Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d be curious to see say a list of people’s experiences of this. Like a thread just detailing whether individuals have FUSC and the circumstances of the vehicle.
Just seems there’s somewhat conflicting information in this thread in so much as there was one post from jaredm25 with a reply from from Tesla stating that FUSC would be removed from sales through 3rd party dealers.
But yet Shibiwan says he did get FUSC.
I’m wondering if things differently here or not in the UK or whether we also suffer from from this policy change.

Reactions: byeLT4
I purchased my preowned 2015 P85DL on August 8th from an independent dealer and the FUSC transferred to me without an issue. I was concerned that I would have to fight Tesla for it but was very glad that it transferred. My scenario might be a little unique because my neighbour sold the P85DL to the dealer and then I immediately purchased it from the dealer the same day.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I purchased my preowned 2015 P85DL on August 8th from an independent dealer and the FUSC transferred to me without an issue. I was concerned that I would have to fight Tesla for it but was very glad that it transferred. My scenario might be a little unique because my neighbour sold the P85DL to the dealer and then I immediately purchased it from the dealer the same day.

Definitely a unique situation. I wonder if it's because the dealer didn't put the car in their name so the transfer of ownership looked like a private sale.

Was there a benefit for you to go through the dealer instead of buying it directly from your neighbor?

Definitely a unique situation. I wonder if it's because the dealer didn't put the car in their name so the transfer of ownership looked like a private sale.

Was there a benefit for you to go through the dealer instead of buying it directly from your neighbor?
Some used car dealers may be licensed to do just this - broker a private sale for a fixed fee or a percentage. Not all jurisdictions may permit this type of transaction. I work in IT, not legal.

edit:punctuation.

Where I am, if you purchase a car from a dealer and trade-in/sell a car in the same transaction, you only pay sales tax on the difference. Might save thousands in sales tax if your trade is close to the value of the newer car. Wish this was available for private party sales...

I see some used cars on teslas site have the “Free Supercharging” option. Is that any different than the “Free Unlimited Supercharging” that comes with a new S/X purchase?

I saw the same thing -- it looks like tesla is including "free supercharging" on some of the used cars again; it appears to include cars that were not in the original population of "free unlimited supercharging" such as this one

2019 Model S | Tesla

if the link expires because it is sold, it is a
2019 Model S
100D Long Range

with 240 miles and "free supercharging"

And as we speak there appears to be a special going on the tesla website -- new model S cars come with:
"free unlimited supercharging".

Maybe they're trying to raise money for unbreakable windows for the cybertruk?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.57.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.57.09 PM.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 54
I saw the same thing -- it looks like tesla is including "free supercharging" on some of the used cars again; it appears to include cars that were not in the original population of "free unlimited supercharging" such as this one

2019 Model S | Tesla

if the link expires because it is sold, it is a
2019 Model S
100D Long Range

with 240 miles and "free supercharging"

And as we speak there appears to be a special going on the tesla website -- new model S cars come with:
"free unlimited supercharging".

Maybe they're trying to raise money for unbreakable windows for the cybertruk?
The free unlimited supercharging for new cars has been a thing for a while now.

My question is in the wording. Why do new cars say “free UNLIMITED supercharging” and used cars don’t use the word unlimited.

This might be what you get with cars that come with free supercharging.

Aug 3, 2019 · Tesla began phasing out free unlimited access to its supercharger network when it announced that customers who buy cars after January 1, 2017 will have 400 kilowatt-hours, or about 1,000 miles, of free charging every year. Once owners surpassed that amount, they would be charged a small fee.

Or not.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Long story short, we had a dealer broker the transaction for tax purposes. The dealer took legal ownership of the vehicle for one day, but I’m not sure if that’s something Tesla was aware of. Anyways, I saved some taxes and still have FUSC

So just wanted to update on this. I was about to buy a Model X but decided to call about the FUSC at their customer service line (888)518-3752. I was on hold for about 30 minutes but got through eventually. I asked about the transfer of the free supercharger on a 2016 Model X owned by a private party (original owner, no dealers or businesses or anything). The tesla guy said without question that none of the FUSC transfer. It does not matter if its a private party or a dealer, that it does not transfer.

This seems like a total shafting of the people who bought it with that perk. I had to walk away from the purchase because at that point there is no reason to buy a used X. But now I am not sure I should buy a tesla at all. This is clearly illegal. I mean... I recall Musk himself saying these cars will one day be worth a lot because of the FUSC. Well obviously if it doesnt transfer, then they are worth the same as any other used car.

So just wanted to update on this. I was about to buy a Model X but decided to call about the FUSC at their customer service line (888)518-3752. I was on hold for about 30 minutes but got through eventually. I asked about the transfer of the free supercharger on a 2016 Model X owned by a private party (original owner, no dealers or businesses or anything). The tesla guy said without question that none of the FUSC transfer. It does not matter if its a private party or a dealer, that it does not transfer.

This seems like a total shafting of the people who bought it with that perk. I had to walk away from the purchase because at that point there is no reason to buy a used X. But now I am not sure I should buy a tesla at all. This is clearly illegal. I mean... I recall Musk himself saying these cars will one day be worth a lot because of the FUSC. Well obviously if it doesnt transfer, then they are worth the same as any other used car.
Sounds like you were probably given incorrect information. However, it is possible the policy has changed again. I sold my 2016 S last year and the FUSC transferred as it should've.

...I recall Musk himself saying these cars will one day be worth a lot because of the FUSC...

I don't recall any such claims from Elon Musk but maybe you're confused abbreviations between FUSC and FSDC.

Elon Musk did tweet about Full Self Driving Capability that would increase the car's value but not about Supercharging:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"If we make all cars with FSD package self-driving, as planned, any such Tesla should be worth $100k to $200k, as utility increases from ~12 hours/week to ~60 hours/week"

Reactions: ohmman and brkaus
...This seems like a total shafting of the people who bought it with that perk....

Tesla changes policy very frequently and without notice. The latest is no more infinity miles for Model S and X drive units and battery warranty.

If you bought it before the change, then you are covered but if you buy it after the change then you'll get the new terms, not the old ones.

We called off buying an X for my wife because of all this crap. Happy with my S, but extremely disappointed with the games. Just sad.

Still haven’t gotten FUSC and my ESA to show back in My Tesla after they were cleansed in the Fall, though the service center says they can see it.

Sounds like you were probably given incorrect information. However, it is possible the policy has changed again. I sold my 2016 S last year and the FUSC transferred as it should've.
Until Elon provides his cell phone number to call him direct, what employees tells you is the official Tesla policy as far as the customer is concerned - there is no other source of Tesla policy (unless you have one you want to share with us?).

PS> What Tesla did a year ago is completely irrelevant. Tesla keeps changing the interpretations of their obligations to cost them less all the time. Pre-2017 cars had fully transferable lifetime FUSC until fairly recently (within a year or so).

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy
We called off buying an X for my wife because of all this crap. Happy with my S, but extremely disappointed with the games. Just sad.

Still haven’t gotten FUSC and my ESA to show back in My Tesla after they were cleansed in the Fall, though the service center says they can see it.

Thats exactly where I stand now... we really want a eV and Testla was top of the list but you cant change advertised features like that. Trust is very important when it comes to big purchases. You also cant have 2 workers giving different answers. That is 100% unacceptable. I do have a preorder for the Cybertruck from reveal day and now I am thinking its best to wait.

I would change my mind if Tesla finally tells us what the deal is with this FUSC issue.... but this thread has been going a while now and AFAIK there hasnt been a peep from corporate.