Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Mention of the Boring Company Flame Thrower Yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For everyone freaking out about (not) Tesla building (not) weapons

Take this for $20

image_11749.jpg

and put it in this toy for $100

ae-fg-1503w.jpg

Connect it to this tank for $10 and you have a super scary "weapon"

TANK-6INCH-2T.jpg

I'm sure when making 20,000 of them (not) Tesla is getting some economies of scale deal in there so $130 is probably a lot more than (not) Tesla is actually spending on materials.

Have the hat but skipping the flamethrower. Now the freezegun sounds interesting. That's not from Spaceballs too is it?

So what do people typically do with these propane flaming devices? Only thing I can think of is roofing work...or large scale crème brûlée?

Actually they used a torch to bend PVC pipe for my charge port install in my garage just a couple days ago. They are used for many things but bending pipe/pvc is a major use. If you need a 45% angle it is easier to heat up the pipe for a minute and bend it then it is to cut/glue/etc... with connectors.

Disclaimer: I didn't buy one. (I figure enough of you knuckleheads have done so & I'll have a chance to play with one, without buying yet another thing. But I'd probably get the Mini Boring Machine if it really could handle post holes.)

But people! Relax already. There is a reason companies require employees to take time off. A little fun in your life is necessary for mental health. He had some fun & it probably made him more productive overall. Laughter is good for everyone.

What's next? Monitoring his dating life? Oh, wait. There's a thread on that I think...
Yes, Bonnie, you may use mine...

Reactions: bonnie
I thought it was a very fun idea that will enhance Elon’s brand and help SpaceX, Tesla AND the Boring Company with increased exposure and help with recruiting. As far as liability goes, well, Elon has past the point of maximum liability exposure so looong ago, it isn’t even funny. He has: cars that have killed people (fatal autopilot crash), lifetime warranties for untested products (solar roof), flirting with billion dollar settlements due to urban cave ins (Boring company), and more people dieing in a SpaceX explosion (Astronauts on crewed missions). So this toy “flamethrower” probably doesn’t even make it onto the radar...

Looks like so much fun. Have avoided pulling the trigger because I can't find a practical use in Southern California.

In a heads up match if I win the coin toss, I'm taking a steak knife as my weapon of choice over this "flame thrower".

This little "torch" with butt-stock and a trigger guard isn't clearing German pillboxes anytime soon.

This is the most irresponsible and stupid business decision I've ever seen!

I'm really disappointed in Tesla. Not only does it change my entire perspective of what Tesla stands for, Elon should be focusing his efforts on actually producing Model 3's on time instead of selling ridiculous weapons to consumers. I really thought this had to be a bad joke.

I've already called to cancel my deposit on my Model 3.

Craziness!!!!!!

Hope your next car isn't a BMW, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen (founded by the 3rd Reich), etc ,etc as I am sure I am missing many other examples of actual companies that made actual weapons that killed people.

Elon's glorified cigarette lighter is infinitely less of a "weapon" than a .22 Ruger you can buy at Big 5 Sporting goods.

This is the most irresponsible and stupid business decision I've ever seen!

I'm really disappointed in Tesla. Not only does it change my entire perspective of what Tesla stands for, Elon should be focusing his efforts on actually producing Model 3's on time instead of selling ridiculous weapons to consumers. I really thought this had to be a bad joke.

I've already called to cancel my deposit on my Model 3.

Craziness!!!!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Plug Life
Looks like so much fun. Have avoided pulling the trigger because I can't find a practical use in Southern California.

In a heads up match if I win the coin toss, I'm taking a steak knife as my weapon of choice over this "flame thrower".

Flamethrowers are legal to possess under federal law. They leave it up to the states and ironically the only states where a flamethrower is illegal is in California and Maryland.

I agree with Kevin, this is a terrible idea. Tesla, SpaceX, Boring Company... all great awe inspiring ideas of our time that we have not seen for many decades. The flamethrower is not progress and will eventually get somebody hurt. I am seriously thinking about selling my position in Tesla today. I wish he would remove it.

I agree with Kevin too, now that I learned that a person from a company having fun selling something that is available in home depot. I simply have to separate my self from Tesla in every way possible. In fact I will change my profile picture as well (it is TESLA).

p.s. with all seriousness you will regret not buying flamethrower when zombie apocalypses comes real!!!!

I wish Elon would take the resources he spent on the flame thrower and other distractions like this and add some trivial features to the Model S, like allowing seat heaters or window defrosters to be turned on via the app, media player, of other relatively trivial things that only take time but are not challenging techincally.

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
I wish Elon would take the resources he spent on the flame thrower and other distractions like this and add some trivial features to the Model S, like allowing seat heaters or window defrosters to be turned on via the app, media player, of other relatively trivial things that only take time but are not challenging techincally.
Different companies. Different resources. Different skill sets.

Reactions: MP3Mike and mongo
I am no expert in Marketing and Public Relations, but I do remember a line in a movie, "There is no such thing as bad publicity." If nothing else, both the hats and the flamethrower keep Tesla, Musk, and The Boring Company in the public eye.

I would never spend that much money on a blow torch, but a lot of people do just to say they have one. I already have one that I got years ago from Home Depot, probably less than $20. Over the Years I have used it many time for various uses, but adding a rifle type stock does not improve the usefulness.

People, it is not a Flame Thrower like you see in the WWII movies. It does not shoot out jellied gas that sticks to a surface as it burns, it is just a flame that comes out the muzzle, just like the flame out of the gas stove in your kitchen. Nothing to be alarmed about here.

Reactions: whitex
Elon is a shared resource, no? Or did I miss some news on how the Elon got himself cloned in China - Boring Elon, SpaceX Elon and Tesla Elon, Twitter Elon...
I'm pretty sure that he neither writes the software for your Model S nor does the design/sourcing/store page for the flamethrower.

Different companies. Different resources. Different skill sets.

Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
Elon is a shared resource, no? Or did I miss some news on how the Elon got himself cloned in China - Boring Elon, SpaceX Elon and Tesla Elon, Twitter Elon...
Yes, but how much time did this shared resource actually spend on bringing this product to market? A few tweets and a request to someone else at the Boring Company or a merchandising company to make it happen perhaps?

I'm pretty sure that he neither writes the software for your Model S nor does the design/sourcing/store page for the flamethrower. Different companies. Different resources. Different skill sets.
Yes, but how much time did this shared resource actually spend on bringing this product to market? A few tweets and a request to someone else at the Boring Company or a merchandising company to make it happen perhaps?
Isn't Boring Company funded by Elon too (money which could fund Tesla development) and IIRC it is not unprecedented for SpaceX and Tesla to borrow employees from each other (other than Elon of course), so there is additional "resource sharing potential".

That said, it does keep him in the public spot light and maybe he could use some promises on twitter that he can actually accomplish. "Yea, I missed the FSD thing but the hats came right on schedule and they actually work as a hat" ;)

Last edited:
Isn't Boring Company funded by Elon too (money which could fund Tesla development) and IIRC it is not unprecedented for SpaceX and Tesla to borrow employees from each other (other than Elon of course), so there is additional "resource sharing potential".

That said, it does keep him in the public spot light and maybe he could use some promises on twitter that he can actually accomplish. "Yea, I missed the FSD thing but the hats came right on schedule and they actually work as a hat" ;)
You can't just move software engineers around and add to a team without a negative impact.

"Adding human resources to a late software project makes it later." Fred Brooks / Mythical Man Month.