Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more lane change with Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I first picked up my new S (no FSD, just AP) last month. Initially, I could change lanes by using the turn signal when on AP. Now that does not work for me anymore. Anyone else having this issue after the most recent updates?

Also, are any of you without FSD having your car see/indicate stop signs?

Thanks!

I first picked up my new S (no FSD, just AP) last month. Initially, I could change lanes by using the turn signal when on AP. Now that does not work for me anymore. Anyone else having this issue after the most recent updates?

Also, are any of you without FSD having your car see/indicate stop signs?

Thanks!

You'll need to pay for FSD for those features and more. Read your manual.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
So lets talk lane change a bit. What exactly does auto-lane change mean?

There are 3 possibilities for lane change behavior and autopilot/FSD:

1) Nothing. Car will not change lanes without disengaging system.
2) Semi-auto. Car will change lanes with system engaged, but only when requested by driver by engaging blinker.
3) Automatic. Car will change lanes on it's own when current lane gets slow and passing lanes are open.

Current autopilot on a new car falls under category 1.
An older autopilot V1 car falls under category 2.
What does a new FSD car do?

If a new FSD only does #2, are they working on #3? I wonder if they will also eventually add courtesy lane change for other drivers coming down on-ramps or for disabled vehicles on side of road? (again, passing lane would need to be open)

3, assuming the FSD package was purchased and Navigate on Autopilot is enabled on a divided highway where it’s available.

That's fascinating. Is it adjustable? I'm guessing not. Adjustments it *could* have:

1) Speed drop before changing lanes (if going just a few under set cruise speed, many folks would just assume stay in same lane)
2) Distance to destination exit (if within x distance to your exit, don't try to pass, just wait for exit)
3) You might want to change behavior based on traffic congestion?
4) Courtesy lane change behavior

BTW, I'm guessing they revoked the category 2 lane change from autopilot in order to encourage FSD purchases / create greater distinction between the two.

It is adjustable, there are 3 or 4 levels of "aggressiveness".

Personally I turned the no confirmation NoA off since it hasn't really worked super reliably for me on my drives, it changed lanes way more often than I would like it to, but I still use the confirmation with the stalk.

I do not have the new .40 firmware.