Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Free supercharging is part of the car on older vehicles. Removing it is theft of part of the car, no different than a thief removing the wheels and taking them. This is the reason they had to change the wording to a first owner agreement.

Just because theft is easy doesn't make it legal.
So I buy a car, any car, with premium wheels replace them with stock wheels and resell the car that makes me a thief?
Is that what you're saying?

I just checked my account on Tesla and I see the same thing. I have free supercharging. No mention of transferring to the next owner, never mind for the life of the car.
I suppose you could sell the car privately and not tell Tesla. You could offer the next owner your Tesla account by changing its password and update its email address, as long as you don't have a second Tesla in that account. They'd have to contact you if they needed any warranty work though.

I don't think there is much wiggle room for Tesla here, if they remove the ability to transfer FUSC to the next owner they diminish the value of the car.

If it is a car they own then they are perfectly entitled to do that.

If it is not a car they own they are not entitled to do that.

Reactions: KyleDay and whitex
I don't think there is much wiggle room for Tesla here, if they remove the ability to transfer FUSC to the next owner they diminish the value of the car.

If it is a car they own then they are perfectly entitled to do that.

If it is not a car they own they are not entitled to do that.
The last email I got from them states they are entitled to remove FUSC from any wholesaled car - not just the ones that pass through Tesla's hands.

So I buy a car, any car, with premium wheels replace them with stock wheels and resell the car that makes me a thief?
Is that what you're saying?
Are you serious?
You really don’t see a difference between someone taking something away from you without permission versus you making a decision about your own belonging?

Really?

Are you serious?
You really don’t see a difference between someone taking something away from you without permission versus you making a decision about your own belonging?

Really?
Read it again. No one is taking anything away from anyone without permission.

Let me try again.

I buy car A from whoever new or used that has premium wheels. I now own the car and it has the equipment I bought it with. As the owner I elect to change the wheels. Is that not my right? I then decide to sell the car with the non premium wheels and advertise for sale as having stock wheels. The buyer buys the car with and I deliver with advertised wheels.

Now please explain to me who took what away from whom.

The last email I got from them states they are entitled to remove FUSC from any wholesaled car - not just the ones that pass through Tesla's hands.

The only thing I can imagine is that they are relying on the ‘no commercial use’ clause to argue that anyone other than a non-commercial buyer can’t acquire FUSC and hence can’t pass it on subsequently.

@Alset4S Huachipato is real not imaginary, and above he is talking about property he owns that was stolen by Tesla even though Tesla was not the owner and had no legal claim to justify theft. If you were confused by that, he replied after you were corrected pointing out how Tesla claims they own every wholesale car including the ones they don't own. Which is obviously not true, making them thieves for stealing wheels from those cars.

@Mark_T Do any of the cars with a "no commercial use" clause attached have supercharging for life connected to the car? If so it's not many, that change came at around the same time supercharging was modified to be a perk licensed to first owner instead of a permanent component of the vehicle itself.

Reactions: VifferFun
Read it again. No one is taking anything away from anyone without permission.

Let me try again.

I buy car A from whoever new or used that has premium wheels. I now own the car and it has the equipment I bought it with. As the owner I elect to change the wheels. Is that not my right? I then decide to sell the car with the non premium wheels and advertise for sale as having stock wheels. The buyer buys the car with and I deliver with advertised wheels.

Now please explain to me who took what away from whom.
Perhaps you’re the one who should read what exactly is happening.

@Mark_T Do any of the cars with a "no commercial use" clause attached have supercharging for life connected to the car? If so it's not many, that change came at around the same time supercharging was modified to be a perk licensed to first owner instead of a permanent component of the vehicle itself.

If this what they are using as justification I would expect the position would be that the contract for FUSC can’t be between Tesla and the car, it has to be between Tesla and the car owner, so once they changed the commercial use clause, any new owner is limited by that clause.

That would be like if you owned the car and wanted to give FUSC back to Tesla, which would be the owners choice.

But Tesla just taking it is like you having an S with 21s and a ranger comes by and swaps you for 19s, I guess that's ok in your book?
No because it's not like that at all. What's like is if I sold the car to Tesla and then they changed them on their car. Which is their right.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
No because it's not like that at all.

How not? There are owners who are getting the FUSC removed where Tesla has not owned the car at all since new.

What's like is if I sold the car to Tesla and then they changed them on their car. Which is their right.

I agree with this, except Tesla did say "FUSC for the life of the car" and "tied to the car, not the owner", which they obviously didn't mean.

How not? There are owners who are getting the FUSC removed where Tesla has not owned the car at all since new.

What owners? What source is documenting this? Are you buying into FUD? I own such a car. As of last week I was able to SC without charge. As of an hour ago my account still showed FUSC.
Are they indiscriminately removing it at random? How could they possibly defend such a policy?

I agree with this, except Tesla did say "FUSC for the life of the car" and "tied to the car, not the owner", which they obviously didn't mean.

No because it's not like that at all. What's like is if I sold the car to Tesla and then they changed them on their car. Which is their right.
Thing of it from the buyer end, imagine you buy a used Tesla from a private party and it came with 21" wheels, a month later you wake up and realize your car has 19" steel wheels on because Tesla sent a ranger who swapped it out without your permission. Are they thieves?

You would be correct that there is nothing wrong if Tesla bought the car, swapped the wheels, and then resold them with steel 19" wheels. What is happening right now, Tesla is taking features away which they sold as transferable for the life of the car, as soon as the car gets transferred.

What owners? What source is documenting this? Are you buying into FUD? I own such a car. As of last week I was able to SC without charge. As of an hour ago my account still showed FUSC.

Well, that is what some posters in this thread are saying. I tend to believe them because they even have responses from Tesla trying to justify their actions. So are you admitting that 'if' it is happening this way it is wrong? I'm glad your car is unaffected, but, assuming since you haven't won the lottery that no one else has either is ludicrous.

They have no logic to advertise P85D as 691hp car then later come back saying it's only the motors which are theoretically capable of this, but the rest of the car will limit it to 463hp, yet they did it. Their "screen yellows due to sun exposure and is therefore a wear and tear item" also defies logic, yet they are claiming that. Their page used to explicitly say pre Jan 2017 cars had free supercharging for the life of the car, yet they wiped that off their website and pretend it wasn't there. All these things they are doing don't make sense, they simply count on people not willing to spend the resources to sue. Elon's strategy is new customers acquisition, keeping existing customers happy is low on the priority list, especially if it costs money. This is why he overreacts to any media storms, but ignores issues which don't get media coverage.

Well, I think you are correct about Elon's priorities... it may be time to get some serious media coverage on this issue. :cool:

Reactions: byeLT4