Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No mention of Radar on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The site seems to have been updated to remove any mention of radar. It lists vision and sonar only. The old autopilot website hasn't been updated yet. I wonder if this means that new vehicles won't include the radar hardware.

When I go to the Model S order page and scroll down, it still mentions a front radar.

tSO03k6.png

Check model 3 page and scroll down to Autopilot!

Yes. I see it. But it is still on the Model S page. Maybe Tesla is only planning to remove radar from the Model 3? Perhaps the Model S, being more expensive, will still have a radar? Or maybe they just have not updated the Model S page yet.

We do know that Elon is committed to vision-only, as he claims it is good enough to not need radar anymore. So it is likely that Tesla will remove radar from production cars or already has started doing that.

If that's the case, then I am really excited to see what is coming. By not including the hardware, they have to be absolutely sure of themselves that Vision only will work.
Technically, we don't know if the radar is still on the car, so we don't know how committed they are. Until we see a real customer car without the radar unit, we can't be sure what path they have taken. All this change is telling us is that they aren't guaranteeing a radar to be there like they previously advertised.

Reactions: Microterf
Technically, we don't know if the radar is still on the car, so we don't know how committed they are. Until we see a real customer car without the radar unit, we can't be sure what path they have taken. All this change is telling us is that they aren't guaranteeing a radar to be there like they previously advertised.
+1, they also advertise the model 3 SR as having 6 speakers, heated front seats, no ambient lights, but sure enough the hardware for additional speakers, heated rear seats, and ambient lighting is there. Or at least was for a long time (not sure if they finally removed it)

Reactions: Microterf
But how about automatic emergency braking — in a fog?

No, you don't understand. They removed the following statement from the website that was there for the last 1677 days, which means it never existed and they don't owe it to anyone.

A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

Interesting update. As part of the removal of radar from the Tesla website, they also changed the list of standard safety features. The removed Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Forward Collision Warning (FCW). Wonder how related to not using radar this is, and what they will be doing for existing cars.

They also added the interesting language "The following standard safety features will continue to be active on all new cars" that sure makes it sound like the removal of radar also removes some other features.

Before:
Automatic Emergency Braking
Side Collision Warning
Front Collision Warning
Auto High Beams

After:
Side Collision Warning
Obstacle Aware Acceleration
Blind Spot Monitoring
Lane Departure Avoidance
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

Interesting update. As part of the removal of radar from the Tesla website, they also changed the list of standard safety features. The removed Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Forward Collision Warning (FCW). Wonder how related to not using radar this is, and what they will be doing for existing cars.

They also added the interesting language "The following standard safety features will continue to be active on all new cars" that sure makes it sound like the removal of radar also removes some other features.

Before:
Automatic Emergency Braking
Side Collision Warning
Front Collision Warning
Auto High Beams

After:
Side Collision Warning
Obstacle Aware Acceleration
Blind Spot Monitoring
Lane Departure Avoidance
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
I sure hope AEB is not removed. That would seem like a step backward in safety when everyone including entry level cars have AEB...

I sure hope AEB is not removed. That would seem like a step backward in safety when everyone including entry level cars have AEB...
And it's one of the things Euro NCAP uses as a primary measure of active safety features.

This is likely to cause a large media impact when they become aware. Remember when Consumer Reports dropped Tesla's scores when they removed AEB from some HW2.5 cars for a while without telling anyone?

This info is still listed on the Tesla website:

Active Safety Features​

Active safety features come standard on all Tesla vehicles made after September 2014 for elevated protection at all times. These features are made possible by our Autopilot hardware and software system and include:

• Automatic Emergency Braking: Detects cars or obstacles that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
  • Front Collision Warning: Warns of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars
  • Side Collision Warning: Warns of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car
  • Obstacle Aware Acceleration: Automatically reduces acceleration when an obstacle is detected in front of your car while driving at low speeds
  • Blind Spot Monitoring: Warns when a car or obstacle is detected when changing lanes
  • Lane Departure Avoidance: Applies corrective steering to keep your car in the intended lane
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance: Steers your car back into the driving lane when it detects that your car is departing its lane and there could be a collision

No, you don't understand. They removed the following statement from the website that was there for the last 1677 days, which means it never existed and they don't owe it to anyone.

I assumed you were being funny hence the laugh.

I do wonder how much a degradation we'll see with TACC during adverse weather conditions.

I've had great experiences with using TACC during rainy + foggy conditions at night where it was hard to see. So I'm curious to see how it will perform after the update to vision only.