Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more keyfob comes with model x?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not carrying a purse or, big news! Women’s slacks don’t have pockets! And I’m not putting fat phone in pocket to get damaged or lost in the great outdoors or on some stupid sidewalk. Phones are also stolen out of pockets. I nice small fob that only opens the car is what I want. I already bought one and I still am waiting for my MX.

It does come with the keycard, just like the Model 3/Y, right? If you don’t want to use your phone, use that.

How I wish our X had this system and I could do away with the key fob. It’s one of the most glorious things about our model 3 — the key fob feels like an antique now. I no longer carry keys *at all* — aside from the X key fob. Ugh.

Reactions: Vitaman
It does come with the keycard, just like the Model 3/Y, right? If you don’t want to use your phone, use that.

How I wish our X had this system and I could do away with the key fob. It’s one of the most glorious things about our model 3 — the key fob feels like an antique now. I no longer carry keys *at all* — aside from the X key fob. Ugh.
Lol it seems like you don't need the key fob if it is the only thing keeping you from being totally hands-free. Just use the phone like the 3/Y. The key fob just seems much much more useful for the X given door control with it.

Lol it seems like you don't need the key fob if it is the only thing keeping you from being totally hands-free. Just use the phone like the 3/Y. The key fob just seems much much more useful for the X given door control with it.

Can’t do that with the older S/X (like my ‘20 Raven.). App access requires the car and the phone to both have cellular network connectivity, and that’s not a sure thing. It also doesn’t have walk-up features with the app.

Still need the key fob for my model.

If I had one of the newer S/X models that use Bluetooth? That’s exactly what I’d do. And exactly what I do today with Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: John in LB
I’m not carrying a purse or, big news! Women’s slacks don’t have pockets! And I’m not putting fat phone in pocket to get damaged or lost in the great outdoors or on some stupid sidewalk. Phones are also stolen out of pockets. I nice small fob that only opens the car is what I want. I already bought one and I still am waiting for my MX.
You will still have to set up your phone. The phone app is the primary key, with the cards and any fobs you have, tied to it. I use the phone almost exclusively. My phone is also the key to my house. Therefore I always have it with me. I use the fob mainly for secondary service, car wash, vehicle service, or very limited use by others to drive it. But most of the time the fob stays home.

Reactions: Vitaman
You will still have to set up your phone. The phone app is the primary key, with the cards and any fobs you have, tied to it. I use the phone almost exclusively. My phone is also the key to my house. Therefore I always have it with me. I use the fob mainly for secondary service, car wash, vehicle service, or very limited use by others to drive it. But most of the time the fob stays home.
Sure. There are good, practical reasons to use the phone app. There are also the same for not having your phone on you or using it. Just saying, for some the fob is necessary and should be included. If you don’t use it fine. I’m never going 0-60 in seconds either.

Reactions: croman
Bad idea and bad habit to leave your physical backup key at home. If your phone ever dies, like one of mine did (screen just went blank and it never rebooted again; system board died), and you're miles away from home, how are you going to start your car and get home? ALWAYS carry either a key fob or key card with you. I have my phone setup as a key and I use the key fob as my primary key. The phone has to be setup as a key in order to get the Sentry Mode Live View, however, it was also allowing me to start the car without the fob, so I'd inadvertently leave the fob in the house sometimes, since the car isn't locked when I get into it in my garage. I revoked the "Nearby Devices" (Bluetooth) permission for my Tesla app so that if I ever forget to take the key fob with me, the car will refuse to start and I'll know I am missing the key fob before I even leave. Since it's easy to inadvertently leave the key card at home if you use your phone as the primary key, I suggest putting the key card in something you won't forget at home, like your wallet, and leaving it in there, if you use that as your backup key instead of your key fob.

Bad idea and bad habit to leave your physical backup key at home. If your phone ever dies, like one of mine did (screen just went blank and it never rebooted again; system board died), and you're miles away from home, how are you going to start your car and get home? ALWAYS carry either a key fob or key card with you. I have my phone setup as a key and I use the key fob as my primary key. The phone has to be setup as a key in order to get the Sentry Mode Live View, however, it was also allowing me to start the car without the fob, so I'd inadvertently leave the fob in the house sometimes, since the car isn't locked when I get into it in my garage. I revoked the "Nearby Devices" (Bluetooth) permission for my Tesla app so that if I ever forget to take the key fob with me, the car will refuse to start and I'll know I am missing the key fob before I even leave. Since it's easy to inadvertently leave the key card at home if you use your phone as the primary key, I suggest putting the key card in something you won't forget at home, like your wallet, and leaving it in there, if you use that as your backup key instead of your key fob.
That is what the key card is for. I carry that with in my phone case. Like I said initially, my phone is also the key for my house, so I *never* am out and about without my phone. I must have it to get back in my house, and it is the key for my car and it contains the backup key card (actually two of them, besides my X, I carry a card for our Model 3 as well). I also bought a fob for the Model 3, which most of the time hangs the hook next to my Model X fob.

This is not a debate that I am right and you are wrong. Different situations call for different use cases. Mine works for me, and your use of the fob works for you. Everyone is entitled to their own solution.

In my case, I am never ever without my phone. it contains credit cards, multiple Tesla key cards and is the key to get back in my house. In fact if I inadvertently leave my phone anywhere, it is probably in the car. It is in a black leather folio style case, which blends in rather effectively with my black interior. Note to self: different color case next time. My car is yellow, wonder I could find a yellow leather case somewhere, hmmmm.

Reactions: Vitaman and STS-134
That is what the key card is for. I carry that with in my phone case. Like I said initially, my phone is also the key for my house, so I *never* am out and about without my phone. I must have it to get back in my house, and it is the key for my car and it contains the backup key card (actually two of them, besides my X, I carry a card for our Model 3 as well). I also bought a fob for the Model 3, which most of the time hangs the hook next to my Model X fob.

This is not a debate that I am right and you are wrong. Different situations call for different use cases. Mine works for me, and your use of the fob works for you. Everyone is entitled to their own solution.

In my case, I am never ever without my phone. it contains credit cards, multiple Tesla key cards and is the key to get back in my house. In fact if I inadvertently leave my phone anywhere, it is probably in the car. It is in a black leather folio style case, which blends in rather effectively with my black interior. Note to self: different color case next time. My car is yellow, wonder I could find a yellow leather case somewhere, hmmmm.
Ah, well as long as you have either the fob or the card, you're fine. You just don't want to be caught without either one when your phone dies. The fob, as I learned on the first day I used it, actually has a contact mechanism that allows you to place it against the door pillar or on the center console to start the car, even if its batteries die or are removed, so it basically acts like a second key card.

Reactions: BogeyGofler22
Ah, well as long as you have either the fob or the card, you're fine. You just don't want to be caught without either one when your phone dies. The fob, as I learned on the first day I used it, actually has a contact mechanism that allows you to place it against the door pillar or on the center console to start the car, even if its batteries die or are removed, so it basically acts like a second key card.
Yep, that is my plan. Even though my phone never dies. I still carry a backup.

Reactions: jboy210
Agreed. Dropped my phone today on a walk and now the screen is pretty cracked. I can sort of see through it, but facial rec and fingerprint unlock no longer work.
FYI, phone and all the information on it will vanish after a warm wash, cool rinse, and normal spin cycle. The icloud backup does not back up everything. only Apple apps. Don’t know about tesla info But would guess not.

FYI, phone and all the information on it will vanish after a warm wash, cool rinse, and normal spin cycle. The icloud backup does not back up everything. only Apple apps. Don’t know about tesla info But would guess not.

iCloud backup should capture all of your data - you'd need to reinstall the apps from the App Store, but the data should still be there. If not, something is wrong.

Reactions: Vitaman and Prairie