Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more 7 day return policy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla actually did careful car prep, the customers would not have to bring checklists. Most are overwhelmed with the excitement and don't know how to inspect paint or fit/finish like any car prep person would. Dealers are sleazy in a different way, but Tesla with this change may make their lives easier while pissing off many more customers.

After several bad delivery experiences, I would not buy a Tesla again. My wife wants a Model Y so dealing with this circus is not something I am looking forward to. They wanted to do a home delivery, but I put in the address of my remote cabin and got a delivery center instead. I plan to spend an hour or two going through things and just walk after some threshold number of big issues that might be "within spec." I will bring my checkbook to pay for the car if it passes.

One to two hours checking the car??? That's a bit much, but hey what ever floats your boat!

Reactions: Reborn and Yelobird
One to two hours checking the car??? That's a bit much, but hey what ever floats your boat!

Dealer prep staff spend that much time at least on each car. Since Tesla wants to push that to the buyer with less recourse, that is my plan. If this thread teaches anything about Tesla's bottom of the barrel fit/finish (according to JD Power), it is that the QC is pushed to the customer as they could care less and will not stand behind their product.

Reactions: hill and Brown1428
I agree that the dealer should spend that amount of time, but not the consumer. But now that the return policy is gone, I do wish they would also let you do a test drive of the vehicle before I drive off with it. I've test driven every vehicle that I've purchased before, and I mean the exact model I am buying not just a test drive vehicle to be clear. I've actually rejected one because it wasn't right on a legacy dealer. They found me another and I was happy.

If Tesla actually did careful car prep, the customers would not have to bring checklists. Most are overwhelmed with the excitement and don't know how to inspect paint or fit/finish like any car prep person would. Dealers are sleazy in a different way, but Tesla with this change may make their lives easier while pissing off many more customers.

After several bad delivery experiences, I would not buy a Tesla again. My wife wants a Model Y so dealing with this circus is not something I am looking forward to. They wanted to do a home delivery, but I put in the address of my remote cabin and got a delivery center instead. I plan to spend an hour or two going through things and just walk after some threshold number of big issues that might be "within spec." I will bring my checkbook to pay for the car if it passes.

I highly recommend that you keep your delivery appointment in the morning and plan to spend the whole day there. That way you can have them fix issues immediately(and still take delivery the same day) rather than creating a service appointment that would take weeks and their main tool at that point will be a ruler(or a caliper) which they use to measure to find out if things are "within spec" rather than fixing them.

For me, I created a ticket in the 'Other' category within the 72hrs and it was automatically assigned Mobile Service. Nothing happened for a couple of days and then someone reviewed it and made it a service center appointment 1 week out. I took the car expecting them to fix the issues so I had my wife come along for my ride back since they don't guarantee loaners. It turned out that that particular visit was only for an inspection to confirm the issues I raised but I was not told that in any way. If it was just an inspection, it could have been done a lot earlier. During the 10minute inspection, he took photos of the issues and said will order parts and will schedule an appointment to come and fix. The appointment was given for a date after two weeks with no promise of a loaner. Took the car last week and they wanted to keep it for a day to fix those issues(the ones not within spec) and issued uber credits. Note that there is no way to talk to the service advisor unless you go to the service center. They are taking contactless very seriously ;).

So even if your car has some panel gaps that are not matching with the other side, they won't fix it if it is within spec. You cannot also cite another Model Y without that issue either as they go by these unpublished specs only. After inspecting the car more closely(easy as this one is parked in the garage) I have found a lot of mismatches and gaps which I don't think will be fixed in any Model Y(even the one they would give to Elon :)) as 1. these parts/components are not designed to fit that well together 2. it is not their priority and they don't care

My 0.02

Reactions: Johnstac
I highly recommend that you keep your delivery appointment in the morning and plan to spend the whole day there. That way you can have them fix issues immediately(and still take delivery the same day) rather than creating a service appointment that would take weeks and their main tool at that point will be a ruler(or a caliper) which they use to measure to find out if things are "within spec" rather than fixing them.

For me, I created a ticket in the 'Other' category within the 72hrs and it was automatically assigned Mobile Service. Nothing happened for a couple of days and then someone reviewed it and made it a service center appointment 1 week out. I took the car expecting them to fix the issues so I had my wife come along for my ride back since they don't guarantee loaners. It turned out that that particular visit was only for an inspection to confirm the issues I raised but I was not told that in any way. If it was just an inspection, it could have been done a lot earlier. During the 10minute inspection, he took photos of the issues and said will order parts and will schedule an appointment to come and fix. The appointment was given for a date after two weeks with no promise of a loaner. Took the car last week and they wanted to keep it for a day to fix those issues(the ones not within spec) and issued uber credits. Note that there is no way to talk to the service advisor unless you go to the service center. They are taking contactless very seriously ;).

So even if your car has some panel gaps that are not matching with the other side, they won't fix it if it is within spec. You cannot also cite another Model Y without that issue either as they go by these unpublished specs only. After inspecting the car more closely(easy as this one is parked in the garage) I have found a lot of mismatches and gaps which I don't think will be fixed in any Model Y(even the one they would give to Elon :)) as 1. these parts/components are not designed to fit that well together 2. it is not their priority and they don't care

My 0.02

Good points. I will do an early appointment. If there are too many issues, in spec or not, I am going to walk and wait for another. Even if it takes several attempts to get something of industry standard quality, that would be easier than fighting to get it fixed over the next several weeks/months. More hours involved in getting things fixed than turning down a few bruised apples.

