Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Alcantara upper dashboard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little off topic but I just had a loaner with the black Alcantara head liner. My 2013 has the light standard headliner ,that was only available in 2013, and I found the dark Alcantara liner gave the view out the front almost tunnel like. I always thought if I upgraded the headliner would have to be black but would go light again even with black interior.

Getting my car back almost felt refreshing.
It's the color, not the material. I had non-alcantara in my first MS, same color as light alcantara, no difference in lighting feel.

I don't know when that change occurred (no more Alcantara on the dash with the PUP option) but I'm surprised, as it is still part of the PUP on the X.

The X PUP costs $1,000 more but it includes power front doors. I hope the Alcantara dash piece included with the X PUP doesn't disappear next.
The price of the PUP is very loosely related to what it includes. For example, for the S it used to be $3,000, and it included power liftgate and (I think) alcantara dashboard. Then price went up by $500 and ventilated seats were added. Then ventilated seats went away, but price stayed at $3,500. Then power lifgate was removed (became standard) and alcantara dash was removed, price still at $3,500. The patterns seems to be items come and go, but price only moves up.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
You mentioned that the dash had "leather" before it had Alcantara. Was it actually leather or was it vinyl? And did it matter whether or not you ordered whatever was the upgraded interior? I have the PUP and Alcantara on the dash, but as someone else said, it only covers part of the dash, and I can't really tell whether the rest is leather (seems unlikely) or is some sort of vinyl product. In fact I am not convinced my car has leather on the door. It does not seem to feel like leather to me. Curious.
I am no materials expert, so really cannot tell. I will tell you this, my P85D does not have PUP, my wive's 75D has PUP because we wanted power liftgate. Both have the alcatara upper dash. This thread made be go look at the "napa leather" and I must say, I had to look really close to see the difference - the car with PUP has finer texturing on the dash/arm-rest leather, but it takes a very close look to tell the difference. I assume the non-PUP is still leather, but maybe it's not. Looks the same unless I look at it from 6" away.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I wish it was all alcantara or all vinyl (or leather). Either be plush or easy to clean. The combo has its positives and negatives but ultimate both sets of positives and negatives. Leather, if an option, would be plush and fairly easy to clean and maintain.

My 2013 S85 has a smooth leather/pleather dash. When we ordered my wife's 2015 S70D. the alcantara dash came with the premium package. Neither she nor I liked it, and at that time we were able to specify a 'delete' for the smooth dash.

I have the exact same model and year. Not too crazy with the alcantara dash either. It just collect dust and make it hard to mount things. I would forgot the added cost it adds for something like extra cup holder or something useful.