Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO mechanical handle for rear doors. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI that the Model S rear handles are also not mechanical/won't mechanically release the door/operate without power.
The Model S does have mechanical release cables however under the carpet below the rear seats. The Model 3 ERG does not mention this.

Model S's rear doors however, like Model X can't open from the outside if there is no power.

Oh, well that won't be a problem in a couple of years that road won't exist anymore.

The ice road between Oulu and the island Hailuoto used to be opening 4-5 months a year, but now due to climate change it is only open for 4-5 weeks.

I can see why they don't let you park on it for any reason,

Doesn't appear to be so. Up/down is blinkers, forward/back is headlights. Button on end of stalk is single wipe or hold for washers apparently. Which leaves wipers on/off & fast/slow to the touchscreen only as best we can tell.
Close look at Tesla Model 3 with new deliveries
There was a video (removed now) showing that wiper is controlled via screen.

If I remember correctly, there are two major functions on the screen: on/off and speed.

the Model 3 doesn't appear to

The Model S does have mechanical release cables however under the carpet below the rear seats. The Model 3 ERG does not mention this.

Understood. I am not saying this is the case, but the Model S manual release is on the floor, so it may be there is such a manual release on the Model ≡ that isn't in the emergency responders guide since it can't be reached from standing outside. We should reserve judgement until the actual owner's manual comes out.

Understood. I am not saying this is the case, but the Model S manual release is on the floor, so it may be there is such a manual release on the Model ≡ that isn't in the emergency responders guide since it can't be reached from standing outside. We should reserve judgement until the actual owner's manual comes out.

Both the Model S and Model X first responder guides talk about the rear seat manual release cables. In the section where both of those guides specify how to use the rear seat manual release cables the Model 3 guide says:
NOTE: Only the front doors are equipped with a mechanical release handle.

It seems pretty clear to me.

According to
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf
There is no mechanical release handle for rear doors.

In an accident, anything could happen.
What if front doors are blocked or unable to open due to impact, and people must leave the car immediately?
What if people in front are unconscious?
Few seconds makes a difference.

Control wipers from screen only to simplify the interior is poor but barely acceptable.
NO mechanical handle for rear doors? It's life or death. Totally nonsense!

What if your in the back of a 2 door coupe? You don't even have a door! Must be illegal.

Not really a big deal, what about in coupes when you have kids sitting in the back?

That's exactly what worries me. One of the saddest incidences I remember when I was on another forum, was when a member crashed their BMW e46 M3 down where you live. Rear passenger died because they couldn't get out. Burned to death. But a coupe doesn't have rear doors. The sedan does. It just seems like an asinine omission worthy of a safety recall to change. If you can't open it from the outside if power is off, it seems antithetical to the child safety lock.

Last edited:
According to
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf
There is no mechanical release handle for rear doors.

In an accident, anything could happen.
What if front doors are blocked or unable to open due to impact, and people must leave the car immediately?
What if people in front are unconscious?
Few seconds makes a difference.

Control wipers from screen only to simplify the interior is poor but barely acceptable.
NO mechanical handle for rear doors? It's life or death. Totally nonsense!

If you're new to Tesla, get ready to be inventive and think of workarounds until the software gets better.

The workarounds for this problem, even though it's fundamentally a hardware issue, are many:
  • do not drive your car from the back seat, so you can exit out the front, as usual
  • allow passengers in second class to come up front and use first class exits in an emergency
  • roll down windows using hidden crank and exit out the window
  • rear passengers are lucky they can fold down the seat and exit out the trunk, there's an emergency trunk release in there
  • press your eject button and leave out the roof, but check that you have the glass roof option first or it's going to hurt
  • if people in front are unconscious they shouldn't be driving the car, auto-pilot requires your attention at all times
  • turn off the wipers if they are being confused as a way to exit the car

Last edited: