Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more California Green HOV Stickers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the DMV indicates, it is time for green sticker buyers to queue up to help increase the chance of a possible future green sticker.

It is election season. No stickers, no votes.

Either that, or buy a BEV or CNG car. (Avoid the hydrogen station limitation if possible.)

The DMV just cashed my $8 check for my white stickers. Should be on the car soon (black plastic area only at rear). Not sticking them on painted surface. Hoping they won't stop me if I just have the small white ones on the black plastic area at rear of car.

... Hoping they won't stop me if I just have the small white ones on the black plastic area at rear of car.
The two larger ones go on the side and the small one on the back. Mine are only on the black plastic and the police are satisfied. They need to see those stickers for their own safety during their patrol activity. Open this link and scroll down for photos of my stickers and my suggestions in the 4th post on how to attach them to Model S: CALIFORNIA Carpool Lane Sticker | Forums | Tesla Motors

Here is another link with additional information: Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

In summary: The Tesla gets the white stickers and the Chevy Volt gets the green stickers (if available).
The above leads to the qualifying vehicle list at Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers.

In short, green stickers were for PHEVs.

White are for ZEVs (like pure EVs), hydrogen FCEVs, and qualifying vehicles fueled by CNG or LPG. About the only CNG car that could semi-easily be obtained was the discontinued Honda Civic GX/NGV.

To further answer the above poster's question, in practical terms the only difference is that green stickers are limited to a certain number, while white stickers are unlimited. If you have a white or green sticker they are exactly the same. The whole point of even having two different colors of stickers was to limit the number of PHEVs that qualified for the stickers.

As I understand it you must do it, and you have to wait for your permanent license plates before applying: Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage
With other cars, you can sometimes get the plate number early from the dealer, to speed up the process. It might help by only a few days to a few weeks, at best.

Some dealers in the past (not sure if it can still be done) actually already had HOV stickers on hand for their cars such as Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - Dianne's SoCal deals thru Summer 2014 - updates often!. She was able to do it long ago for the green HOV stickers as well (for Plug-in Priuses), but IIRC, at some point, when the limit was nearing, she couldn't anymore. Now that's all moot since green HOV stickers are depleted and production ended for Rav4 EV and PiP.

Reactions: mblakele
I did get my white stickers on 3/7. The $8 check was dated and mailed on 1/25 and deposited by DMV on 2/25. Enjoy the 6 week wait for stickers. Mail the form and $8 check after your license plate arrives. Be sure to sign the two page form properly and follow instructions. DMV will return it if something isn't right.

Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

Read the Frequently Asked Questions on the above site. You can type in the information on this form:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...8e5-aa04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Fill in the vehicle data on the top of both pages. Fill in section one, two (check Original Decals, ZEV, Electric) and print name, phone, sign and date section six. Mail in both pages to the address shown at the top of the form with the $8 fee made payable to DMV.

Last edited:
I did get my white stickers on 3/7. The $8 check was dated and mailed on 1/25 and deposited by DMV on 2/25. Enjoy the 6 week wait for stickers. Mail the form and $8 check after your license plate arrives. Be sure to sign the two page form properly and follow instructions. DMV will return it if something isn't right.

Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

Read the Frequently Asked Questions on the above site. You can type in the information on this form:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...8e5-aa04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Fill in the vehicle data on the top of both pages. Fill in section one, two (check Original Decals, ZEV, Electric) and print name, phone, sign and date section six. Mail in both pages to the address shown at the top of the form with the $8 fee made payable to DMV.

You don't have to wait until the plates arrive, you just need to know what they will say...