Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more dryer adapters (10-30 and 14-30)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that in many places where tesla is selling their cars superchargers are not at all prevalent. I'd much rather drive 5-10 mins to a supercharger then bother with all the adapters, but that's rarely an option unless I'm going one very specific direction. Anywhere else I need all the charging help I can get, and I know of tesla owners who think I have it good here because I actually have a supercharger within my driving range, some still do not.

I agree, we're not there yet. But we're heading in that direction, and Tesla just thinks they're 10 steps ahead of us ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I just install 14-50s in all my family's garages. ;)

Not everyone has that luxury.

I thought about doing that at the in-laws, but they have a 100A feed with an electric dryer, electric range, AC and most of their 120V breakers doubled up to make room in the panel...

I think this is a sign of Tesla going mainstream. Mainstream users aren't going to bother with huge extension cords and dryer adapters etc. They will supercharge and destination charge, but futzing around with other stuff is for early adopters. I carry two adapters in my car, chademo and a 6-50 to 14-50. I've never used the second one.

I hope this isn't the case because I would hardly ever utilize a Tesla destination charger. Tesla's destination chargers are often located at resorts and hotels that are far too expensive. Also, not everyone's destination is a hotel or resort. I stay with family when I arrive at my long-distance destinations, and they have a 110v outside and an unused dryer plug off the garage. I end up using the dryer plug.

This is the adapter that I use with an extension cord purchased from Amazon: NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

I hope this isn't the case because I would hardly ever utilize a Tesla destination charger. Tesla's destination chargers are often located at resorts and hotels that are far too expensive. Also, not everyone's destination is a hotel or resort. I stay with family when I arrive at my long-distance destinations, and they have a 110v outside and an unused dryer plug off the garage. I end up using the dryer plug.

This is the adapter that I use with an extension cord purchased from Amazon: NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

IMHO: The long term plan is use superchargers whenever it's necessary to charge away from home. With packs approaching 500 rated miles, this becomes the 99+% of even long trips. Destination chargers exist for convenience, you save time at the supercharger if you happen to find one.

This is several years out though, both in pack capacity and supercharger density.

Of all of the adapters I have used the NEMA 10-30 while at a friend's house. I've also used (unsuccessfully) the NEMA 5-20 adapter at ChargePoint stations that allegedly provide 1.8 kW on the L1 outlet and then cough up with over-current error.

/rant on
The whole push away from AC charging (no adapters, crappy mobile charge cords, and limited on-board charging capabilities on the various plugins) is bad news in my book. It is a sign of monopolizing and monetizing on DC charging (eVgo, looking at you!). 3-phase 64A charging is as fast as any of the existing DCFC stations, the station equipment is at a fraction of the cost, and here in the US we are being cheated out of it with the type 1 receptacles. It's a shame.
/rant off

IMHO: The long term plan is use superchargers whenever it's necessary to charge away from home. With packs approaching 500 rated miles, this becomes the 99+% of even long trips. Destination chargers exist for convenience, you save time at the supercharger if you happen to find one.

This is several years out though, both in pack capacity and supercharger density.

I think about it a little differently. Yes they will continue to build out Superchargers, but a natural destination charging buildout will also take place as those like @mmccord install plugs (I've triggered and/or paid for at least five 14-50 locations so far) and people like @Max*'s in-laws buy their own EVs and upgrade their electric service accordingly. And condos, workplaces, retailers continue to expand their charging facilities. But a 30A adapter is nice to have in the meantime.

No the car won't reduce the current rate (unless it sees a significant voltage drop) and this could present a dangerous situation. You should pull no more than 24 amps continuous on a 30 amp breaker yet the car will be trying to pull 40. If all the stars align and the circuit breaker does it's job and trips, that will be that. But if the circuit breaker is defective (happens all the time) you will overload the wire and the receptacle and this will lead to overheating and fire.

I agree. I don't think the csr will get there though, this is why I want to test it. I have been at RV parks on a 14-50 and I saw the car derate before it got to 40a.

I'm going to do a controlled test out in my driveway trying to pull 40 amps through 15' of #10 in 3/4" emt with a bonding bushing protected with a 50a breaker (with someone standing next to it to throw it if the car doesn't protect.).

If the car does what I think it will do, then I will repeat the test with #8 and record the results.

If the car burns up the wires then we will know to never forget to lower the current to 24a.

I'll take pics and videos when I do it. Won't be until at least January though.

The few times I have used my UMC.....are at my cottage. No supercharger will ever be near enough to a lot of rural areas. I charge with a NEMA 14-30 adapter and the dryer plug, which is just reachable from the driveway. This is my destination charger. I got the *last* 14-30 available for the Mississauga SC in May 2015. I've never used the other adapters.

