Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO mechanical handle for rear doors. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf
There is no mechanical release handle for rear doors.

In an accident, anything could happen.
What if front doors are blocked or unable to open due to impact, and people must leave the car immediately?
What if people in front are unconscious?
Few seconds makes a difference.

Control wipers from screen only to simplify the interior is poor but barely acceptable.
NO mechanical handle for rear doors? It's life or death. Totally nonsense!

Last edited:
Wipers are controlled from left stalk at steering wheel. I agree on the rear doors, but there might be info we don't have yet. There might be a manual release behind the speaker covers like on the Model X.
Technically the ERG is supposed to say it if it does have it. However, in this case (unlike the Model X) the rear doors can be opened from the outside when there is no power, so there is still a chance that is why it is left out of the guide. If however there really is no way (practically without other tools), I guess the only way is to have a glass breaker in the rear of the car.

One thing I noticed they changed is that the frunk now requires external 12V power to unlatch from outside (unlike in S/X). In the same vein it is now relatively easy to attach a battery tender (assuming those cables go to the battery).

Last edited:
Technically the ERG is supposed to say it if it does have it. However, in this case (unlike the Model X) the rear doors can be opened from the outside when there is no power, so there is still a chance that is why it is left out of the guide. If however there really is no way (practically without other tools), I guess the only way is to have a glass breaker in the rear of the car.

One thing I noticed they changed is that the frunk now requires external 12V power to unlatch from outside (unlike in S/X). In the same vein it is now relatively easy to attach a battery tender (assuming those cables go to the battery).

Since it instantly pops the frunk (when the 12V is dead), I don't think they are a battery connection.

Reactions: Saghost
Doesn't appear to be so. Up/down is blinkers, forward/back is headlights. Button on end of stalk is single wipe or hold for washers apparently. Which leaves wipers on/off & fast/slow to the touchscreen only as best we can tell.
It would be more accurate to say that wipers are partially controlled through the left stalk. Mainly the “oh sh**, that semi splashed water all over the windshield and now I can’t see” functionality. I’m also confident that rain-sensing wipers will be included in a near future release, which makes setting the wiper interval through the screen something that doesn’t need to happen often.

It would be more accurate to say that wipers are partially controlled through the left stalk. Mainly the “oh sh**, that semi splashed water all over the windshield and now I can’t see” functionality. I’m also confident that rain-sensing wipers will be included in a near future release, which makes setting the wiper interval through the screen something that doesn’t need to happen often.

You have a strange definition of more accurate. My post was completely accurate, and precise, it listed the functions the stalk controls. And for that I get a disagree. smh.

Wipers are controlled from left stalk at steering wheel.
Doesn't appear to be so. Up/down is blinkers, forward/back is headlights. Button on end of stalk is single wipe or hold for washers apparently. Which leaves wipers on/off & fast/slow to the touchscreen only as best we can tell.
You have a strange definition of more accurate. My post was completely accurate, and precise, it listed the functions the stalk controls. And for that I get a disagree. smh.
Your post, taken in context, was inconsistent. Single wipe and washers are wiper controls, which means the wipers are controlled by the stalk.

Any event that could disable the electronic door release could also jam the door shut to where a mechanical release would also be ineffective. Be prepared for all events by being able to bust a window. https://www.amazon.com/IPOW-Antiskid-Seatbelt-Emergency-Life-Saving/dp/B00F7YMUWU/ will do nicely for getting out of any vehicle. They easily dispatch with the side windows on cars and can cut a seatbelt that refuses to release. I've got a rescue hammer like this and a few space blankets in each of my vehicles.

Any event that could disable the electronic door release could also jam the door shut to where a mechanical release would also be ineffective. Be prepared for all events by being able to bust a window. https://www.amazon.com/IPOW-Antiskid-Seatbelt-Emergency-Life-Saving/dp/B00F7YMUWU/ will do nicely for getting out of any vehicle. They easily dispatch with the side windows on cars and can cut a seatbelt that refuses to release. I've got a rescue hammer like this and a few space blankets in each of my vehicles.

since the glove compartment is opened by the touchscreen (and may not work in an accident) I hope there is a convenient place in the back seat to put one of those.

FYI that the Model S rear handles are also not mechanical/won't mechanically release the door/operate without power.

Yes, but the Model S does have a backup mechanical door release in the back and the Model 3 doesn't appear to. However, every car we've had for the last few years has had the the back inside door handles totally disabled because of "safety" locks, and now you guys seems to be saying it isn't safe. :)