Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more blue washer fluid on my driver's side window...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
So, over the years, the question of how to stop the blue windshield washer fluid from streaking the driver's side window, or, prevent it from dripping into an open window.

Generally, this has not been something that has bothered me; however, it's approaching Spring, and there's lots of melting snow runoff on the roads, pelting my windshield with muddy splatter requiring a wash and wipe.

I wondered if I could create a channel to better steer the fluid up and over my car. I first went and placed a couple leftover pieces of moulding onto my windshield. I had leftover B and Z-style pieces from a door kit I purchased a couple years ago. The B pieces seemed to be too large, but the Z piece looked like it might work. If you place the adhesive down tight, it raises the lip, and looks like it might be a good block to the fluid.
IMG_3605.jpeg

Now, I had to buy a long enough piece to test my idea. I went ahead and bought a piece for under $5 on Amazon. Z-weatherstripping. Of course, it's now out of stock. There are plenty of others that will work, but they cost more. I just went with what was cheapest.

I cleaned the glass with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Then applied adhesive enhancer, which costs almost as much as the weatherstripping! Being around freezing temps here, I didn't want to try to apply the moulding without the adhesive enhancer. Then I applied the Z-stripping.

Tested it yesterday, and it works great! No more blue fluid on my side window!
IMG_3658.jpeg

Went skiing on President's Day, and no blue streaks. You can see my 3, with weatherstrip visible, parked in front of Sunday River, Maine, getting a free charge.
IMG_3688.jpeg

So, over the years, the question of how to stop the blue windshield washer fluid from streaking the driver's side window, or, prevent it from dripping into an open window.

Generally, this has not been something that has bothered me; however, it's approaching Spring, and there's lots of melting snow runoff on the roads, pelting my windshield with muddy splatter requiring a wash and wipe.

I wondered if I could create a channel to better steer the fluid up and over my car. I first went and placed a couple leftover pieces of moulding onto my windshield. I had leftover B and Z-style pieces from a door kit I purchased a couple years ago. The B pieces seemed to be too large, but the Z piece looked like it might work. If you place the adhesive down tight, it raises the lip, and looks like it might be a good block to the fluid.
View attachment 772535

Now, I had to buy a long enough piece to test my idea. I went ahead and bought a piece for under $5 on Amazon. Z-weatherstripping. Of course, it's now out of stock. There are plenty of others that will work, but they cost more. I just went with what was cheapest.

I cleaned the glass with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Then applied adhesive enhancer, which costs almost as much as the weatherstripping! Being around freezing temps here, I didn't want to try to apply the moulding without the adhesive enhancer. Then I applied the Z-stripping.

View attachment 772541

Went skiing on President's Day, and no blue streaks. You can see my 3, with weatherstrip visible, parked in front of Sunday River, Maine, getting a free charge.
View attachment 772542
Good idea. Doesn’t really bother me either, but I certainly notice it.

So do you notice the piece you added while driving? I’m sure you still see it, just wondering if it’s one of those things you keep looking at because it’s in your field of view (slightly) if it is.

Good idea. Doesn’t really bother me either, but I certainly notice it.

So do you notice the piece you added while driving? I’m sure you still see it, just wondering if it’s one of those things you keep looking at because it’s in your field of view (slightly) if it is.
Actually you can't see anything from inside because the black framing on the windshield. Nor can I hear it, because that was one of my concerns that the raised lip would increase the wind noise. I tried to mitigate that by running the strip all the way from the bottom to the top. Either way, I can't see or hear it.

Actually you can't see anything from inside because the black framing on the windshield. Nor can I hear it, because that was one of my concerns that the raised lip would increase the wind noise. I tried to mitigate that by running the strip all the way from the bottom to the top. Either way, I can't see or hear it.
Does it also stop rain entering the car if you have the window open a bit? I like fresh air if driving at low speeds but in UK it rains ….a lot. Consequently most of whats on the windscreen (possibly roof too) drip’s inside the car. It’s obviously a downside of frameless windows but it’d be nice to have a fix lol

Does it also stop rain entering the car if you have the window open a bit? I like fresh air if driving at low speeds but in UK it rains ….a lot. Consequently most of whats on the windscreen (possibly roof too) drip’s inside the car. It’s obviously a downside of frameless windows but it’d be nice to have a fix lol
Well, I'll try it when it rains. I'd imagine if it does work, you'd have to run the weatherstripping all the way up past the driver door, in order to channel the water further back.

Reactions: Xdama
I have brand new Tesla 3 and it stained with first use of washer fluid with factory washer fluid in tank. It is defective plastic. Decided to look on Tesla Motor club and everyone has issue. Going to ask them to replace.
Oh my gosh, these windshield washers are killing me! They streak my entire car, and that's not an exaggeration. All the way back to my rear hatch, roof, rear fender both driver side doors. I have these lovely streaks all over my paint and you know these chemicals aren't good for the paint. Off I go to get another $60 hand wash and one day parked at my office (coastal eddy) and I need to use them but refuse because the car is clean. So frustrating. I told the mechanic both times he was here and he just said it is what it is. No no no, this is ridiculous. Did you ask them to replace? Curious what lip you got.

Attachments

• IMG_7532.jpg
    IMG_7532.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_7534.jpg
    IMG_7534.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7535.jpg
    IMG_7535.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_7571.jpg
    IMG_7571.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 182

View attachment 772535

View attachment 772541

View attachment 772542
Hi Ken, I'm interested in your post because I'm looking for a solution to prevent that windshield washer fluid streaking my driver's side window, I like your idea but I can't see where you stuck the z-shape, on the glass or on the upright (direct on the paint)?

I can't zoom your photos enough to see that detail

thank you