All the previous Tesla adapters should be designed and manufactured with the latest safety features of the NEMA 14-50 adapter. We would buy new versions for safety and our charge cable would look elegant during use, rather than an ugly mess of 3rd party plugs, cords and sockets.

If the Model X seats were designed to look like art, shouldn't our portable charge cord feature a superior design quality during its use? Why eliminate artistic perfection when charging an EV?

We are not the only purchasers of the Tesla adapters. Some EV owners are using a modified Tesla Mobile Connector.

JESLAâ„¢ is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!

Last edited:
I wanted to load up on all these adapters when I first got the Tesla.

After 28,000 miles in the last 10 months, there is no point. I only charge at home (HPWC), Superchargers, and rarely, at destination HPWCs or J-plugs such as at hotels. That's it. I've never come close to even feeling the need for a dryer plug. Yes, I live in the SF Bay Area, but I've driven the whole West Coast.

The destination chargers at up-scale resorts are awesome and I do go to those places. I also go to Best Westerns at times for work and they have HPWCs too.

But hey, if you insist on having dryer adapters, buy here: For Tesla Model S

- K

I managed to get a 10-30 adapter from Tesla this past summer. When we got our car, the 10-30 was what we had our dryer on, otherwise all we had was 5-15 (120v-15a). I was planning to use it as a winter backup charging option if we didn't get a 14-50 installed.

We drove out to remote Utah to a family member's place in October. Despite my sister-in-law having a brand new house and a complete machine shop capable of building construction grade water tank trucks, I discovered no place to plug in except a lowly 5-15 plug. The house had a 14-30 plug, and the shop had 6-50 plugs, and we didn't have the right adapter. I couldn't even find a 5-20.

Over Thanksgiving, I managed to find a 14-30 Tesla adapter in the Bay Area, and while they said they had a 6-50, it turns out they didn't. I bought a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter from EVSEAdatpers.

I've got the 5-15, 14-50 and J plug that came with the car. I also bought the 5-20 (which I've used a lot), 10-30 (haven't used once), and the 14-30 (just bought it). I also bought the ChaDeMo adapter which I've used numerous times, and the 6-50 adapter from EVSEadatpers which I'll probably use over Christmas, since we're headed back out to Utah again.

We drive a lot in rural areas, so for me, its a comfort to have more adapters than fewer. We were fortunate that we were visiting family in Utah and didn't need our car. I've thought of buying the 6-15 (240v, 15a) adapter available now, but I've only seen one outlet in the wild so far (the air conditioner/heater in a motel room). Because we're in areas that are so remote, its better to carry them and not need them than need one you don't have.

I've seen a lot of twist lock outlets too (mostly 208v of various amperages), but just haven't felt motivated to worry about that yet. There's just too many damn plugs...

Great looking holder for your adapters. Where did you source it?

I bought the 10-30 and 14-30[1] so I'd be prepared. I consider it pretty cheap insurance when compared with the cost/hassle of being stranded or needing a tow.

I've never used them, but then again I've never used the fire extinguisher in my house either, but having them when I need them is well worse the price to pay for them.

I'm sure they are relatively low volume as compared to sales... and their necessity will become lesser all the time as charging networks grow, but this is one of those things I think Tesla should do out of principle, until we are at the point EV charging is ubiquitous. Especially in areas where a Supercharger may be far off the beaten path... and there are many of those.

I feel similarly about the chargers on the X: reducing power capacity options for the chargers is not a step forward, even if if 95% of folks won't be impacted. The goal is to allow EV's to be a viable option 100% of the time... and we aren't there yet. In the mean time, small things like this help plug those holes.

If we get a good email address to direct our concerns to, I'd be happy to chime in.

[1] Along with all the others[2]
[2] Well, at the time.. I think I still need to grab the new 6-20 now that i think about it[3]
[3] Hopfully there is room in my case:
View attachment 104747

I bought the 14-30 and 5-20 adapters before our summer 2014 road trip from AZ to BC... Part of that trip was out of Supercharger range, so we wanted to have options.

Here's a summary of destination charging options I've used over nearly 32 months of ownership and 45k miles:
- J1772: used opportunistically when on trips but only while eating/shopping, plus Disneyland's garage and one hotel in Oregon
- HPWC: used at 2 hotels. Also used one at a Service Center near Palm Springs before the Supercharger gap filled in.
- 14-50: used at the Grand Canyon (trailer village), and at a hotel in Tucson
- 5-15: used at my in-laws in BC. We were there for a week and split charging between the only j1772 in town and trickle charging at their house the first and last days we were there, which gave us plenty of range while visiting and to get back to the Supercharger network.
- 5-20: used once at a hotel near Olympia WA to add about 25 miles overnight for extra buffer

I've never used the 14-30, and there are now HPWC options in both places where I used the 14-50.

I may may get the CHAdeMO adapter for another road trip next summer, but only if needed for the route we are planning...