50/50 shot of the ECU fixing my issue, and sure enough it didn't. He started looking at some live data on the car with his iPhone and saw that the "front computer" was not sleeping due to an HVAC call that wouldn't go away.
I have 4.13 and things are still working fine. Interesting on the HVAC, they stated they saw calls from the chargeport on my car before the update.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Upvote 0
I have 4.13 and things are still working fine. Interesting on the HVAC, they stated they saw calls from the chargeport on my car before the update.
Well, I just went out to the garage and my car is plugged in and sleeping on 4.12. I guess it took a day or two. So we can consider mine fixed now too. :)

The HVAC thing must've been completely unrelated... strange.

Reactions: TMXATX
Upvote 0
Hi all

I'm on 2121.4.12
I've noticed that my contactors are thunking once every 2 to 5 minutes, while parked at home, not charging but plugged in. Sentry mode is off. I can tell the car isn't asleep b/c my cig lighter port is powered (I can tell from outside the car, I have an lcd rear view mirror plugged into it). It used to be that it would be dark until I opened the door, then it would power up. Seems to always be on now.
Car also connects to the app instantly, no more "waking up".

I don't use teslafi or any other external stuff that would keep it awake.

At first I thought this was only happening when I was near the car and it was waking up b/c I was nearby with my phone, but someone mentioned to me that it was happening when I was far away.

Is this normal these days? Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Hi all

I'm on 2121.4.12
I've noticed that my contactors are thunking once every 2 to 5 minutes, while parked at home, not charging but plugged in. Sentry mode is off. I can tell the car isn't asleep b/c my cig lighter port is powered (I can tell from outside the car, I have an lcd rear view mirror plugged into it). It used to be that it would be dark until I opened the door, then it would power up. Seems to always be on now.
Car also connects to the app instantly, no more "waking up".

I don't use teslafi or any other external stuff that would keep it awake.

At first I thought this was only happening when I was near the car and it was waking up b/c I was nearby with my phone, but someone mentioned to me that it was happening when I was far away.

Is this normal these days? Thoughts?
Take a look at this thread.

(moderator note: posts moved to existing thread on discussion, thanks for pointing it out)

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed this issue with firmware 2022.12.3.16? I haven’t had problems before, but now the car seems to be clicking a relay (HV relay?) 5-10minutes. Just in case I turned off my phones bluetooth, but same result.
I'm upto 2022.16.2, and the problem has resolved itself sometime over the last few software updates.

It was NOT great when the non-sleep almost got be stranded during a road trip, but it seams to be fixed. For now.

Upvote 0
I'm upto 2022.16.2, and the problem has resolved itself sometime over the last few software updates.

It was NOT great when the non-sleep almost got be stranded during a road trip, but it seams to be fixed. For now.

I now have a different Tesla from when I originally started this thread, but early Saturday morning I noticed the car kept waking up and sleeping similar to the issue that I saw previously. It seems to have resolved itself and has been normal since that one time. FW 2022.16.2

Upvote 0
I had this issue around April of 2021 immediately after a software update (HV relay cycling and preventing the car from sleeping).

Tesla re-installed the update, but it did not fix it. It was fixed after a software update a couple of weeks later. My temporary solution to save the contactor was to turn sentry mode on while parked (even at home) to prevent the car from sleeping. I understand this isn't convenient for some (I normally have sentry off to save energy), but it was worth the hassle to save some contactor cycles.

Upvote 0