Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sleeps, car awake for 3 days after enabling unlock at home option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
I noticed the tesla is instantly responding in the app, so i checked and its been awake for 3 days. It hasn't gone to sleep since I washed it.

The car had slept a bit after the firmware update, but shortly after that I enabled the "stay unlocked at home" option, which I think might be causing the vehicle to stay awake.

Anyone else see this?

Capture.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I have noticed a similar effect. When I use the new "Stay unlocked at home" feature the screen stays on when charging, for several minutes. Like more than 5. I will have to try to time it more accurately, but I came back out 3 different times and it wasn't until the final time that the screen turned off. Each time I kept my phone in the house.

I do like having the car stay unlocked in the garage. Disabling this feature will allow the car's screen to go off a few seconds after plugging in.

It went to sleep after i disabled stay unlock at home option. I didn't change anything else.
I noticed the same issue:

- if I turn on "stay unlocked at home", the car never goes to Sleep mode, only the screen turns off after 5 minutes.

- if I turn off "stay unlocked at home", the car goes to Sleep mode after 10 minutes from the time the car locks itself after I close the door.

Note: I have a Blackvue DR900 dashcam connected to the Cloud by WiFi and plugged to the 12 V auxiliary plug.

Every time the dashcam starts or stops recording I receive an alert
on my phone so I know when the car wakes up or goes to deep sleep.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Massive Attack
Something I tried today:

Step 1:
- I set the "stay unlocked at home" turned off.
- I close the door and I let the car to lock itself while walking away.
- I let the car going to sleep locked.

Step 2:
- Later on, remotely using my phone App, I connect to the car to unlock the car.
- After 10 minutes, the car goes to sleep unlocked.

Step 3:
- I walk to my car without my phone, the car was unlocked, I was able to open the door.
- I close the door, and walk away.
- After 10 minutes, the car goes back to sleep unlocked.

The Step 3 is what we should expect by setting the "stay unlocked at home" but as shown previously the car was not going to sleep.

Note:
- I know that the car is unlocked because the side mirrors are not folded.
- And I know that the car is sleeping because I have an extra wireless phone charger inside the car and I can see that the LED is off.

well, I'm still not driving my car anywhere, so it should have been sleeping all this time, but it managed to wake up and its sitting here awake. I decided to go into the car, hit the power off option on the menu and then close the door.

Capture.PNG

I checked the car again today and its still online. I disabled BT on my phone in case somehow my phone kept it on, but it didn't help.

I just went to the garage and found I could enter the vehicle even though BT was disabled. So I check and the 'walk away and lock' exclusion option for home was enabled again. So I disabled it (again), hopefully it stays disabled now and the car goes to sleep.

2020.24.6.4 is the update that doesn't let the car sleep with disable locks at home option. I just received a new update this morning (2020.24.6.9), so I'll try the option again to see if it fixes it.

Teslamate has a setting for the car to be locked in order to fall asleep. Did you check/change that? Default is it only sleeps when locked. So teslamate could be keeping it awake

It doesn't matter. Teslamate doesn't wake up the car when it fetches updates because it no longer polls for data. It uses the streaming socket API

I disabled the option and my car has been asleep since then. It's pretty conclusive considering I've switched the option on and off and that has determined if it can go to sleep or not with 100% accuracy.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer