TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No More Aero Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Dreamin, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

No longer available in design studio. Apparently discontinued due to lack of customer interest.

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Hmm... I hope they make whatever inventory they did have available to current owners; I'm interested in buying a set.

3. evme

evme Member

That is kind of sad, but not surprising. They need to reintroduce them for like 500$ extra, then you will see much more demand. I am sure the wheels don't cost that much of a premium over the default wheels. Now there might be more discounts on the default wheels due to bulk orders. But even still at 500$ premium I am sure they would still make a profit on the aero wheels.

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

IMO Tesla made the right thing to remove the Aero Wheels from the design studio. The Model S has to be first of all a sport luxury good looking car and any other options to increase the range shouldn't be considered. The principle has to be, like Elon stated, that the Model S has to be the best car in the world even better than ICE cars.
    Have you ever seen Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari and so on with Aero Wheels? So Tesla made the right choice IMO.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I was looking forward to getting a set even at the ridiculous price. I would rather have more of a solid disk style of wheel rather than one that tries to pretend to be a spoked wheel. Another solution would be to make the spokes of the wheel aerodynamic--there would have to be right and lest wheels for this to work.

6. JST

JST Active Member

They weren't any more ridiculous looking than the turbine covers that shipped with early E34 M5s. As someone else said, they lent the MS a certain Gallic/Citroenesq feel.

But the market speaks. I have to wonder how many sets they actually sold.

7. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Sorry, Tesla; if I were ordering, I probably would've gotten them . . . but I already have my car and can't spend more on it now. ;-)

8. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

What?!? No more Big Wheel wheels? What gives?

9. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I'm with jerry33 in that I was looking forward to purchasing a set for my current Model S. Since I ordered my Signature series car fairly early, my original order included the aero wheels, but a few weeks later I was forced to make a different choice and downgraded to the standard 19s instead of the 21s that Signature cars were all entitled to. I think it is unlikely we will see an aftermarket aero wheel so this was my only hope.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Hopefully they come back with a cheaper and better looking option for the aero wheels. They likely dropped them because of they way they looked.

11. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

No question. I'm all about the mileage game, but those things were never getting anywhere near my car.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So this is the second time they've discontinued Aero wheels?

My take - a small increase/decrease in range doesn't really matter much to Model S owners. It certainly wouldn't matter in a daily driving situation, and it wouldn't really make a difference on a road trip either. If you find yourself coming up 20 miles short on a long trip you'll either slow down a bit or stop to charge at an earlier location.

13. studiojon

studiojon Member

Am I crazy or did they also used to have a gray version of the 19" turbine wheels as well - which are also not there anymore (or am i mad)

14. Dart

Dart Member

My teenage son was begging me to order the Aero wheels when I finally pull the trigger. Thankfully, now I don't have to be the bad guy!

15. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I liked the aero wheels, just not the 4 figure price.

For that matter if I could buy wheels that had that design in 16" rims at a reasonable price I'd buy them for a Prius or Leaf as well.

16. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Exactly, frankly I'm really surprised and disappointed that Elon thought those wheels would be in any way appropriate for the Model S. A nice looking set of aero wheels would definitely sell well, and would not be that difficult to design, but what they offered simply looked like crap.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wow harsh. I guess I'm the only one that didn't find them hideous? I mean, I didn't want a pair, but sheesh.

18. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Too expensive and I've always why they were priced so high to begin with. Wasn't too crazy about the looks either.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Has anyone actually seen a Model S with the aero wheels?

I see Model S daily around here, and have yet to see any with those wheels.

20. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Just a picture in the forum