Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Alcantara upper dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
I just noticed that the alcantara upper dashboard accents are gone from all Model S in design Studio. It used to be part of PD line, then became part of the PUP somewhere along the line, and today it's not available at all. Did it go away when power liftgate became standard and PUP changed, or more recently?

My Model S arrives on the 27th. Would be thrilled if it doesn't have the alcatara dashboard. My 2014 Model S did not and I much preferred the rubber-ish material.
If you ordered new and have PUP, the old PUP that included power liftgate had it listed explicitly. Not sure when it disappeared, but it was this year. If you got a CPO, you'll have to wait and see unless you got pictures. My 1st model S did not have the alcantara. When I got the second one, I didn't care for it as much thinking it will get worn faster, but I've had it for 2 years now and it still looks great (same as headliner), so changed my mind on that one - and it actually reduces some sun glare off the dash and actually looks less aged than the leather. Our most recent MS also came with alcantara, but that was primarily because it was bundles with the power liftgate (PUP), but nice to have.

A little off topic but I just had a loaner with the black Alcantara head liner. My 2013 has the light standard headliner ,that was only available in 2013, and I found the dark Alcantara liner gave the view out the front almost tunnel like. I always thought if I upgraded the headliner would have to be black but would go light again even with black interior.

Getting my car back almost felt refreshing.

I just noticed that the alcantara upper dashboard accents are gone from all Model S in design Studio. It used to be part of PD line, then became part of the PUP somewhere along the line, and today it's not available at all. Did it go away when power liftgate became standard and PUP changed, or more recently?
I don't know when that change occurred (no more Alcantara on the dash with the PUP option) but I'm surprised, as it is still part of the PUP on the X.

The X PUP costs $1,000 more but it includes power front doors. I hope the Alcantara dash piece included with the X PUP doesn't disappear next.

Having had both, I prefer the alcantara because it doesn't reflect sunlight on to the windscreen as much as the original dash did.
I agree on reflection mostly, but the "Patchwork Quilt" look bothered me. It is also ironic, that the main nose of the dash, over the binnacle, is not Alcantara, making it a reflection magnet right in front of your view (like a HUD :).

Reactions: J1mbo
If you ordered new and have PUP, the old PUP that included power liftgate had it listed explicitly. Not sure when it disappeared, but it was this year. If you got a CPO, you'll have to wait and see unless you got pictures. My 1st model S did not have the alcantara. When I got the second one, I didn't care for it as much thinking it will get worn faster, but I've had it for 2 years now and it still looks great (same as headliner), so changed my mind on that one - and it actually reduces some sun glare off the dash and actually looks less aged than the leather. Our most recent MS also came with alcantara, but that was primarily because it was bundles with the power liftgate (PUP), but nice to have.

You mentioned that the dash had "leather" before it had Alcantara. Was it actually leather or was it vinyl? And did it matter whether or not you ordered whatever was the upgraded interior? I have the PUP and Alcantara on the dash, but as someone else said, it only covers part of the dash, and I can't really tell whether the rest is leather (seems unlikely) or is some sort of vinyl product. In fact I am not convinced my car has leather on the door. It does not seem to feel like leather to me. Curious.