Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No LTE Connectivity - eSim failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Software update failure"

Car download 2020.48.10 last night which I installed this morning. Car reported that autopilot camera wasn't working and may resume on next drive, I didn't notice until I was out so when I stopped I parked to see if it would come back. It didn't so I tried a reset via the buttons on the steering wheel but still no change. I then tried a hard reset (using the brake as well) and everything went haywire! Didn't have any map, no mobile date connection, no visualisations no 'sos' functionality, obviously lost all my defaults and the right camera still wasn't working. Now back home and managed to connect to wi-fi and now have map data although the car says maps are not loaded, it still thinks it is at Tesla HQ in the states, basically it's a mess :-( Tried road assist and they are closed and I can't get a service appointment until the end of the week. With no working navigation I might have to get a paper map out!

Anyone else had a problem with the update?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try the live chat on the Tesla website (choose North America). They fixed (I think) my 2020.48.10 download being stuck on 50% for a few hours. Haven’t driven the car since to see if mine is behaving or not though.

Reactions: CMc1
I had a problem around a year ago when my touchscreen totally failed. I could drive the car but no speed indicator or power steering. I contacted Birmingham SC and they had the car towed. Two business days later it was ready for collection. They blamed an error when downloading a software update.

@Mumraa - please see the thread I created this week, sounds exactly the same & mine is booked into service tomorrow eSim failure

My LTE connection disappeared on 44.25 but I have been able to update to 48.10 via home wifi. LTE and all connectivity once I drive away is still missing unless I tether to my phone. What 'current' software is your car showing?

I don't believe this is related just to the latest update 48.10 for that reason (& I've just seen a third new thread reporting the same issue - have asked our Moderator to merge them as this may indicate a wider problem occurring)

Last edited:
@Twurzel - please see the thread I created on Monday this week, sounds exactly the same & mine is booked into service tomorrow eSim failure

My LTE connection disappeared on 44.25 but I have been able to update to 48.10 via home wifi. LTE and all connectivity once I drive away is still missing unless I tether to my phone.

I don't believe this is related just to 48.10 for that reason (& I've just seen a third new thread reporting the same issue - have asked our Moderator to merge them as this may indicate a wider problem occurring)

Last edited:
Reactions: Twurzel
Interesting.. mine did this a few days ago, lost mobile signal and gave the esos warning while I was driving. However, after I parked and later returned to the car the signal was back. At the time I thought I'd just lost signal, even though it always worked in the same place before.

When the signal was lost, the maps didn't display, no roads shown at all. This puzzled me as I thought the maps were stored offline.

I did wonder if some kind of esim update was happening.

Update

So the LTE signal is back and the car now shows that I am back in the UK. The RHS wing camera still isn't working and the car has no navigation file. This means that I can not 'navigate' anywhere so if I set a destination it tells me to connect to Wi-Fi so it can get the nav file. It was connected all night but still no luck this morning. Interesting side effect is that when it sees a road sign it assumes it is km/h and as I have speed displayed in mph going through a 40 limits to 25 mph etc. Much of the autopilot functionality isn't available (probably due to map or camera I would think). Car booked in for Wednesday but hopefully they will be able to do something remotely.

That sounds like a huge mess.

I read somewhere that Tesla were changing from the existing LTE supplier to O2? Being an eSIM they could do that on a whim. That would explain an extended dropout, but not much of the other stuff. I can’t find the thread about it now though, so maybe I’m going mad.

No maps at all is just weird.

As said before if you want an immediate response Tesla live chat (US website) works.