TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

NO mechanical handle for rear doors. Seriously?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EvanLin, Sep 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EvanLin

EvanLin Member

#1 EvanLin, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    According to
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf
    There is no mechanical release handle for rear doors.

In an accident, anything could happen.
    What if front doors are blocked or unable to open due to impact, and people must leave the car immediately?
    What if people in front are unconscious?
    Few seconds makes a difference.

Control wipers from screen only to simplify the interior is poor but barely acceptable.
    NO mechanical handle for rear doors? It's life or death. Totally nonsense!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. android04

android04 Member

Wipers are controlled from left stalk at steering wheel. I agree on the rear doors, but there might be info we don't have yet. There might be a manual release behind the speaker covers like on the Model X.

• Like x 4
  3. timk225

timk225 Member

Page 9 - I am not impressed with the design of those lower A arms for the front wheels. Mighty spindly looking.

• Disagree x 3
  4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#4 stopcrazypp, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Technically the ERG is supposed to say it if it does have it. However, in this case (unlike the Model X) the rear doors can be opened from the outside when there is no power, so there is still a chance that is why it is left out of the guide. If however there really is no way (practically without other tools), I guess the only way is to have a glass breaker in the rear of the car.

One thing I noticed they changed is that the frunk now requires external 12V power to unlatch from outside (unlike in S/X). In the same vein it is now relatively easy to attach a battery tender (assuming those cables go to the battery).

5. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

Doesn't appear to be so. Up/down is blinkers, forward/back is headlights. Button on end of stalk is single wipe or hold for washers apparently. Which leaves wipers on/off & fast/slow to the touchscreen only as best we can tell.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. mongo

mongo Member

Since it instantly pops the frunk (when the 12V is dead), I don't think they are a battery connection.

• Like x 1
  7. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Perfect for taxi cabs or ride sharing. You don't pay, you can't exit.

I think I'm but a few who used to take cabs and sit in the front seat. :)

• Funny x 3
  8. Runt8

Runt8 Member

It would be more accurate to say that wipers are partially controlled through the left stalk. Mainly the “oh sh**, that semi splashed water all over the windshield and now I can’t see” functionality. I’m also confident that rain-sensing wipers will be included in a near future release, which makes setting the wiper interval through the screen something that doesn’t need to happen often.

• Like x 3
  9. jdbob

jdbob Member

• Informative x 1
  10. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

You have a strange definition of more accurate. My post was completely accurate, and precise, it listed the functions the stalk controls. And for that I get a disagree. smh.

• Like x 2
  11. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Your post, taken in context, was inconsistent. Single wipe and washers are wiper controls, which means the wipers are controlled by the stalk.

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

Tesla will address it after they settle the first couple of lawsuits when someone trapped in the back of the vehicle perishes because there was no manual release.

The only possible explanation I can see for omitting what should be a standard safety feature is to save a few dollars per car built.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  13. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Realizing that tons of other cars disable the rear door releases as a child protection feature, not sure how this is going to be a big deal.

• Like x 13
  14. powertoold

powertoold Member

Teslas are very resistant to rollover, so situations where you're trapped in the car are probably less likely than an ICE.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

FYI that the Model S rear handles are also not mechanical/won't mechanically release the door/operate without power.

16. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

so this is the latest outrage of the day? I'm still recovering from "No AM radio" so excuse me if I'm not as outraged as I should be.

• Funny x 22
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  17. swaltner

swaltner Member

Any event that could disable the electronic door release could also jam the door shut to where a mechanical release would also be ineffective. Be prepared for all events by being able to bust a window. https://www.amazon.com/IPOW-Antiskid-Seatbelt-Emergency-Life-Saving/dp/B00F7YMUWU/ will do nicely for getting out of any vehicle. They easily dispatch with the side windows on cars and can cut a seatbelt that refuses to release. I've got a rescue hammer like this and a few space blankets in each of my vehicles.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

since the glove compartment is opened by the touchscreen (and may not work in an accident) I hope there is a convenient place in the back seat to put one of those.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  19. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I guess this is the sad content we are reduced to when Tesla is busy anti-selling and we don't get enough information....

• Like x 2
  20. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yes, but the Model S does have a backup mechanical door release in the back and the Model 3 doesn't appear to. However, every car we've had for the last few years has had the the back inside door handles totally disabled because of "safety" locks, and now you guys seems to be saying it isn't safe. :)

• Like x 3