TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

No more Alcantara upper dashboard

Discussion in 'Model S' started by whitex, Jun 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. whitex

whitex Active Member

I just noticed that the alcantara upper dashboard accents are gone from all Model S in design Studio. It used to be part of PD line, then became part of the PUP somewhere along the line, and today it's not available at all. Did it go away when power liftgate became standard and PUP changed, or more recently?

2. shelbri

shelbri Member

My Model S arrives on the 27th. Would be thrilled if it doesn't have the alcatara dashboard. My 2014 Model S did not and I much preferred the rubber-ish material.

• Like x 2
  3. whitex

whitex Active Member

If you ordered new and have PUP, the old PUP that included power liftgate had it listed explicitly. Not sure when it disappeared, but it was this year. If you got a CPO, you'll have to wait and see unless you got pictures. My 1st model S did not have the alcantara. When I got the second one, I didn't care for it as much thinking it will get worn faster, but I've had it for 2 years now and it still looks great (same as headliner), so changed my mind on that one - and it actually reduces some sun glare off the dash and actually looks less aged than the leather. Our most recent MS also came with alcantara, but that was primarily because it was bundles with the power liftgate (PUP), but nice to have.

• Like x 2
  4. Electric1

Electric1 Member

Never did understand the big deal about the Alcatraz.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. whitex

whitex Active Member

It was a very famous prison. :p

• Funny x 7
  6. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I've not been to the website in a long time. As you noted, alacatraz ;) is missing, but also noticed a home charging installation option. Is that new?

7. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

At this rate, my 2012 MS interior is starting to feel new again. Is the center console next to go? I wonder when the nosecone will reappear?

• Funny x 12
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

A little off topic but I just had a loaner with the black Alcantara head liner. My 2013 has the light standard headliner ,that was only available in 2013, and I found the dark Alcantara liner gave the view out the front almost tunnel like. I always thought if I upgraded the headliner would have to be black but would go light again even with black interior.

Getting my car back almost felt refreshing.

• Like x 2
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't know when that change occurred (no more Alcantara on the dash with the PUP option) but I'm surprised, as it is still part of the PUP on the X.

The X PUP costs $1,000 more but it includes power front doors. I hope the Alcantara dash piece included with the X PUP doesn't disappear next.

10. Nosken

Nosken Member

I had it in my 2015 P85D, I don't have it in my late 2016 HW2 S90D I actually thought it looked so weird and "patched" when it was the Alcantara dash. I don't miss it .

11. derekmw

derekmw Member

I both love my alcantara dash and alcanara headliner. I have always hated black interior cars with light headliners. I just love having all black interior now (although that's a bit separate topic)

• Like x 5
  12. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Having had both, I prefer the alcantara because it doesn't reflect sunlight on to the windscreen as much as the original dash did.

Wonder if this is a sign of the rumoured interior update...

• Like x 2
  13. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

That WAS the new rumored update :) :)

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
  14. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

I did not get the premium package because of the Alcantara on the upper dashboard. Not a fan.

15. ElectricTundra

Very happy with my Alcantara dash & head. I'll be sad if I can't get it on my next Tesla (no reason or plans to trade-in anytime soon).

16. Pdxdesign

Pdxdesign Member

metal roof option is gone too.

I ordered sunroof with black interior, light headliner on my pearl white S 100D arriving in 2 weeks.
    Pretty sweet upgrade from my white 98 Camry. :p

• Like x 2
  17. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

easier to clean the dust from dashboard :)

18. Nosken

Nosken Member

I agree on reflection mostly, but the "Patchwork Quilt" look bothered me. It is also ironic, that the main nose of the dash, over the binnacle, is not Alcantara, making it a reflection magnet right in front of your view (like a HUD :).

• Like x 1
  19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll ever put an upper dashboard fan in the premium package.

• Funny x 3
  20. David29

David29 Active Member

You mentioned that the dash had "leather" before it had Alcantara. Was it actually leather or was it vinyl? And did it matter whether or not you ordered whatever was the upgraded interior? I have the PUP and Alcantara on the dash, but as someone else said, it only covers part of the dash, and I can't really tell whether the rest is leather (seems unlikely) or is some sort of vinyl product. In fact I am not convinced my car has leather on the door. It does not seem to feel like leather to me. Curious.