Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more $35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why every media says Elon Musk promised to bring/sell $35K base model 3? I don't see/think he made any promise on model 3.

I would say that it was a bold statement at the 2016 unveiling saw by hundred of thousands of people, resulting to a 450 000 000 $ cash income of reservations fees. I think we can consider it a promise.

That's actually available now as long as it's a straight shot from your garage to your front door. ;)
Below is what was "reorged" away from Tesla website:
tesla-AP1-summon.png

All the fanboys about to chime in how Elon and Tesla always deliver, therefore it must still be coming soon, please hold your comments until it actually comes and works (this was AP1, today even AP2.5 summon doesn't even come close to this).

But, if we take liberties in interpretations allowing what was delivered for AP1 satisfy the above description, then the $35K Model 3 before government rebates is already available today, you just have to drive it for Uber or Lyft long enough to make enough (~$8K) in profit. :p

Last edited:
If I was that hard up for a Model 3 I would have just saved more, made a bigger down payment and enjoy my 3MR.

It’s within single digit striking range percentage wise for a 3SR with no tax credit vs an MR now.

This+++ if you wanted a Model 3 you've now had 3 years to save extra cash. If you couldn't save the money to make it a feasible purchase in 3 years then you either didn't really want it or have no business buying one.

If I was that hard up for a Model 3 I would have just saved more, made a bigger down payment and enjoy my 3MR.
Evidently that is not the case with a lot of people. According to Elon, the demand for Model 3 is off the charts, but the obstacle is affordability (from recent investor call IIRC).

PS> By Elon's logic, I bet most Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Ferrari and such cars have even greater demand than Model 3 (ask people whether the'd rather have a Bugatti Divo or Model 3, if they both costed the same).

Today's move is an interesting one. I think it hints that either the base model is imminent or they still have no clear idea and thus want to set those expectations as it is a much longer ways off. If it's imminent, my guess is that they've lowered costs a bit more and will maybe launch as a software locked MR with an optional 5k PUP. It would also make sense to keep production streamlined with the same battery pack. Margins might be either super low or at a loss short term, but if they have a clear path to good margins, they could count on really high demand right now while the EV tax credit is still viable for many. So with high volume scaled with further price reductions the losses will be negated and they will head towards continued profitability medium to long term.

Evidently that is not the case with a lot of people. According to Elon, the demand for Model 3 is off the charts, but the obstacle is affordability (from recent investor call IIRC).

PS> By Elon's logic, I bet most Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Ferrari and such cars have even greater demand than Model 3 (ask people whether the'd rather have a Bugatti Divo or Model 3, if they both costed the same).

Anyone who wants a Model 3, let me manage your finances and you'll get one.

Unless you work at a place that sells Avocado toast, Pumpkin Spice Lattes, Organic Free Range Foods, Alcohol served by a bartender, "experiences" (see Fyre Festival LMAO). Your employer will be out of business in the MXWing economy.

People do know intrinsically that no one can afford the insurance or upkeep on Rolls.. Bugatti and Ferraris. I still have to keep an economy car around because even parts of SoCal, a Model 3 is too ostentatiously rich. It's all relative to whom you deal with.

No reason to have a Tesla with less than 264 miles per charge.
The price of the existing rear wheel drive model 3 will continue to drop and eventually be 35k

Actually, I think this nails it. In 2019 you don't want to release an EV with less then 264 miles of charge.

Given that the mid range is already getting closer to 35k, I would expect the mid range RWD to become the 35k option.

Hence, no more standard range. Just Mid and Long.

Reactions: roguenode
They just don’t believe it or don’t want to think about things like gas savings and tax credits.
Or because such savings calculations are way to complex for an average person - apparently even for Tesla, as they give you only best case scenario assuming you live where electricity is cheapest and gas most expensive, and don't pay supercharge (since those costs can be comparable to gas). Tesla's savings calculations doesn't seem to include annual maintenance cost a Tesla vs. say a Toyota (which comes with 2 years too), long wait for parts during which you have to cover your own car rental if you have an accident, higher insurance rates (used to be lower, not anymore). They used to even include time spent refueling in their savings calculator, but don't seem to add the cost of time for people supercharging because of no charger at home.

Bottom line, you don't buy a Tesla today to save money, not even Model 3. You buy it because it drives great and you want it. It's a luxury, not frugal transportation.

PS> Some buy it because they believe Elon's promises that their car will drive their kids on its own soon and will make money driving to Tesla Ride Sharing Network to help them with their car payment - those people are just... well... you decide - let's say "hyper-optimistic".

Below is what was "reorged" away from Tesla website:
View attachment 378711
All the fanboys about to chime in how Elon and Tesla always deliver, therefore it must still be coming soon, please hold your comments until it actually comes and works (this was AP1, today even AP2.5 summon doesn't even come close to this).

But, if we take liberties in interpretations allowing what was delivered for AP1 satisfy the above description, then the $35K Model 3 before government rebates is already available today, you just have to drive it for Uber or Lyft long enough to make enough (~$8K) in profit. :p

Thanks for sharing that screenshot. It's funny how AP2.5 still can't park in my garage. Even just a simple summon where I lined up the car, it will still park in the middle of a 2 car garage :(

Tesla is doing what we call MVP in my industry. Minimal Viable Product. We promise the moon but only delivery the launch pad. As long as people vote with their money this will continue. I just needed a car that can auto pilot 98% of the time so the Tesla is doing okay on that end. Still waiting for a real auto lane change, NoAP, and FSD. If non of this happens after 5 years, I will go to Porchse and finally give up waiting.

Fool me once shame on me.

Lol it’s funny that the standard range has actually been out for months. I’m in the camp that bets the “mid range” becomes the standard and will eventually be $35k. Take away PUP and we are already down to $37,900. It will get to $35k eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFlurri
Has it gone the way of other Tesla promises? Step one, cleanse the website. Step 2, claim it's not being promised to anyone. Step 3, claim "boring!" to anyone bringing up such old topic.

https://electrek.co/2019/02/18/tesla-standard-model-3-battery-website-fans-panic/amp/

Do you not see how the prices have been dropping literally every month? its only a matter of time, stop speculating. They removed it so people that visit the site for the first time, don't sit around and wait for that base model. And honestly I wouldn't get the model 3 with any lower battery capacity, it would ruin the experience especially if you live in the cold.

Reactions: McFlurri