Reactions: Brown1428
With respect, that's what test drives are for. And I suspect that strategy on the part of customers is part of the reason for cancelling the policy. Consider the problem that presents to Tesla. Once you have taken delivery and put miles on the car it becomes a disposal problem for the company. As volume grows, even more of a problem.

It was something that made Tesla special and different from the other automakers. It reduced the risk of making a bad $60k decision. I have a bad back and it took me a month to realize Acura RDX seats didn't work for me. I took a bath on that.

If Tesla can sell cars with crooked panels, they can sell a car with a week's worth of miles on it for near original price.

and here is the reason why the 7 days return policy is gone.....

There might be people taking advantage of the policy, but I hardly think exchanging a $60k car for an $80k is part of Tesla's problem. Thanks for the warm welcome.

No more return allowed after accepting delivery.
I just picked up my car today, and my SA said return would no longer accepted. The 24 hours is for reporting any issues to be fixed!
This must have just happened as my wife was waffling on the 3 I ordered. We went to the showroom and actually drove mine as a test drive before she waffled even more causing a 2 week run around on possibly getting her a new RX450h, which ended in "I just don't think we need a new car right now".

I was told several times (up until I let the car go 2 Mondays ago) "You have 7 days" and "we could schedule an over night to give you ample time".

Oh yeah, and when I ordered mine it was supposed to be home delivery. 16 miles from the showroom. No one once tried to get it to my house. Even after I had brought up a couple times via txt that it's supposed to be home delivery, and I was fully going to take the 7 days to look the car over. Might well have been the reason they just started ignoring that.

Dealer prep staff spend that much time at least on each car. Since Tesla wants to push that to the buyer with less recourse, that is my plan. If this thread teaches anything about Tesla's bottom of the barrel fit/finish (according to JD Power), it is that the QC is pushed to the customer as they could care less and will not stand behind their product.
That's crowdsourcing for you.

Reactions: Reeler
I leased my car as I just don’t trust Tesla quality. In 3 years there will be more options and unless QC improves it will be my last.
My delivery experience was crap. Staff very nice. FindIng a windshield issue with a 2 foot opaque line over the drivers line of sight with 0 guarantee it would be fixed was unbelievable. I had to return 2 days later to let them try to buff it out then off to service for possible replacement.
I told them I’m not driving 3 years with with an opaque line in my drivers view. I had to threaten Returning the car.
It got to service and they replaced the windshield. Car should have never been delivered to anyone

I got texts and messages about making payment for my MY in the two weeks before delivery but I called my contact and told him I would bring a check and hand it over pending my inspection . . . no real pushback. Showed up at appointed time, had a multi-page checklist, took about an hour to go through it, very minor issues documented, handed over check, drove off, living happily ever after. The end

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and alexcue
I personally think this is absurd.
Considering how bad is their QC, now if you missed a paint chip/defect and walk away with the delivery and then realize there is a paint chip later on this is on you?
Yes I admit there are people who will abuse the 7 days return policy but I think that's only minor compared to people who actually have real problem/issue with the car.

I personally taken delivery and only realize two paint chips after the 7 days period and I have to live with that because I was under a false impression Tesla will fix it later for me.

I loved my model y and tesla but at the same time I hate some of their customer service + policy + QC on cars.
Not trying to start a war between tesla hater vs fans but simply saying my thought.

Reactions: ShareTechMark

I had a horrible delivery experience with my Toyota Sienna a few years ago. I have since taken delivery of a Model 3 in February and a Model Y in July. Both were phenomenal. I really do wish many would stop perseverating on minimal issues that are present on all cars (panel gaps? Thanks Sandi Munro). Big issues should be QC’d yes, but let’s keep in mind we are still in the early adopter phase. Let’s do everything we can do to make this company a success. Issues at delivery are not just a Tesla issue.

I got texts and messages about making payment for my MY in the two weeks before delivery but I called my contact and told him I would bring a check and hand it over pending my inspection . . . no real pushback. Showed up at appointed time, had a multi-page checklist, took about an hour to go through it, very minor issues documented, handed over check, drove off, living happily ever after. The end

Same experience except that I didn’t get text messages. I actually didn’t find any issues. This forum got me so scared even though I previously owned a 3. Still loving the car a month later

I picked up my 2020 Model S on 9/28/20. There was a single text asking for pre-payment which I ignored. When I arrived I was told I could not get my $500 rebate unless I signed a waiver agreeing to give up my 7 day return privilege. This was sprung on me after numerous contacts with my associate in the past month. I signed reluctantly. I was allowed to inspect the car and found no issues. Then I was told that I would have to order a $35 adapter for my new charging cable to be able to use my home 220v charger (?). Again I wasn’t told about this during multiple conversations with my agent. Or I could use the new charger with a 110v line which charges at 4 miles an hour (100 hours to reach my 405 mile capacity!) Or I could keep my present 3 year old cable and not get the new one sure. Not pleased.