Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We called off buying an X for my wife because of all this crap. Happy with my S, but extremely disappointed with the games. Just sad.

Still haven’t gotten FUSC and my ESA to show back in My Tesla after they were cleansed in the Fall, though the service center says they can see it.
I had FUSC when I bought mine but lost it a week or so later once transferred the car to my name. I called to confirm if I have it or not, and was told "Yes, you do" - it was on the same day when the transfer occurred. A couple weeks after, I was surprised to see some changes on my Tesla account and called them again and was told "No, you pay as you charge, no FUSC. I am sorry for the misunderstanding but it is what it is". They would not even try to pull a previously recorded conversation! Just straight - NO.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I know you are going through more than I did. I bought the car and realize free supercharging was yanked. However - initially they mentioned to me that I would still get the 1K miles of free supercharging a year - I have emails stating as much - but that too was taken away after their site was updated. I rarely use supercharging - so I didn't think it was worth getting riled up for that loss. I still at least have premium connectivity for free.

I think the issue here - and knowing @MS-Alec lost more than I did in his deal, is that Tesla seems to change the criteria on a whim. You think you got a set of features on a great car just to realize after it is added to your Tesla Account that they were removed without excuse or explanation - by then it is normally too late. The real pain is there really is no way to find out before you complete the purchase.

• Informative
I know you are going through more than I did. I bought the car and realize free supercharging was yanked. However - initially they mentioned to me that I would still get the 1K miles of free supercharging a year - I have emails stating as much - but that too was taken away after their site was updated. I rarely use supercharging - so I didn't think it was worth getting riled up for that loss. I still at least have premium connectivity for free.

I think the issue here - and knowing @MS-Alec lost more than I did in his deal, is that Tesla seems to change the criteria on a whim. You think you got a set of features on a great car just to realize after it is added to your Tesla Account that they were removed without excuse or explanation - by then it is normally too late. The real pain is there really is no way to find out before you complete the purchase.
Since I have no hard evidence for FUSC , and never was promised to get, I am ok to lose it. Especially, in light of multiple reports when Tesla will limit your charging speed and battery capacity if you are using SC too often (would be interesting to see an official definition-too often)

Premium connectivity - once again - I have seen this was set to expire within 1 year from the purchase date, but after the last update, it says Premium connectivity without any date! It does not mean it will expire within 1 year since never says FREE Premium Connectivity, right?

I am not going to sweat about free 1K miles SC credit ($50?) and the Connectivity ($120/year ?)

Losing anything it is NOT OK.

I believe that the slower supercharging has become pretty widespread. Even some of the model 3's are experiencing it.
It also doesn't always seem to have a direct correlation to the amount of supercharging. It appears that there are some who supercharge 90% of the time that still charge fairly quickly and some that supercharge twice a year, but now charge super slowly.
I also have read here that there is a number (kwh) that once reached will slow down charging speeds never to return again.

It's my belief that unless and until they have a totally different battery chemistry, it's a matter of when, not if your charging speeds will be throttled down.

Posted on Electrek today...it is getting worse: Tesla takes away Autopilot from used Model S sold through dealer - Electrek

Tesla has remotely deactivated Autopilot features in a Model S that it sold to a third-party dealer who then sold it to the owner. It’s another example that Tesla is still figuring out the entire over-the-air upgrade landscape. Jalopnik laid out the entire timeline of events in a report:
  • November 15: Tesla sells a 2017 Model S with Autopilot and FSD to a third-party dealer through an auction.
  • November 18: Tesla does a remote “audit” of the vehicle and determines that it shouldn’t have Autopilot and FSD.
  • December 20: Alec (the customer) buys the Model S with Autopilot and FSD from the dealer.
  • January: A new software update removes Autopilot and FSD from Alec’s car.
As you can see on the Monroney sticker, the features were listed on the vehicle configuration both when it was sold to the dealer and the final owner:

xgf198y8hdt4ewiaku2y-e1581083830943.png

Reactions: AMPd
Posted on Electrek today...it is getting worse: Tesla takes away Autopilot from used Model S sold through dealer - Electrek

Tesla has remotely deactivated Autopilot features in a Model S that it sold to a third-party dealer who then sold it to the owner. It’s another example that Tesla is still figuring out the entire over-the-air upgrade landscape. Jalopnik laid out the entire timeline of events in a report:
  • November 15: Tesla sells a 2017 Model S with Autopilot and FSD to a third-party dealer through an auction.
  • November 18: Tesla does a remote “audit” of the vehicle and determines that it shouldn’t have Autopilot and FSD.
  • December 20: Alec (the customer) buys the Model S with Autopilot and FSD from the dealer.
  • January: A new software update removes Autopilot and FSD from Alec’s car.
As you can see on the Monroney sticker, the features were listed on the vehicle configuration both when it was sold to the dealer and the final owner:

xgf198y8hdt4ewiaku2y-e1581083830943.png
Interesting. I wonder if dealers will price the removal of a 10k option into their price.
Looking at used Tesla model s on cars.com I see quite a few advertised with FSD.

Interesting. I wonder if dealers will price the removal of a 10k option into their price.
Looking at used Tesla model s on cars.com I see quite a few advertised with FSD.

The key point to this is that nothing will be removed if the vehicle does not come into control of Tesla. If you trade in a car to a non-Tesla dealer (including Carvana, etc) they will sell it with all the functions purchased for that vehicle. However if it goes through Tesla as a trade in they seemingly have a policy of removing purchased functionality to sell at a lower price - which they can do because they own the car at that point.

The issue in the post you quoted (which was from over a year ago) is that Tesla did own the car through trade-in, removed autopilot in their systems, sold at action to the dealer (who paid less), dealer sold to a new owner all before it was actually removed from the car. So from the owner's standpoint he had something removed that he bought. This is on Tesla to be more clear that a purchased feature has been removed so that the dealer and future owner are not caught by suprise.

eh, I still dont trust it. auction or no auction process.

If I were to purchase a car from Vroom, Carvana, used car lot, dealerships used lot, and they were advertising it with FSD? I'd get it IN WRITING from that seller/company, that they are selling the car with FSD as a feautre that will remain with the car during my entire ownership.

That way, if its yanked? I have recourse legally to get reimbursement from the seller.

The key point to this is that nothing will be removed if the vehicle does not come into control of Tesla. If you trade in a car to a non-Tesla dealer (including Carvana, etc) they will sell it with all the functions purchased for that vehicle. However if it goes through Tesla as a trade in they seemingly have a policy of removing purchased functionality to sell at a lower price - which they can do because they own the car at that point.

The issue in the post you quoted (which was from over a year ago) is that Tesla did own the car through trade-in, removed autopilot in their systems, sold at action to the dealer (who paid less), dealer sold to a new owner all before it was actually removed from the car. So from the owner's standpoint he had something removed that he bought. This is on Tesla to be more clear that a purchased feature has been removed so that the dealer and future owner are not caught by suprise.
Is there an easy way to tell if a used Tesla at a dealership was traded in directly to them or if it’s a Tesla the dealer bought off an auction? Besides asking the salesperson, who I wouldn’t trust anyway... no offense to car sales people

Of course the easiest way to go about it is the way @2101Guy said, just get all the included options in writing from the place you’re buying it from, that way if anything is removed post sale, you can go back to that place and sort it out with them.