Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Massage Chairs??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Volvo XC90 with massage chairs and my X doesn’t? I love my all my cars for different reasons but it seems like Tesla could add a few more ‘luxury’ options.
For the price point that it’s at now, it really should have the option at the very least if not standard.

At the end of the day they probably just don’t want to deal with the warranty claims that will inevitably come from it.

For the price point that it’s at now, it really should have the option at the very least if not standard.

At the end of the day they probably just don’t want to deal with the warranty claims that will inevitably come from it.
I will never understand the "For this price point" argument as far too simple of a metric to use for comparison.

It doesn't take into account that your comparing apples to aardvarks when you compare something powered by the highest tech battery technology known to man versus something that burns fossil fuels that's been around for over a century. When that's what you're building your platform around your pricing is going to allow for more luxuries at similar price points.

How much do you think that XC90 would cost if Volve even had the ability to make it an EV, give it 350 miles of range and 0-60 in the 3-second range let alone Autopilot and the Supercharging infrastructure available? It would be $100k more and people would stop with the "well my [insert luxury brand here] cost..." type arguments.

Like I said, the Lambo costs over 2x more and nobody is saying the fact that it doesn't have massaging seats as a negative. Tesla isn't a luxury brand, regardless of the price point. Never has been.

I will never understand the "For this price point" argument as far too simple of a metric to use for comparison.

It doesn't take into account that your comparing apples to aardvarks when you compare something powered by the highest tech battery technology known to man versus something that burns fossil fuels that's been around for over a century. When that's what you're building your platform around your pricing is going to allow for more luxuries at similar price points.

How much do you think that XC90 would cost if Volve even had the ability to make it an EV, give it 350 miles of range and 0-60 in the 3-second range let alone Autopilot and the Supercharging infrastructure available? It would be $100k more and people would stop with the "well my Mercedes cost..." type arguments.
iX has massage as an option and kitted out is cheaper than the MX LR refresh.

Even the M60 is cheaper!

Reactions: johnking
most massaging chairs in a lot of cars are pointless until you get to flagship models. I love the massage in my A8 but I maybe use them like once a month so it wasn't a deal break in my plaid x. Every other "massage" seats I've been in just play around with lumbar in an annoying way without a dedicated bladder track/rollers purely for massage.

iX has massage as an option and kitted out is cheaper than the MX LR refresh.

Even the M60 is cheaper!
And yet neither one can beat it for either range or 0-60, let alone both. I'll take higher range and lower 0-60 over some poorly performing & failure-prone massage seats any day. I guess when you chose to leave out the two most important metrics I mentioned in my post to make your point you assumed nobody would notice.

The fact of the matter is that the competition can't come even close to hitting both of those metrics the way Tesla has and that's worth something. Those that are trying to meet or better them are selling cars that cost 2x more to be able to make it happen.

Not everyone wants the same car with the same features so that's why there's so many different options. If massaging seats is the most important thing to you then the Tesla isn't the car for you. I don't go into Lamborghini forums talking about how the car is a rip-off for $300k when it's not even an EV. I also don't go into BMW forums to complain about the lack of towing capacity on the 3-series cars. Tesla isn't a luxury brand so expecting luxury appointments because of a price tag is a faulty starting point.

Personally, I'd rather not have the prices go up for empty options that are more marketing hype than they are additive (at least not to the level of their price tag) to the overall experience.

How much do you think that XC90 would cost if Volve even had the ability to make it an EV, give it 350 miles of range and 0-60 in the 3-second range let alone Autopilot and the Supercharging infrastructure available? It would be $100k more and people would stop with the "well my [insert luxury brand here] cost..." type arguments.

Like I said, the Lambo costs over 2x more and nobody is saying the fact that it doesn't have massaging seats as a negative. Tesla isn't a luxury brand, regardless of the price point. Never has been.

You are over generalizing for the sake of arguing. Lamborghini has sports cars which do not have massage seats because they are pushing the driving experience. The Urus, their SUV does have massage seats. The X is not marketed as a high performance sports car with an engaging driving experience.

And yet neither one can beat it for either range or 0-60, let alone both. I'll take higher range and lower 0-60 over some poorly performing & failure-prone massage seats any day. I guess when you chose to leave out the two most important metrics I mentioned in my post to make your point you assumed nobody would notice.

The fact of the matter is that the competition can't come even close to hitting both of those metrics the way Tesla has and that's worth something. Those that are trying to meet or better them are selling cars that cost 2x more to be able to make it happen.

