Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No More Aero Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is kind of sad, but not surprising. They need to reintroduce them for like 500$ extra, then you will see much more demand. I am sure the wheels don't cost that much of a premium over the default wheels. Now there might be more discounts on the default wheels due to bulk orders. But even still at 500$ premium I am sure they would still make a profit on the aero wheels.

IMO Tesla made the right thing to remove the Aero Wheels from the design studio. The Model S has to be first of all a sport luxury good looking car and any other options to increase the range shouldn't be considered. The principle has to be, like Elon stated, that the Model S has to be the best car in the world even better than ICE cars.
Have you ever seen Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari and so on with Aero Wheels? So Tesla made the right choice IMO.

I was looking forward to getting a set even at the ridiculous price. I would rather have more of a solid disk style of wheel rather than one that tries to pretend to be a spoked wheel. Another solution would be to make the spokes of the wheel aerodynamic--there would have to be right and lest wheels for this to work.

IMO Tesla made the right thing to remove the Aero Wheels from the design studio. The Model S has to be first of all a sport luxury good looking car and any other options to increase the range shouldn't be considered. The principle has to be, like Elon stated, that the Model S has to be the best car in the world even better than ICE cars.
Have you ever seen Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari and so on with Aero Wheels? So Tesla made the right choice IMO.

They weren't any more ridiculous looking than the turbine covers that shipped with early E34 M5s. As someone else said, they lent the MS a certain Gallic/Citroenesq feel.

But the market speaks. I have to wonder how many sets they actually sold.

I'm with jerry33 in that I was looking forward to purchasing a set for my current Model S. Since I ordered my Signature series car fairly early, my original order included the aero wheels, but a few weeks later I was forced to make a different choice and downgraded to the standard 19s instead of the 21s that Signature cars were all entitled to. I think it is unlikely we will see an aftermarket aero wheel so this was my only hope.

So this is the second time they've discontinued Aero wheels?

My take - a small increase/decrease in range doesn't really matter much to Model S owners. It certainly wouldn't matter in a daily driving situation, and it wouldn't really make a difference on a road trip either. If you find yourself coming up 20 miles short on a long trip you'll either slow down a bit or stop to charge at an earlier location.

No question. I'm all about the mileage game, but those things were never getting anywhere near my car.
Exactly, frankly I'm really surprised and disappointed that Elon thought those wheels would be in any way appropriate for the Model S. A nice looking set of aero wheels would definitely sell well, and would not be that difficult to design, but what they offered simply looked like crap.

Has anyone actually seen a Model S with the aero wheels?

I see Model S daily around here, and have yet to see any with those wheels.

Just a picture in the forum

Saw a Red S with Aero's being delivered to the Minneapolis SC today. The wheels are light and reflective enough that I think they will go well with most of the Model S colours.

While I still think they don't make economic sense, I will say that, aesthetically, they are more interesting than the standard 19". But the 19" cyclones are my favourite.

View attachment 30991