Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more $35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the predictable, steady flow of disagrees my initial post in this thread is receiving, I’ll take that bet.

$100 to charity if Tesla delivers a single $35k (plus destination) car to a non-employee prior to Jan 1, 2020.

I accept. Bookmark or follow me. I'll give $100 to the charity of your choice if Tesla doesn't deliver a $35k Model 3 (without incentives and before destination and doc fees) to a non-employee before 1/1/2020.

I accept. Bookmark or follow me. I'll give $100 to the charity of your choice if Tesla doesn't deliver a $35k Model 3 (without incentives and before destination and doc fees) to a non-employee before 1/1/2020.
Careful how many of those you make, there was a member called calisnow once who chose to get themselves banned from TMC instead of paying out all the charity bets (they were over something else Elon said he'd deliver).

Careful how many of those you make, there was a member called calisnow once who chose to get themselves banned from TMC instead of paying out all the charity bets (they were over something else Elon said he'd deliver).

Wasn’t he betting something ridiculous that kept escalating to like $10k based on dates? That was hilarious.

I’m good for the c-note, rich enough for my blood. :)

If the original $100, and $1000 betters donate to the charities discussed, I will match. Or I've offered to split the amounts as well.

Children in need missing out on some money they can use because someone is a bitch doesn't sit well with me at all.

Edit: I've matched @TaoJones . Good of him to donate even though he won.

It's not welching against other TMC'ers.. but welching on against those in need.

Last edited:
I too believe the SR version comes out this year.... But, will it be $35k sticker before all the tax rebates and gas savings are applied?

It would have to be since that's what was promised.

So far we have seen:

AWD/P opened to orders right before end of Q2, with a huge delivery push for end of Q3.

MR orders opened in Q4 with a huge delivery push for end of Q4.

Q1 this year is about europe mostly.

Q2 might be rest of world as well depending how sales are looking and how many current-trim orders are out there... or, maybe, we will see the 40k car (SR with PUP) pushed for end of Q2 delivery in the US before the tax credit halves again.... in which case I'd expect the 35k one to be the Q4 push before it's gone entirely.

Here's my guess as to how this "$35k Model 3" deal all shakes out.

- Tesla continues to be nebulous about the timeline for the $35k Model 3. In fact, so nebulous, no one at Tesla will even say anything about a "$35k (before incentives) base Model 3" anymore. They will simply reference the "standard range" 3.
- the narrative of the "$35k (AFTER incentives) base Model 3" will continue to be pounded into people's heads, to slowly erode the memories of the $35k (before incentives) 3.
- Secretly, Tesla hopes more and more people that reserved on 31 March 2016 that planned to buy a base $35k, pre-incentive Model 3 all along request refunds or buy another Tesla product, reducing the numbers of people with reservations still waiting for the mythical $35k 3
- Tesla will use the expiration of the $3,750, then $1,875 credit to push people to buy whatever the lowest cost Model 3 being offered before tax incentives are completely gone (hopefully getting more 31 March '16 deposit holders to make the plunge).
- the Model Y will be unveiled, and deposit holders STILL holding out for the $35k Model 3 will be given the option of transferring the 3 deposit to get on the Y reservation list
- FINALLY, when the number of $35k Model 3 deposit holders is shrunken to a small enough number, Elon will announce that "due to a lack of demand", the $35k Model 3 will not be produced, but for those still holding deposits from 2016, they will be honored and a very limited number of $35k Model 3s will finally be produced.

Here's my guess as to how this "$35k Model 3" deal all shakes out.

- Tesla continues to be nebulous about the timeline for the $35k Model 3. In fact, so nebulous, no one at Tesla will even say anything about a "$35k (before incentives) base Model 3" anymore. They will simply reference the "standard range" 3.
- the narrative of the "$35k (AFTER incentives) base Model 3" will continue to be pounded into people's heads, to slowly erode the memories of the $35k (before incentives) 3.
- Secretly, Tesla hopes more and more people that reserved on 31 March 2016 that planned to buy a base $35k, pre-incentive Model 3 all along request refunds or buy another Tesla product, reducing the numbers of people with reservations still waiting for the mythical $35k 3
- Tesla will use the expiration of the $3,750, then $1,875 credit to push people to buy whatever the lowest cost Model 3 being offered before tax incentives are completely gone (hopefully getting more 31 March '16 deposit holders to make the plunge).
- the Model Y will be unveiled, and deposit holders STILL holding out for the $35k Model 3 will be given the option of transferring the 3 deposit to get on the Y reservation list
- FINALLY, when the number of $35k Model 3 deposit holders is shrunken to a small enough number, Elon will announce that "due to a lack of demand", the $35k Model 3 will not be produced, but for those still holding deposits from 2016, they will be honored and a very limited number of $35k Model 3s will finally be produced.

Plausible. I do think the $35k base model will be released eventually, but I agree with you that there will be some sleight of hand in the meantime. My guess..

$40k standard range 220 mile Model 3 WITH premium package will be introduced around midyear. We're only about $3k away from that so very likely this will happen. Then a few months later, a $37500 standard range 220 mile Model 3 with a convenience package (power textile seats, folding mirrors, driver profiles, center console), then at the very end of the year, the $35000 standard range 220 mile Model 3 with no upgrades. Margins on this base car will be slim (but will have annoying deletions such as no power seats) so Tesla hopes people will spring for the convenience or premium packages.

Thanks! American Cancer Society.

I will assume they actually deliver one before the end of December. :)

0ECACB91-D1FC-432F-9765-3663F6307FD9.jpeg