Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No mirror fold on first summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Odd bit I noticed once I got 2019.28.2. The wing mirrors no longer fold on the first summon attempt. They start folding, but then instantly reverse themselves and extend on the first time I attempt summon.
If I let go and try again, the 2nd time will have a successful fold to completion.

Anybody else notice this?

--Carlos V.

Actually, it's weirder than my first report. Even if the mirrors are already folded (like if the car is locked) the mirrors will unfold at first summon. They properly fold on the subsequent summons.

The seat thing going in and out of easy entry during summon has been around since summon was enabled on the TM3.

--Carlos V.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVerland
I had the mirror unfolding problem on the first summon also. Luckily I noticed it and stopped the summon before the mirrors reached the garage door opening. They work properly on the second summon. I sent an email to Tesla Support. No response yet.

My first REAL time needing Summon and it almost caused 2 BIG problems. Backed in fine (mirrors folded) using Summon. Was in the bowels of a 40 story building's parking deck.

Got back to my 3 and Summon said (paraphrase): Can't connect to Summon because can't determine your location. What the hell am I supposed to do now???? Figured it needed GPS so find may way out on foot and get on street and sure enough it connected. What a PIA.

So back to 3 and hit Forward and car starts moving out. It then unfolds the mirrors and just misses the pillar by just a few mm. So this is definitely a problem.

• How to use if you can't get GPS like in a parking deck?
  • Why fold the mirrors in to back in and then fold them out to pull forward?

IMG_1398.jpeg

Does 32.x correct this? Still having nightmares about looking up and seeing how close I came to ripping off my mirror. Wonder had it hit would Tesla cover it. Clearly it is caused by Tesla but would they assume liability?

Everyone on this build is probably experiencing the same thing. I didn't note the version but a about 3 builds back Summon was working extremely well for me, the best it has been since picking up the car. Then 2 builds ago it was super flaky and would take multiple attempts to get the car moving, and this mirror issue was introduced.

I'd like to learn more about how Tesla merges development channels into production. I've noticed for several months that the charge port behaves differently on practically each build. Initially the port would never open with a button press on the wand until the car was awake. Then a build back in 2018 fixed the issue, and since then it has been broken, then fixed, then broken with almost every other build. In this build the charge port works and summon is having issues. Possibly all of the channels will be flattened with v10?

Have the same issue on my Model S summoning with key fob. The mirrors fold out before starting summon. My wife didn't notice the change in behavior/bug and popped our mirror backwards and scratched it up pretty good yesterday. Very frustrating :(