Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Model II or Model I.... Thoughts? FYI: 12SEXY

Should Tesla Make a Model II and Model I?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoRey

Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner
Feb 15, 2016
Anaheim, CA
With the Master Plan 2.0 Elon has stated that there will not be cheaper models after the Model III. This means there is not going to be a Corolla competitor (Model II) or a Yaris competitor (Model I). While i think the Uber style for the Model III is genius. The car can generate income for you and essentially opens Pandora's box. I also think Tesla seems to have lost its way, and feel divided. Since they will not make a cheaper and cheaper car for the masses. Thoughts?

They will be making a cheaper car for the masses - it will be "rent an autonomous Model 3" car and not an Tesla EV econo-box.
Tesla doesn't make slow cars, remember?

Car ownership is expensive, people who buy cheap cars are on the budget and care a bit less about color and widgets in a car. They will happily share their super duper M3 with others for small money.

With the Master Plan 2.0 Elon has stated that there will not be cheaper models after the Model III. This means there is not going to be a Corolla competitor (Model II) or a Yaris competitor (Model I). While i think the Uber style for the Model III is genius. The car can generate income for you and essentially opens Pandora's box. I also think Tesla seems to have lost its way, and feel divided. Since they will not make a cheaper and cheaper car for the masses. Thoughts?

How do you think it opens a Pandora's box?

It is different from 2006 but way more hopeful about making a real change. It would have taken many decades to replace a serious fraction of the world's vehicles without this self driving, mobility app revolution. Tesla would have been constantly starved for capital and stunted in it's growth just trying to sell cars to owner/drivers.

As it is Tesla can focus on getting to Mobility App fleets that it owns and controls first and using the money to scale rapidly. One Mobility app car will replace several ICE cars on the road. Yes some mobility app cars will be hybrids or ICE but they'll cost more to operate in fleets and be out competed.

There will be shrinking demand for owning economy cars and a lot of legacy carmakers fighting over the shrinking market.

What i mean by pandaras box, is completely changing the concept of ownership of a car. Using a fleet of Tesla cars for your transportation needs and, thus never having to own a car in the first place. However, cars like the Nissan Altima and Toyota Corola are very popular options in the USA. This segment is very popular in other parts of the world and, at price point of 20000-25000 would be perfect. Besides, not all econoboxes are econoboxes. Most of the cars in this segment are good cars and are well optioned.

Car ownership is expensive, people who buy cheap cars are on the budget and care a bit less about color and widgets in a car. They will happily share their super duper M3 with others for small money.

A car's price is not the only criteria when considering getting a new car.
If you look at the MINIs you can see that a lot of small compact cars cost as much as some sedan mid-size cars.

EVs are the ideal cars for improving pollution in major cities.
Compact cars because of their footprint are the ideal car for city dwellers.

Therefore EV compact cars are potentially the optimum choice.

So far only few vehicles are available (Leaf, BMW i3, e-Golf...)
I look forward for any Tesla Model I or II type of EVs as there is really a need for it.

Note: The "Uber style ownership" or any other car sharing model
is a complete different subject and should be treated in a different thread.