Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us charging nightly in our garages, you are probably right. But for those who Supercharge almost daily, there would be a lot of value.

I partially agree....IF you get your power from solar and storage. I don't get my overnight charge for free so I don't agree that someone should DESERVE their daily SC power for free just because. I have always been an advocate that there should be some cost associated with SC not just for the (few I am being generous here) freeloaders but for everyone. It was a huge plus to get day one adopters but quickly became a gimme gimme gimme.....

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway:

If you sell to another person, they get free Supercharging since they're the next owner.

If you trade-in, you're effectively selling to Tesla. There is no guarantee on ALL following owners, only on the next owner from the person who bought the car new. So Tesla can modify and eliminate that feature before selling it on.

It's no different than if, say, you bought a car with 21" wheels and sold it used with those wheels and the second owner decided to change them to 19" wheels before selling it again. The third owner would have no say/claim to the 21" wheels originally sold with the car nor would that have any impact on the purchase price of the car in its current 19" wheel state.

I just bought my second Tesla. 2016 from a third party. So now I have 2 cars with free supercharging. I thought about getting a raven, since the price was similar (with less upgrades), but ultimately with 6 superchargers within 10 miles of me, we often use them. I guess I am locked in with these two cars for awhile unless I want to give up the free supercharging. I would like more range... but I figured every time I was about to take a long trip... would I take the 300 mile range with free supercharging, or 370 mile range without? To me, 300 is plenty before I need a break. I got lucky on the timing of this.

I just purchased my 2015 Model S P85D through a 3rd party dealer. The car finally linked to my account yesterday (7/23/19) and instead of the expected free unlimited supercharging - I got 400KW free a year. I have a feeling they screw over the new owner when they link it to their new account.

I’d take this up with Tesla. I believe all P85Ds should have unlimited free supercharging for the life of the car at this point. Interested in seeing how this turns out.

In the future you could have the situation where a P85D is sold to Tesla who turns off unlimited supercharging and sells it to a new owner who sells it it to a 3rd party dealer who sells it again where it wouldn’t have unlimited supercharging.

In the future you could have the situation where a P85D is sold to Tesla who turns off unlimited supercharging and sells it to a new owner who sells it it to a 3rd party dealer who sells it again where it wouldn’t have unlimited supercharging.

Owners will have to show the provenance of the CPO car maybe more now than ever. Before it was it bought from a third party dealer caused issues on I believe what type of warranty or extension. I forgot on that one sorry....

Doing the documentation may be hard to do without visiting a SC or contacting Tesla. Unless Tesla maybe stamps the car or something to prevent someone from selling something that isn't there because they took it away.

I see why they are doing it. I just would think they would need to pay a premium on a trade in to make the idea of removing them from the overall fleet. Trade in premiums don't usually happen. Tesla might really see the value in removing them. Someone is doing the math. I just don't see them having the $ to think that way now. Might be a demand lever to be re pulled again. Then again with Tesla you never know.

Free supercharging is going away, eventually, for everyone. Whether it’s by crash, battery degradation, or selling to a 3rd party. Linking to a new account will probably be the next place where Tesla asserts their control of “their car.” Well, I’m not planning to sell until mine no longer charges above 50 KW. I want to actually get that $10,000 of saving that Tesla keeps talking about.;)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
my tesla account says this...

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. Read our Supercharging terms.

Does that mean mine is not affected?

Yes, if you sell it in a private transaction. If you sell/trade it back to Tesla, it looks like they will deactivate the free unlimited Supercharging.

Reactions: Galve2000
I’d take this up with Tesla. I believe all P85Ds should have unlimited free supercharging for the life of the car at this point. Interested in seeing how this turns out.

I just chatted with Tesla and it went something like this:
Me: I purchased car and it should have free supercharging
Tesla: Policy change as of 7/19 - free supercharging cannot be transferred any more - your car was added on 7/22 so it is after policy change
me: but I purchased the car a week prior to the policy change....
Tesla: I see - we will add free supercharging back to your account then - give us a week and it will show on your account

That is very compressed dialog of the conversation - but I think anyone who purchases a car after 7/19 will have a hard time getting the free supercharging. I think I got lucky in the timing since I can prove everything was submitted prior to the policy change and the delay was on Tesla's side. The actual quote from customer rep at Tesla was: "Okay so looking into this we made a change on 07/19/2019 that vehicles purchased from a 3rd party will no longer keep the life time supercharging."

I just chatted with Tesla and it went something like this:
Me: I purchased car and it should have free supercharging
Tesla: Policy change as of 7/19 - free supercharging cannot be transferred any more - your car was added on 7/22 so it is after policy change
me: but I purchased the car a week prior to the policy change....
Tesla: I see - we will add free supercharging back to your account then - give us a week and it will show on your account

That is very compressed dialog of the conversation - but I think anyone who purchases a car after 7/19 will have a hard time getting the free supercharging. I think I got lucky in the timing since I can prove everything was submitted prior to the policy change and the delay was on Tesla's side. The actual quote from customer rep at Tesla was: "Okay so looking into this we made a change on 07/19/2019 that vehicles purchased from a 3rd party will no longer keep the life time supercharging."

that really is strange as the free unlimited supercharging should be attached to the car(not any owner). i understand they can do whatever they want with the car if it goes back to their possession but they shouldn't be affecting private party sells especially if it even says on our account that it will transfer to the new owner.

Older Model S and Model X vehicles that should be listed with free Supercharging no longer have the feature on Tesla’s website. It should still be possible to buy a used car from a third-party or directly from an owner with free Supercharging, but buyers need to be careful because Tesla switched its policy in 2017 and the ‘Free Unlimited Supercharging’ became linked to the ownership of the vehicle — making it non-transferable.

I just bought my first model S less than a month ago, third party, and it most definitely still has free supercharging.

I just purchased my 2015 Model S P85D through a 3rd party dealer. The car finally linked to my account yesterday (7/23/19) and instead of the expected free unlimited supercharging - I got 400KW free a year. I have a feeling they screw over the new owner when they link it to their new account.

How long did it end up taking to transfer the car? I bought mine early July, but didn't recieve the title from the dealer until last week and sent them an email with the required info saturday and haven't heard back from them...