Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more free unlimited supercharging for some used Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an email response from Tesla stating they are indeed removing free supercharging from 3rd party vehicles they do not own. "Thank you for contacting Tesla! My records indicate that you purchased this vehicle from a third-party seller. Unfortunately as of April 23rd, 2019, all Tesla vehicles purchased at third-party dealers/vendors will lose their unlimited Supercharging statuses. There may have been a slight delay in some credits disappearing as our systems had to implement the change fleet-wide. I apologize for the inconvenience."
I of course responded insisting this be escalated for an official justification on how they can remove items of value from a vehicle they do not own, in my case 2 months after I purchased it and did have the feature.

This is insanity -- I expect significant backlash, as I don't even think they have the legal right to do this. My neighbour's "My Tesla" page clearly states that the benefit transfers with the car when he chooses to sell it.

Attachments

• Free Unlimited Supercharging v2.jpg
    Free Unlimited Supercharging v2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 133
This is insanity -- I expect significant backlash, as I don't even think they have the legal right to do this. My neighbour's "My Tesla" page clearly states that the benefit transfers with the car when he chooses to sell it.

I included a screenshot of that in my response to them. Mine had the same language clearly displayed when I purchased the vehicle and for 2 months after purchase until they apparently got around to removing it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 87
I included a screenshot of that in my response to them. Mine had the same language clearly displayed when I purchased the vehicle and for 2 months after purchase until they apparently got around to removing it.

Don't give up, especially if you have the full screenshot showing the VIN. I certainly won't give up. I don't care if I'd rarely use the superchargers and that FUSC would really have little financial benefit to me, but I'd fight it in principle (i.e that Tesla is devaluing a product that they do not own). If FUSC doesn't transfer to me when I purchase my P85DL privately next week I'll continue to escalate it and hope that others will do the same.

Reactions: byeLT4
I just got this in an email myself:
"Sorry for the long delay on the outcome of your free supercharging. After it being escalated many time the end result is since it was sold initially to a wholesaler it loses the free supercharging for life and is no longer present for you when you purchased it. At this point you would get the 400KWh stipend each year on the birthrate of the vehicle as reflected on your account. "

I'm not sure it is worth pursuing further - but it really does feel like I've been cheated in a deal Tesla should not have been involved in at all.

Don't give up, especially if you have the full screenshot showing the VIN. I certainly won't give up. I don't care if I'd rarely use the superchargers and that FUSC would really have little financial benefit to me, but I'd fight it in principle (i.e that Tesla is devaluing a product that they do not own). If FUSC doesn't transfer to me when I purchase my P85DL privately next week I'll continue to escalate it and hope that others will do the same.

I definitely won't be giving up, I agree it is as much the principal of it as it is the actual financial impact. I still love the vehicle and may have still purchased it without this feature but to change the value proposition after I already purchased is unacceptable business practice.

I just got this in an email myself:
"Sorry for the long delay on the outcome of your free supercharging. After it being escalated many time the end result is since it was sold initially to a wholesaler it loses the free supercharging for life and is no longer present for you when you purchased it. At this point you would get the 400KWh stipend each year on the birthrate of the vehicle as reflected on your account. "

I'm not sure it is worth pursuing further - but it really does feel like I've been cheated in a deal Tesla should not have been involved in at all.

It's worth pursuing further in my opinion -- this is a slippery slope as another member mentioned. What's to stop Tesla from removing other features from your car? Tesla can do whatever they want with vehicles they own; however, they can't take things away from vehicles they don't own (i.e. those that have never been sold back to Tesla). This really smells like a legal issue to me. There are some used car dealers in my area that specialize in pre-owned Teslas and have 50+ on their lot -- I don't expect them to be quitely take a devaluation of their entire inventory.

Wow, Tesla's rampant anti-consumer behavior lately is astonishing. It is almost as if they want to anger all their customers. I don't see how they can pull free unlimited supercharging off cars that already had it. Even if the supercharging shouldn't have transferred as per the previous owner's agreement its really on them for not catching it far sooner.

Reactions: kavyboy
This feels like it’s going to be one of those things where Tesla tests the waters, realizes we aren’t having it, and backs off again. At least, I hope so. I think it’s clear they can buy a car and remove what’s they want, then resell it - just like anyone can. But nobody should be able to reach into another transaction that they are not party to and fiddle with a vehicle they don’t own.

I certainly hope this is just some kind of mistake in communication.

So with the wording the way it is for those of us that have free Supercharging, can they technically remove the free Supercharging after two buyers?
It says that if I sell my car the Supercharging will transfer to the next owner, but will it say the same thing for that next owner? Or will the next owner have free Supercharging but if they sell it it will no longer be free Supercharging?
I have always thought it stays with the car, but the wording actually says owner.
Thoughts?

Courtesy of the Waybackmachine we can verify that Tesla's website did originally say "life of the car" for vehicles ordered prior to January 15th, 2017. Others have confirmed that as 2nd owners they still have/had the "transfer to next owner" wording in their Tesla account just like I did. So it seems there was never any confusion about free for life until suddenly last month Tesla decided they didn't feel like doing it anymore.
TeslaFAQ.jpg
TeslaAccountScreenShot.jpg

Courtesy of the Waybackmachine we can verify that Tesla's website did originally say "life of the car" for vehicles ordered prior to January 15th, 2017. Others have confirmed that as 2nd owners they still have/had the "transfer to next owner" wording in their Tesla account just like I did. So it seems there was never any confusion about free for life until suddenly last month Tesla decided they didn't feel like doing it anymore.View attachment 438167 View attachment 438168

It doesn’t get any more clear than that IMO — thanks for posting! I will fight this and never give up if Tesla tries to remove the FUSC from the 2015 Model S that I’m buying from my neighbour next week.

This says to me that the Tesla company is really desperate. The amount of money involved here is tiny, there just aren't that many cars out there that this applies to and the cost of the power used on average for these cars is minuscule.

If they're willing to risk the kind of bad publicity this is going to generate, they're in deep trouble.

It doesn’t get any more clear than that IMO — thanks for posting! I will fight this and never give up if Tesla tries to remove the FUSC from the 2015 Model S that I’m buying from my neighbour next week.

That's the spirit, only way I would consider dropping the issue is if they agreed to a reasonable financial compensation for what was taken away. That would be the estimated cost of supercharging fees over the expected length of ownership plus something additional to compensate for decreased resale value.
I would get a screenshot of your neighbors Tesla account showing those Supercharging terms prior to completing the transfer of ownership process with Tesla.

This says to me that the Tesla company is really desperate. The amount of money involved here is tiny, there just aren't that many cars out there that this applies to and the cost of the power used on average for these cars is minuscule.

If they're willing to risk the kind of bad publicity this is going to generate, they're in deep trouble.

I still hold out some hope that this is just miscommunication/misinterpretation by low level staff. They did remove FUSC from CPO vehicles around this same time and may have just misapplied to some private sale vehicles. Clearly I'm communicating with Tier 1 support staff so far, if it gets escalated and I get similar response from management staff I will be much more concerned and disappointed in their business practices.

Got an email response from Tesla stating they are indeed removing free supercharging from 3rd party vehicles they do not own.

"Thank you for contacting Tesla! My records indicate that you purchased this vehicle from a third-party seller. Unfortunately, as of April 23rd, 2019, all Tesla vehicles purchased at third-party dealers/vendors will lose their unlimited Supercharging statuses. There may have been a slight delay in some credits disappearing as our systems had to implement the change fleet-wide. I apologize for the inconvenience."

I, of course, responded insisting this be escalated for an official justification on how they can remove items of value from a vehicle they do not own, in my case 2 months after I purchased it and did have the feature.

Wow, the smoking gun is now in Tesla's own words... and they also apologize for the inconvenience. :cool:

The truth is that FUSC is now removed from all vehicles resold by Tesla directly and 3rd party sellers.

When will people learn that you have to read all Tesla fine print with the most negative possible interpretation, and even then you have to save screen captures of the wording because they "clarify" them with further limitations (or sometimes complete change of meaning)? Elon is ruthless when it comes to money, so if he can pull a fast one on people to make a buck, he will. This isn't new, look back how he sold us on a 691hp P85D and then delivered 463hp and say "ha, ha, gotcha, we said motors can do 691hp, but the battery will never let it - we never said all of the systems in the car will allow the motors to produce the advertised horsepower, LOL". More recently, have you seen what Tesla lawyers are saying about S&X screens going yellow - "does not affect functionality of the car, therefore not covered under warranty". Anyone wants to bet that the AP2 cars with FSD will never get the free update to drive as unsupervised robo-taxis (Tesla called it ride sharing, car hailing back then)? Tesla will point you to the fine print which gives them till the end of time to deliver of course.

In this case Elon is scrutinizing the word "next owner" to mean only the very next owner, even if that owner only owned it for 60 seconds because they are the consignment dealer facilitating your transfer. If you were to ask people a year ago what it meant to have transferable supercharging, most (if not all) would say it stays with the car forever. If anyone was to try to suggest it only goes to the literal next owner on paper and only one, fanboys would flame them into submission. All along Elon was laughing "Suckers! They think SC stays with the car for the life of the car!"