Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more 7 day return policy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm ... i am picking up my car tomorrow.
I will ask about this, and if it’s true I will have to make sure all defects are documented.
Definitely do that either way. When I picked mine up a little over a week ago they changed the policy to only giving you 24 hours and 100 miles to note defects for correction (though the 7 day return policy was still in place).

I had my appointment for my list yesterday and only got one "within spec", so I did OK by thoroughly documenting.

Probably goes without saying but find yourself a checklist on these forms and go through the car from top to bottom. I picked mine up on 9/30 and there were literally hundreds of people picking up their car that day. I watched as several people simply sign the forms did a quick once over and took off. Meanwhile I spent a good 1-2 hours going over every inch of the car; particularly the areas where others have pointed out issues from their past delivery experience. Well worth the time. Some of these items you don’t get a do over if you miss it.

Can you look at the car before signing?
You can, but they make it extremely hard. You’ll get many, many calls and at least a half dozen emails telling you that you need to make your payment before you pick it up. Then I got one final “we’re going to release your car to the next person” message before they finally let me come see it before paying. Then they were very clear that I was expected to pick the car up quickly and inspect it at home, and that the delivery center would be completely unstaffed with no one to help if there was an issue.

You’re able to look at the exterior and in through the windows before you officially accept the vehicle, but you cannot get in.

The above was several days after the end of quarter rush. I assume there’s some variation by delivery center as well, and some are less strict. Fremont is absolutely militant, though.

You can, but they make it extremely hard. You’ll get many, many calls and at least a half dozen emails telling you that you need to make your payment before you pick it up. Then I got one final “we’re going to release your car to the next person” message before they finally let me come see it before paying. Then they were very clear that I was expected to pick the car up quickly and inspect it at home, and that the delivery center would be completely unstaffed with no one to help if there was an issue.

You’re able to look at the exterior and in through the windows before you officially accept the vehicle, but you cannot get in.

The above was several days after the end of quarter rush. I assume there’s some variation by delivery center as well, and some are less strict. Fremont is absolutely militant, though.

They have always had the messages to pay and most people know to ignore them. I had no problem inspecting as long as I wanted on two Teslas before paying. Not a single issue on either vehicle.

They have always had the messages to pay and most people know to ignore them. I had no problem inspecting as long as I wanted on two Teslas before paying. Not a single issue on either vehicle.
I don't really think "always" is true. I paid easily with a check for my first car. I don't really know how they expect customers to "know to ignore them."

I went back and checked my logs: I received 8 phone calls asking to pay my balance before pickup (4 on 9/30 alone), and I have 4 cold emails plus 2 follow-up emails stating the same. I don't think customers are going to know to ignore literally dozens of contacts about paying ahead of time.

I'm not sure when you took delivery, but the policies I noted took effect October 1st, and I picked up on the 4th. I don't know what they're doing now that they've ended the 7 day return policy, though.

I don't really think "always" is true. I paid easily with a check for my first car. I don't really know how they expect customers to "know to ignore them."

I went back and checked my logs: I received 8 phone calls asking to pay my balance before pickup (4 on 9/30 alone), and I have 4 cold emails plus 2 follow-up emails stating the same. I don't think customers are going to know to ignore literally dozens of contacts about paying ahead of time.

I'm not sure when you took delivery, but the policies I noted took effect October 1st, and I picked up on the 4th. I don't know what they're doing now that they've ended the 7 day return policy, though.

Dont get me wrong. They definitely want you to pay up front. And yeah they probably don’t want you to know you can pay on the spot. I got tons of “heat” to pay up. But I just ignored it. There are some locations you MUST pay up front though. Because of dealership laws. And outside USA might vary too.

I wire transferred on the spot both times after inspection. I hate paper checks. Last time was 1 year ago.

Reactions: Reborn

I would’ve never picked up a car had I’ve been subjected to the above. In Carlsbad, I just told them to leave me alone with the car for an hour or so and they did just that. I was able to get in make notes, take pictures. Everything I needed to do to feel comfortable. Then when I finished I got A representative to go over the issues with and have them note the account. Having said that, when I got the car home my detail oriented wife still found a few more items and they happily took care of them. I guess a lot of your experience depends on where you pick up your car which is unfortunate since the experience should be consistent throughout the company.

Edit: sounds like tesla has made some changes just since 9/30/20. It’s really unfortunate. I never took advantage of the seven day policy but there was comfort in knowing that it was there. Also, are you telling me that if you don’t report an issue within 24 hours of delivery, they will no longer take care of it? That is really hard to believe.

Last edited:
Yes, you have 24 hours to report any issues you found with the car, and to schedule an appointment with Service to go over them. They did give me all the time I needed to look everything over (exterior and interior).
And I accepted the delivery and paid for it (with personal check) since there were only maybe some minor adjustments (which I will use the app to request service).

Thanks for reporting.

There goes my plans to try a Y and if the ride is too rough trade up for an X.

With respect, that's what test drives are for. And I suspect that strategy on the part of customers is part of the reason for cancelling the policy. Consider the problem that presents to Tesla. Once you have taken delivery and put miles on the car it becomes a disposal problem for the company. As volume grows, even more of a problem.

With respect, that's what test drives are for. And I suspect that strategy on the part of customers is part of the reason for cancelling the policy. Consider the problem that presents to Tesla. Once you have taken delivery and put miles on the car it becomes a disposal problem for the company. As volume grows, even more of a problem.
Agreed! Consumers like this that simply abuse the system is one of the reasons everyone gets short changed. All products have a warranty reserve value. With buyers like this wanting to simply “try” a custom ordered car we all pay in lack of support, cost, and availability. Take a test drive (that’s a thing you know) if you don’t like it move on!

Reactions: MTOman
Exactly, even if it is only 1 in 100 try it for a test drive and return it, that's a significant chunk of change. They would be better off doing more test drives, road show test drive events, and even overnight test drives.

Reactions: jpfive
If Tesla actually did careful car prep, the customers would not have to bring checklists. Most are overwhelmed with the excitement and don't know how to inspect paint or fit/finish like any car prep person would. Dealers are sleazy in a different way, but Tesla with this change may make their lives easier while pissing off many more customers.

After several bad delivery experiences, I would not buy a Tesla again. My wife wants a Model Y so dealing with this circus is not something I am looking forward to. They wanted to do a home delivery, but I put in the address of my remote cabin and got a delivery center instead. I plan to spend an hour or two going through things and just walk after some threshold number of big issues that might be "within spec." I will bring my checkbook to pay for the car if it passes.