Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sleeping after 2021.4.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their car stop sleeping after the latest update? I left on a trip last week and left my car at home. A camera in the garage has been reporting a "sound" event nearly every 15 min for over a week. The car stays awake for approx 15min, then you hear the relay click and it sleeps for 3-5 min, then you hear it click and wake back up starting the cycle again. My Unifi network logs also confirm this behavior. Before I left it was doing this some so I tried the following with no luck. No surprise my car is now draining about 5% per day jut chilling in a 70 degree garage.

1) Hard Reboot (Dozens of times)
2) Power Off in the menu
3) No 3rd party apps and even changed my Tesla password.
4) Disconnected USB devices
5) Switched from V3 wall connector to mobile connector
6) Turned off WiFi

I've been looking and have not seen anyone else report this, but after returning and trying all the troubleshooting steps again I'm looking at which issue type to file it under in the service section of the Tesla app. I've had my Dual Motor Model 3 for 2.5 years and never experienced this.. If anyone has a suggestion on something else to try that might help it sleep, I would appreciate your experience.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
D93D3D69-D11F-4CCF-B3C0-2D09E3BA37AD.jpeg

Well... false hope.

Upvote 0
Two recent threads in other teslamotorsclub forums that seem to be on the same issue:

Reactions: TMXATX
Upvote 0
I’m having the same issue: 2019 M3P built July 2019. After updating to 2021.4.11, it will not stay asleep when plugged in and not charging. I have a service request open and they told me this is a known issue and engineering is investIgating. They told me it would be better to leave it unplugged if possible, to prevent it from cycling on & off so much. I can hear it in my garage clicking on & off every 15 minutes. That can‘t be good for it.

Has anyone here tried leaving sentry mode on while plugged in (Not charging)? Would that prevent it from clicking on and off so much?
I am leaving for a vacation soon and I really do not like leaving my car sitting unplugged that long if i can ever avoid it. The owners manual makes a big deal to “LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN” if left for extended periods.

Attachments

• 567C8554-0263-49AD-A205-D235B7E58E1C.jpeg
    567C8554-0263-49AD-A205-D235B7E58E1C.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
I’m having the same issue: 2019 M3P built July 2019. After updating to 2021.4.11, it will not stay asleep when plugged in and not charging. I have a service request open and they told me this is a known issue and engineering is investIgating. They told me it would be better to leave it unplugged if possible, to prevent it from cycling on & off so much. I can hear it in my garage clicking on & off every 15 minutes. That can‘t be good for it.

Has anyone here tried leaving sentry mode on while plugged in (Not charging)? Would that prevent it from clicking on and off so much?
I am leaving for a vacation soon and I really do not like leaving my car sitting unplugged that long if i can ever avoid it. The owners manual makes a big deal to “LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN” if left for extended periods.

I have been using sentry mode to keep the car awake in the garage whenever I want to have it plugged in. Works fine.

Reactions: Stevs6382
Upvote 0
I'm glad to have finally found this site/thread so I know I'm not the only one seeing this. I have a 2018 M3 AWD without FSD (HW 2.5), and it is usually plugged into my gen 3 wall connector. I've tried modifying all the sleep settings in TeslaFi (which had never caused any problems before 2021.4.11), force closing the iPhone Tesla app, changing my Tesla password, a touchscreen reboot, a power cycle, and even a hard reset. It was my first time doing the disconnect battery and connector method... I was moderately terrified.

The only thing that has worked so far is to leave it unplugged with the default TeslaFi sleep settings. I'm hoping 2021.4.12 fixes it (if not it then an update soon after that one).

Upvote 0
:D "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

I think everyone is complaining that their cars are NOT falling asleep when they want it to.
Right... if you read back the problem is the car cycles the HV contactors every 2 minutes when it's trying to sleep so someone asked about using Sentry to keep it awake while plugged in so it doesn't constantly cycle.

Reactions: Stevs6382
Upvote 0
Much like @SK360, I updated my car to 2021.4.12 and the problem persists. 😕

For now, I guess I’ll turn off the sleep settings in TeslaFi and let it remain idle when connected to the charger. Or, I could go the sentry mode at home route... Hopefully this will be fixed soon!
It's not the car. It's your TeslaFi. It's amazing that no one tells you when they have a third party app that can potentially prevent it from sleeping.

Upvote 0
It's not the car. It's your TeslaFi. It's amazing that no one tells you when they have a third party app that can potentially prevent it from sleeping.
It’s not TeslaFi..... I have never connected a third party app to my car and have changed my password just to make sure nothing was hitting it. But hey everyone in this thread is lying about that.

Reactions: Timbo2 and TMXATX
Upvote 0
Has anybody with this issue taken the drastic step of the factory reset?

You can erase all personal data (saved addresses, music
favorites, HomeLink programming, etc.) and restore all
customized settings to their factory defaults. This is
useful when transferring ownership of Model 3. Touch
Controls > Service > FACTORY RESET. Before erasing,
Model 3 verifies your credentials by prompting you to
enter the user name and password associated with your
Tesla Account.

Upvote 0
@Gasaraki , plenty of people including myself have used TeslaFi for a long while without it preventing the car from sleeping. It can be configured to prevent sleeping if you really want to screw it up, but it's not systematically the problem. It's a good idea to suggest to temporarily disable it for a test. However I think saying "it's your teslafi!" perpetuates those hard-dying myths.

Upvote 0
I've tested many options and confirmed the only way to prevent this issue is to keep Sentry Mode enabled (uncheck Exclude Home). Anything that prevents the car from going to sleep will actually help reduce network traffic, battery usage, and the battery disconnect/reconnect sound. Nothing to do with third party apps, in fact they might actually help if they prevent it from going to sleep.

Upvote 0
@Gasaraki , plenty of people including myself have used TeslaFi for a long while without it preventing the car from sleeping. It can be configured to prevent sleeping if you really want to screw it up, but it's not systematically the problem. It's a good idea to suggest to temporarily disable it for a test. However I think saying "it's your teslafi!" perpetuates those hard-dying myths.

but when people have issues with the car sleeping, the very first thing they should always do is disable all third party apps and see if the problem persists. Its not a myth that those apps can interfere with the car sleeping, just like its not a myth that they can usually be configured to NOT prevent sleeping.

Sometimes they (third party a[pps) need to be updated by the developer because of some change or other tesla makes, so its not correct to say "these apps never cause a problem cause I configured it not to".

Its true that the problem is not always the third party app, but one should always start there and disable it if you have this type of problem. In this specific case though, people are reporting it when they state they never use third party apps.

Reactions: Zinjan
Upvote 0
One interesting (at least to me) observation-- It doesn't matter if the connector is supplying power, as long as the connector is plugged into the car, the car would cycle through the asleep/awake states repeatedly. I learned this by staying in the garage to monitor after cutting the power to the connector while leaving the car plugged in. There goes my idea of using a smart plug to gate the power to the connector, saving me a trip to the garage to unplug the connector when charging completes.

Reactions: superblast
Upvote 0