Not everyone wants the same car with the same features so that's why there's so many different options. If massaging seats is the most important thing to you then the Tesla isn't the car for you. I don't go into Lamborghini forums talking about how the car is a rip-off for $300k when it's not even an EV. I also don't go into BMW forums to complain about the lack of towing capacity on the 3-series cars. Tesla isn't a luxury brand so expecting luxury appointments because of a price tag is a faulty starting point.

Tesla may not be a luxury brand as a whole, but the S and X are positioned to as luxury vehicles.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Personally, I'd rather not have the prices go up for empty options that are more marketing hype than they are additive (at least not to the level of their price tag) to the overall experience.

Idk i think my model x plaid has some nice luxuries when I compare it to my A8L. Like i get annoyed now when I walk up to my A8 and my brain freezes for a couple seconds waiting for the door to open up for me, then I realize I have to open it myself. Also think the air suspension on the X feels great with a huge variance in feel. plush boaty feel on the highways to slammed advanced mode with barely any pitch under full tilt. That windshield tho. Sound system is absolutely fantastic, actually the model y sound system sounds way better than my friends etron gt prestige. All the touch points are soft and well padded so idk. if you asked me, I think the refresh X is very much a luxury car and even in many way luxury cars cant really compete. Every day convenience of life features like phone app just hop in and go and all the software qol features tesla has perfected is a luxury thats not really tangible like massaging seats but it very much so is a luxury. I test drove a bmw IX and yes the fit and finish was a notch above and ride quality was great, but that infotainment system looked like a kindle mixed with palm os.

You are over generalizing for the sake of arguing. Lamborghini has sports cars which do not have massage seats because they are pushing the driving experience.

Right, just like Tesla is pushing the BEV technology forward. It's the same math with a different desired outcome. Thank you for making my point.

Tesla may not be a luxury brand as a whole, but the S and X are positioned to as luxury vehicles.

Why? Because of the price point? Again, over-simplification that yields incorrect conclusions. Tesla has FAR more wrapped up in R&D of a (previously) poorly optimized BEV system. This comes at a price which makes the cost of each car higher even before you get to material selections. This is why legacy manufactures didn't want to invest resources when they can use the same power plant they've used for decades with minor R&D tweaks that yielded incremental advancements at best. This is why the segment was where it was pre-Tesla.

If Tesla was a luxury brand the cars would all be 50% more pricewise across the board to maintain similar profit margins while upping the materials costs. That's why the Lucid Air is the closest thing to range and performance and it's nearly 2x the price tag.

Idk i think my model x plaid has some nice luxuries when I compare it to my A8L. Like i get annoyed now when I walk up to my A8 and my brain freezes for a couple seconds waiting for the door to open up for me, then I realize I have to open it myself. Also think the air suspension on the X feels great with a huge variance in feel. plush boaty feel on the highways to slammed advanced mode with barely any pitch under full tilt. That windshield tho. Sound system is absolutely fantastic, actually the model y sound system sounds way better than my friends etron gt prestige. All the touch points are soft and well padded so idk. if you asked me, I think the refresh X is very much a luxury car and even in many way luxury cars cant really compete. Every day convenience of life features like phone app just hop in and go and all the software qol features tesla has perfected is a luxury thats not really tangible like massaging seats but it very much so is a luxury. I test drove a bmw IX and yes the fit and finish was a notch above and ride quality was great, but that infotainment system looked like a kindle mixed with palm os.
I'm more talking about people who flatly try to compare a Tesla to any other vehicle of the same price tag that uses a 100-year-old power plant. Its like comparing a gold-plated abacus to a modern computer because they both have the same price tag. As myopic as this comparison is I see it all the time presented as if it's not comparing apples to aardvarks.

Right, just like Tesla is pushing the BEV technology forward. It's the same math with a different desired outcome. Thank you for making my point.

Why? Because of the price point? Again, over-simplification that yields incorrect conclusions. Tesla has FAR more wrapped up in R&D of a (previously) poorly optimized BEV system. This comes at a price which makes the cost of each car higher even before you get to material selections. This is why legacy manufactures didn't want to invest resources when they can use the same power plant they've used for decades with minor R&D tweaks that yielded incremental advancements at best. This is why the segment was where it was pre-Tesla.

If Tesla was a luxury brand the cars would all be 50% more pricewise across the board to maintain similar profit margins while upping the materials costs. That's why the Lucid Air is the closest thing to range and performance and it's nearly 2x the price tag.

Tesla literally says their high end vehicles are affordable luxury cars.

Tesla focus seems to be more on reducing the weight of their cars than adding a lot of luxury features. Part of this is their own design of seats. When we gave some talks at a Tesla facility, they had a lot of seat designs lined up and employees could try them out and leave their comments and suggestions.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC