Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO mechanical handle for rear doors. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure exactly why child locks got brought up. I don’t ever use the child locks as all my kids are teens/adults. I think for those that use the child locks, this is a fair point. For the rest of us this is not relevant.
It's a fun almost paradoxical debate. The doors won't open for your child's safety. But the doors should always be able to be opened for your child's safety. Uh oh....*brain explodes*

• Funny
Reactions: Dax279 and AlanSqB
Yes it's a joke. Do not push harder on the LCD.

But it would be cool if the tech in the model 3 was advanced so that LCD was pressure proportional sensitive.

It could let you do things like glide your finger around the screen with an aura glow around it showing what you're hitting (out of the corner of your eye)... and when you're on a sweet spot push a bit and get an audible "click" to actuate that control.

Audio feedback is lacking on LCD screens and would be welcome in a car, for less attention demanding use of controls.

Gee whiz, isn't that how knobs and buttons worked. Sometimes less is more!

Scannerman

• Love
Reactions: WhiskySTL
I would be shocked if NHTSA would allow a vehicle to be sold, without some reasonable means of opening the rear doors in an emergency.

Scannerman
Think of coupes and cars with suicide doors (which can't open without front doors open, examples: i3, RX8, pickups with "extended cab"). These are allowed, so why would this not be?

Last edited:
It's too basic a feature and so simple it doesn't compare with airbags. Not being able to get out leads to some very unpleasant ways of dying. Cars going into water isn't exactly uncommon.

Actual data: https://www.swov.nl/sites/default/f...de-factsheet/uk/fs_cars_in_water_archived.pdf

"A study by the National highway Traffic Safety Administration showed that in the United States the number of drownings in crashes involving motor vehicles is about 1% of all road deaths."

It's impossible to judge how common any occurrence is by reference to what is present in the top of our minds. "People are not natural statisticians"--not even statisticians are natural statisticians. How a Pioneer in the Science of Mistakes Ended Up Mistaken

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
This looks like the ticket. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F...lt+cutter&dpPl=1&dpID=41rpspYmbtL&ref=plSrch#

One for each side and they have a nice mounting clip. This satisfies my safety nerd side. Problem mostly solved.

I think this is the solution for everyone on this thread who is worried about this possibility (which BTW is *extremely* unlikely, even if it did happen to this or that person, even it if happens a few times over many millions of miles driven every year). Having, understanding and using this tool is the ONE THING that can save your life in the unlikely event an occupant can't exit a vehicle--due to door damage, water pressure, etc. Complaining about Tesla's design choices is not even a pale second place. But that's just me.

Thank you, Alan!

Reactions: AlanSqB and Runt8
AlanSqB said:
This looks like the ticket. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F...lt+cutter&dpPl=1&dpID=41rpspYmbtL&ref=plSrch#

One for each side and they have a nice mounting clip. This satisfies my safety nerd side. Problem mostly solved.

I think this is the solution for everyone on this thread who is worried about this possibility (which BTW is *extremely* unlikely, even if it did happen to this or that person, even it if happens a few times over many millions of miles driven every year). Having, understanding and using this tool is the ONE THING that can save your life in the unlikely event an occupant can't exit a vehicle--due to door damage, water pressure, etc. Complaining about Tesla's design choices is not even a pale second place. But that's just me.

It is difficult to understand why Limo which have only a small back door don't have those type of safety hammers...

Fatal Bay Area Limo Fire Ruled Accident; 911 Tapes Reveal Victims' Screams

Limo-Fire-0.jpg

I would be shocked if NHTSA would allow a vehicle to be sold, without some reasonable means of opening the rear doors in an emergency.

Scannerman
I would not assume that the electric door release is less safe than a mechanical release for the vast majority of crash situations. If electric power is rarely lost in accidents, perhaps the electric release is more reliable. Mechanical devices may be more susceptible to crash damage. Redundant methods (like with the front doors) are good, but cost more.

Is it possible that it's like the Model S, where just pulling on the handle harder engages a mechanical link? The Model S is electric when you gently pull it, but if you pull harder you can feel the mechanical link to the latch.

As far as I'm aware, all four doors MUST have a mechanical release from the inside, but may have a "child lock" to disengage that release if children are in the back seat.

Is it possible that it's like the Model S, where just pulling on the handle harder engages a mechanical link? The Model S is electric when you gently pull it, but if you pull harder you can feel the mechanical link to the latch.

As far as I'm aware, all four doors MUST have a mechanical release from the inside, but may have a "child lock" to disengage that release if children are in the back seat.

First, the Model S only does that for the front doors. For the back doors there is a separate release cable near the passengers feet. Second, the Model 3 doesn't use a handle, it used a button, so that trick isn't possible. There is a handle in the front seat only. The first responders manual clearly states there is no mechanical release for the back doors.

First, the Model S only does that for the front doors. For the back doors there is a separate release cable near the passengers feet. Second, the Model 3 doesn't use a handle, it used a button, so that trick isn't possible. There is a handle in the front seat only. The first responders manual clearly states there is no mechanical release for the back doors.

My Model S definitely does that for the back doors as well... 07/2014 P85. I'll run outside and check in a bit, just to make sure i'm not crazy.

I know the manual states there's not a mechanical release handle, but I wasn't aware the car used buttons to open the doors. I was interpreting that as "There isn't a separate handle specifically for emergencies," instead of "There's no handle at all."

My Model S definitely does that for the back doors as well... 07/2014 P85. I'll run outside and check in a bit, just to make sure i'm not crazy.

I know the manual states there's not a mechanical release handle, but I wasn't aware the car used buttons to open the doors. I was interpreting that as "There isn't a separate handle specifically for emergencies," instead of "There's no handle at all."

The Model 3 uses buttons, and in fact there is a separate handle specifically for emergencies in the front doors. I'm pretty sure you are mistaken about your Model S.

It's a fun almost paradoxical debate. The doors won't open for your child's safety. But the doors should always be able to be opened for your child's safety. Uh oh....*brain explodes*
Ha. It depends on the age and maturity of the kid, as far as which you want... Although, personally, I have never used child locks. And at this point, I fully trust my 7yo (girl, I should add) to not open the door when she shouldn't.

Any event that could disable the electronic door release could also jam the door shut to where a mechanical release would also be ineffective. Be prepared for all events by being able to bust a window. https://www.amazon.com/IPOW-Antiskid-Seatbelt-Emergency-Life-Saving/dp/B00F7YMUWU/ will do nicely for getting out of any vehicle. They easily dispatch with the side windows on cars and can cut a seatbelt that refuses to release. I've got a rescue hammer like this and a few space blankets in each of my vehicles.

Hopefully not in the frunk.....