Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sleeping after 2021.4.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their car stop sleeping after the latest update? I left on a trip last week and left my car at home. A camera in the garage has been reporting a "sound" event nearly every 15 min for over a week. The car stays awake for approx 15min, then you hear the relay click and it sleeps for 3-5 min, then you hear it click and wake back up starting the cycle again. My Unifi network logs also confirm this behavior. Before I left it was doing this some so I tried the following with no luck. No surprise my car is now draining about 5% per day jut chilling in a 70 degree garage.

1) Hard Reboot (Dozens of times)
2) Power Off in the menu
3) No 3rd party apps and even changed my Tesla password.
4) Disconnected USB devices
5) Switched from V3 wall connector to mobile connector
6) Turned off WiFi

I've been looking and have not seen anyone else report this, but after returning and trying all the troubleshooting steps again I'm looking at which issue type to file it under in the service section of the Tesla app. I've had my Dual Motor Model 3 for 2.5 years and never experienced this.. If anyone has a suggestion on something else to try that might help it sleep, I would appreciate your experience.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Service told me 1-2 days they want the car to replace the "charge port ECU"... no idea if that would help and I hate to have them with my car for that long over something that will probably be fixed in the next update. Really not sure what to do.
I’m fearing a similar response, I have service scheduled for Friday morning. I updated my service request with some time frames when I had it plugged in suggesting they can check logs. I guess it’s possible that the charging ECU had a failed update. I have not heard anything from Tesla as of yet. The only other thing that happened last week as I was signed out all my Tesla app the day after I opened a ticket.

Upvote 0
I've decided to take it in tomorrow morning. Figure better now then needing to address it once my weekend racing season kicks off and I won't want to be out of a car. We are also sanding drywall and painting the garage this weekend so its a good weekend to have the car gone. Will keep this thread updated with what they say.

Upvote 0
I've decided to take it in tomorrow morning. Figure better now then needing to address it once my weekend racing season kicks off and I won't want to be out of a car. We are also sanding drywall and painting the garage this weekend so its a good weekend to have the car gone. Will keep this thread updated with what they say.
Tesla Service contacted me today. Their initial response was to suggest it might be a third party app and that I change my password. To help them troubleshoot, I reset my password again after making sure I was signed out of everything but the Tesla app I'm replying to them on. They asked me to message when the car was plugged in so they could monitor. They are monitoring it now and the cycling started within 30 min, so hopefully they are getting some good data.

Upvote 0
Update from my end. Tesla has engineering monitoring my car logs and I'm leaving it plugged in as much as it pains me to hear it cycle on and off. They still think it's related to a mobile app, but the fact it sleeps when unplugged triggered an ask for me to disable mobile access in the car overnight while they monitor. The problem persists, so we'll see where they go with it Friday.

Upvote 0
Dropped the car off this morning. Pretty pissed as I had a meeting to be home for and service assured me a loaner would be waiting. Got there and they had to call Enterprise to bring me a rental car, missed my meeting. My buddy is a tech there, he said they replaced the chargeport ECU already and reinstalled 2021.4.12 and are monitoring it now.

Reactions: TMXATX
Upvote 0
Dropped the car off this morning. Pretty pissed as I had a meeting to be home for and service assured me a loaner would be waiting. Got there and they had to call Enterprise to bring me a rental car, missed my meeting. My buddy is a tech there, he said they replaced the chargeport ECU already and reinstalled 2021.4.12 and are monitoring it now.
Thanks for the updates, and I hope that fixes it for you! My assumption so far was this being a software-related problem since most of the posts seem to indicate this issue appearing when 2021.4.x was downloaded. But if the ECU swap fixed it, maybe the rest of us having issues will get similar replacements. I’m guessing it was covered under warranty?

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd pitch my experience in too. I've had this same issue, and Tesla remotely checked the car and said that for the past few weeks, he sees USB read errors. So he was thinking maybe this is keeping the car up but to troubleshoot, asked if I could remove my SSD and see if it continues. So far, it seems to have stopped. But of course, this brings into question:
- did the update corrupt my SSD (I am still able to record new sentry/dashcam recordings, replay them, so probably just one portion got corrupt?)?
- could it just be sentry issues (even though my sentry is set to be off when at home) and unplugging SSD just 'fixes' it in the sense that sentry stopped without USB drive plugged in
- if I reformat my SSD and plug in, will it stop doing this? if not, then I think it could be a problem with the software update and sentry/dashcam feature

Upvote 0
OK, update that aligns with your experience. They want to go ahead and replace my charge port. In short they said it's a new niche issue they don't have much info on yet. I've spent the last two days trying a ton of different steps with service and things just got worse. They said my 2018 car has an older revision of the charger port hardware and updating to a newer hardware has resolved the issue with other customers. Since they don't know a software fix at this time. It does sound like the 2021.4.11 update may have been the trigger, but would not confirm. In the meantime, I'll leave it unplugged.

Upvote 0
OK, update that aligns with your experience. They want to go ahead and replace my charge port. In short they said it's a new niche issue they don't have much info on yet. I've spent the last two days trying a ton of different steps with service and things just got worse. They said my 2018 car has an older revision of the charger port hardware and updating to a newer hardware has resolved the issue with other customers. Since they don't know a software fix at this time. It does sound like the 2021.4.11 update may have been the trigger, but would not confirm. In the meantime, I'll leave it unplugged.
Says my car is done and ready for pickup. Said they had it sleeping 2 hours plugged in with no sounds... I’m skeptical but we’ll see.

I’m a life long GM guy having owned multiple Corvettes in the past.... but this V6 Camaro they have me in for a rental is soul sucking.... although probably better than a Tesla stuck in Chill mode
921DDFAD-85B6-43FB-8375-C615378674A5.jpeg

Upvote 0
Could one of you who had the fix private message me your sc location and service rep name? It might help my sc... they said their diagnostic guy is out until Monday. I'd like to give them the information if it'll help mine get fixed. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I’m having the same issue: 2019 M3P built July 2019. After updating to 2021.4.11, it will not stay asleep when plugged in and not charging. I have a service request open and they told me this is a known issue and engineering is investIgating. They told me it would be better to leave it unplugged if possible, to prevent it from cycling on & off so much. I can hear it in my garage clicking on & off every 15 minutes. That can‘t be good for it.

Has anyone here tried leaving sentry mode on while plugged in (Not charging)? Would that prevent it from clicking on and off so much?
I am leaving for a vacation soon and I really do not like leaving my car sitting unplugged that long if i can ever avoid it. The owners manual makes a big deal to “LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN” if left for extended periods.
Update: today, (3/26/21) Tesla mobile service came to my house and replaced my charge port ECU. That has fixed my issue. My car is now sleeping while plugged in (not charging). I also updated to 2021.4.12 a few days ago, but the issue still persisted until my chargeport ECU was replaced. Hope this helps you guys. If you’re still experiencing this issue, book a service appointment.

Attachments

• 3266793E-4DBB-4AA1-90F7-F3C949C12472.png
    3266793E-4DBB-4AA1-90F7-F3C949C12472.png
    719.9 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
Update: today, (3/26/21) Tesla mobile service came to my house and replaced my charge port ECU. That has fixed my issue. My car is now sleeping while plugged in (not charging). I also updated to 2021.4.12 a few days ago, but the issue still persisted until my chargeport ECU was replaced. Hope this helps you guys. If you’re still experiencing this issue, book a service appointment.
Good to hear, seems like they have identified the issue. I’m picking my car up in a bit but won’t have it back in the garage for a few days.

I wonder how many people have the issue and think it’s normal or don’t notice they have the issue... I can’t imagine the constant cycles on the contactors is good for them however Tesla has proven they don’t care about longevity and repair cost with the eMMC issue

Upvote 0
Says my car is done and ready for pickup. Said they had it sleeping 2 hours plugged in with no sounds... I’m skeptical but we’ll see.

I’m a life long GM guy having owned multiple Corvettes in the past.... but this V6 Camaro they have me in for a rental is soul sucking.... although probably better than a Tesla stuck in Chill mode
View attachment 648293

This is the second time I've heard mentioned rental V6 Camaros. In the old days the domestic guys used to push two doors like this out be able to keep the lines going. It just seems an odd choice to add to a rental fleet other than cost. If you or I were going to buy something similarly priced for utility and operating costs we'd could get something with four doors and better mileage for the same price.

Upvote 0
Good to hear, seems like they have identified the issue. I’m picking my car up in a bit but won’t have it back in the garage for a few days.

I wonder how many people have the issue and think it’s normal or don’t notice they have the issue... I can’t imagine the constant cycles on the contactors is good for them however Tesla has proven they don’t care about longevity and repair cost with the eMMC issue
My service rep texted me today to follow up and make sure my issue is 100% fixed. He said he’s taking my old chargeport ECU and plugging it into their test mule car to see if engineering can figure out why it broke. Maybe the fix for others in the future could be a simple software patch instead of hardware replacement? I have no idea, but for right now, replacing the chargeport ECU is the only known fix for the issue.

Upvote 0
I've got a 12/18 build doing this too and it got a new charge port back in December, but nothing mentioned about the charge port ECU. I kind of want to wait until the next SW revision pushes out to see if it's fixed before scheduling mobile service. Currently on 2021.4.12.

Also just went out to the garage and heard a "tick tock" sound coming from the charge port. Every 4 seconds it does this double click whether something is plugged in or not, whether the charge port door is open or not. The car was awake. Weird... Anyone else hear this in a quiet garage?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My service rep texted me today to follow up and make sure my issue is 100% fixed. He said he’s taking my old chargeport ECU and plugging it into their test mule car to see if engineering can figure out why it broke. Maybe the fix for others in the future could be a simple software patch instead of hardware replacement? I have no idea, but for right now, replacing the chargeport ECU is the only known fix for the issue.

Thanks @Stevs6382 . After my service rep tried all sorts of things to fix it, I showed him your invoice and they decided to try replacing my chargeport ECU as well and that seems to have fixed it.

I can't imagine the software update broke it but maybe there is some incompatibility with the latest code/features introduced in 2021.4.11? In either case, I'm on 2021.4.12 (I waited to report the issue, hoping 2021.4.12 would fix it) and no longer have the issue.

Upvote 0