Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No luck using VIN searches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, soon to be Model X owner here after having an X5M totaled :/ I'm full of BMW resources, Tesla not so much.

I've tried searching this VIN but only can find one ad for a dealership in NJ but the writing on the window had me inclined to think it's an insurance auto auction. Seller says it's a branded title from a software issue, Tesla website confirms three recalls, but to brand it from that? Was hoping for more educated opinions and advice for things to watch with a branded vehicle. I'm deciding between either this one for $54k with 46k miles or another 2016 for $58k but with 92k though.

Screenshot_20220607-083908.png
Screenshot_20220607-083744.png
Screenshot_20220607-084433.png

Hello all, soon to be Model X owner here after having an X5M totaled :/ I'm full of BMW resources, Tesla not so much.

I've tried searching this VIN but only can find one ad for a dealership in NJ but the writing on the window had me inclined to think it's an insurance auto auction. Seller says it's a branded title from a software issue, Tesla website confirms three recalls, but to brand it from that? Was hoping for more educated opinions and advice for things to watch with a branded vehicle. I'm deciding between either this one for $54k with 46k miles or another 2016 for $58k but with 92k though.

View attachment 813692View attachment 813693View attachment 813694

"branded title" = "Branded title". The reason its branded doesnt matter, for most people.

"Oh that branded title? its just a software issue, the car runs great!" is basically the same thing as saying " The car may have 50k miles on it, but it was driven by a senior citizen back and forth to church and home, ignore the rental agency ownership you see on there, thats an error" Or something like that.

The only people who should even be considering branded title cars already know everything they need to know about branded title cars, and how to deal with them (imo).

That's a very early VIN... some early Model X's had some initial issues that were worked out as production went on. Seeing that that this was a lemon-law buyback, it makes me think that this particular example might be one of those that had issues...

Note: There is no requirement that a manufacturer buyback vehicle gets fixed before resale. There's a possibility this vehicle still has the same issue(s) that it was bought back for. But as a used-vehicle owner, you'd have no recourse. Also -- seeing as it appears it was bought back in 2020... that means Tesla tried (unsuccessfully) for potentially 2-4 years to fix it. Yikes.

Now... it's also very possible that everything was fixed with this vehicle, and it's in great shape. Personally, I wouldn't want to gamble $54 (never mind $54k) on the word of a used car salesman.

You can get the CarFax report for around $40 to check the details for this VIN.

But this is what I found (do confirm!):

09/10/2020
WA
Motor Vehicle Dept.

MANUFACTURER BUYBACK

09/10/2020
CA
Motor Vehicle Dept.

LEMON
Sorry all, I didn't have reply notifications turned on!!

Other than the lemon, which I already knew about, how much more is Carfax gonna tell me though?

That's a very early VIN... some early Model X's had some initial issues that were worked out as production went on. Seeing that that this was a lemon-law buyback, it makes me think that this particular example might be one of those that had issues...

Note: There is no requirement that a manufacturer buyback vehicle gets fixed before resale. There's a possibility this vehicle still has the same issue(s) that it was bought back for. But as a used-vehicle owner, you'd have no recourse. Also -- seeing as it appears it was bought back in 2020... that means Tesla tried (unsuccessfully) for potentially 2-4 years to fix it. Yikes.

Now... it's also very possible that everything was fixed with this vehicle, and it's in great shape. Personally, I wouldn't want to gamble $54 (never mind $54k) on the word of a used car salesman.

"branded title" = "Branded title". The reason its branded doesnt matter, for most people.

"Oh that branded title? its just a software issue, the car runs great!" is basically the same thing as saying " The car may have 50k miles on it, but it was driven by a senior citizen back and forth to church and home, ignore the rental agency ownership you see on there, thats an error" Or something like that.

The only people who should even be considering branded title cars already know everything they need to know about branded title cars, and how to deal with them (imo)
I've finally seen the vehicle in person and drove it. Best as I can see, the parking sensors in the back down work in that they don't beep at all...backup camera still works. With no sensors, the Summons feature is blacked out, so I can only assume the two are related. Other than that, it drove fine. I did meet him at the dealership where he was dropping it off for the eMMC recall so we'll see what Tesla says when they give it back to him.

On a side note, I look at two other 2016's (not by choice, it's just what I'm finding) in the form of an S P100D w/ 99k for $59k and an X P100D w/ 64k for $65k. After driving the S P100D today I can't see myself getting something slower so hopefully one of these panout instead.

On a side note, I look at two other 2016's (not by choice, it's just what I'm finding) in the form of an S P100D w/ 99k for $59k and an X P100D w/ 64k for $65k. After driving the S P100D today I can't see myself getting something slower so hopefully one of these panout instead.
That seems insanely cheap for an X p100d with anything less than 200k miles. What’s the deal there?

That seems insanely cheap for an X p100d with anything less than 200k miles. What’s the deal there?
I wouldn't call $65k for a nearly 100k vehicle insanely cheap by any means. So far it needs front halfshafts, motor mount (this doesn't usually get replaced and the shudder comes back months later from what I've read) and tires...all of which I'm shopping around for now since I have no issue wrenching on it myself.

I wouldn't call $65k for a nearly 100k vehicle insanely cheap by any means. So far it needs front halfshafts, motor mount (this doesn't usually get replaced and the shudder comes back months later from what I've read) and tires...all of which I'm shopping around for now since I have no issue wrenching on it myself.
It’s insanely cheap.

That’s a 80-89k car in the current market.