Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more $35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to look at it this way. Dual motor was always between 4K and 6K addon to the LR RWD. Including tax credits, price for a base LR RWD was 41,500 while price for a base dual motor LR is 46150. That's a $4650 difference or pretty much right in the range of the historical difference between RWD and AWD LR cars.

Yeah with the tax credit difference it’s still over $5k more.

If you're going to compensate for time and inflation, you should also include the federal rebate going away. A lot of people reserving counted on a $27,500 car.

If people thought they were getting a Tesla for $27,500 they are nuts. Musk shouldn’t have ever said “before incentives” but some states will still have $1,000 to $5,000 incentives even after the federal credit goes away so they will still have some who can get a sub $35k car if they want it.

Also, I don’t think most people really were going to order a black, non EAP version of the car with cloth interior.

If people thought they were getting a Tesla for $27,500 they are nuts. Musk shouldn’t have ever said “before incentives” but some states will still have $1,000 to $5,000 incentives even after the federal credit goes away so they will still have some who can get a sub $35k car if they want it.
Should have, could have, doesn't matter - the fact is he did. Maybe if he said $42.5K he wouldn't have gotten as many reservations.

Also, I don’t think most people really were going to order a black, non EAP version of the car with cloth interior.
The point is a starting price. Not only that, Elon also promised at the launch that even without any options the car will be very nicely equipped, meaning he wanted people to think $27.5 was a viable option. That said, black is the second most popular color for cars, and with EAP being an option you can buy later, and it not being out of Beta yet, plenty of people would be fine foregoing it at the deliver date to save money.

Hence my comment that MR is likely going up to $45+ when a $40K SR shows up. Similar thing happened to Model S in the past - once a lower cost car was available (Model 3) the base Model S prices went up.

Actually I would not be surprised if the mid range was discontinued shortly after the introduction of the short range. The battery pack on the mid range is relatively expensive since they have a full sized pack with just fewer cells. The short range is supposed to have a new pack size optimized to be less expensive.

My SPECULATION:

The first model will be short range with PuP costing 40k. $2900 less than the mid range, but Tesla probably saves enough with the new pack design.

When the next tax incentive cut happens LR versions drop $2k, but the SR version does not. Essentially AWD and the bigger pack costs $8k

The next iteration a bit later is SR without PuP, still costing more than $35000, but drops $1k or so a quarter until it hits the magic $35k.

Reactions: Dan_A and commasign
A malapropism/homonym, but seems oddly appropriate. Tesla promises one thing, then later says "adieu" to that earlier promise. Then rinse and repeat. :p
Spellcheck strikes again, cleaning up my fumbled "ado". :p Sure it's appropriate though, this claiming of there being a "goodbye, farewell" when there just isn't any rational basis for it.

But really the true joke here is your myth in your post here. Further up there was an allusion to the "$49,900" Model S. Well turns out that actually did ship, as promised. Not for long because it wasn't popular due to the feature set. But there it was sold in 2012, re-imaginig of history notwithstanding. All this creative misreading of the website too is just the same old rehash of nonsense that's been getting recycled for ages.

Last edited:
If the SR had no glass roof, cloth interior, manual adjusting seats, no seat warmer, no power folding mirrors, no fog lights, weaker speakers, less sound insulation, and of course a shorter range, would people pay 35k for it? Because it seems that target price can be met if those things were cut from the car. Perhaps even go cheap on wheels and tires...

https://i.redd.it/xzaxena1ekh21.jpg

Oh look it is back on the website. I'm 100% surprised by this /s
Way to post an old screen shot. Lol #fakenews
Screenshot_20190220-083036.png

You have to look at it this way. Dual motor was always between 4K and 6K addon to the LR RWD. Including tax credits, price for a base LR RWD was 41,500 while price for a base dual motor LR is 46150. That's a $4650 difference or pretty much right in the range of the historical difference between RWD and AWD LR cars.

That's really not true.

Mercedes & BMW both offer their AWD variants as a $2,000 premium. Same with Audi before they dropped FWD A4 from the US market.

Tesla is charging quite a premium for dual motor functionality vs. what traditional AWD costs from other luxe manufacturers. Arguably their system is superior but might actually be cheaper to implement so could cost the same.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
That's really not true.

Mercedes & BMW both offer their AWD variants as a $2,000 premium. Same with Audi before they dropped FWD A4 from the US market.

Tesla is charging quite a premium for dual motor functionality vs. what traditional AWD costs from other luxe manufacturers. Arguably their system is superior but might actually be cheaper to implement so could cost the same.

You are forgetting the fact that there's a significant performance increase going from RWD to AWD. On ICE cars AWD just means better traction.

Also companies set pricing on what the customer is willing to pay and not necessarily how much it costs them.

Reactions: SammichLover
You are forgetting the fact that there's a significant performance increase going from RWD to AWD. On ICE cars AWD just means better traction.

Also companies set pricing on what the customer is willing to pay and not necessarily how much it costs them.

Somewhat incorrect. 0-60 times on my 340xi were better than on the 340i even though it weighed 200 pounds more. If your argument is that dual motor on Tesla adds horsepower where-as on ICE cars AWD systems add traction that is technically true, but since performance of higher power ICE cars is usually traction limited the end result is the same for most practical driving situations.