Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more manual battery preheating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since my Model X got the update with the Scheduled Departure feature, pre-heating the car manually (e.g., going into the app and turning on climate) does not preheat the battery. The battery icon doesn't appear in the upper-right, and when I get into the car after 15-20 minutes of cabin preheating, I get zero regen. This is with outdoor temps in the 20s-30s (F), and both with the car plugged into a home charger and unplugged. Is Scheduled Departure now the only way to get the battery to be preheated before leaving? I don't drive a ton on a daily basis, so the range loss isn't that big of a deal, but it's annoying to have to think about whether I'm going to get regen when I lift my foot off the accelerator, or if I'm going to have to use the brake.

2017 Model X 100D, AP2.5, MCU 1, currently has 2019.40.2.1

Nope range mode is not on. Once I’m driving the battery does warm up eventually, but on a 10-15 minute drive in the city I might not get any regen until I’m almost at my destination.

The same story with my TMX - it stopped preheating the battery fro. 2019.36.2.1. I am just guessing if it is something to do with getting breaks to work a little bit to avoid corrosion etc.?

I have the same issue. I don't leave for work at the same time everyday and so scheduled departure is not that useful for me. I don't get full recharge until after about 20km of highway driving and I find that rather annoying.

I noticed the same problem for me.

Just this morning I turned on climate keeper to 78 for 20mins. I think outside temp was 45F. Car was plugged in but fully charged. Range mode NOT on.

Car is nice and toasty but regen was minimal, then after 15-20min driving it turned fully on.

And I have done this last few days and same issue. With even colder Temps.

I think I used to see an icon in app for battery heating.

Now it is winter here in Norway and the car doesn't heat the battery at all. I get zero regen in the morning now. I have full regen after about 40km, just before I get to work. Yesterday for a test, I navigated to a super charger but drove somewhere else and the car did start heating the battery and I got full regen within 15km. I suspect this is a bug.

I was actually able to get the battery heater to start the other day. It happened when I forgot to plug in overnight and plugged it in the morning in a cold garage (about 45 degrees). When it started to charge it was at a reduced rate with the battery heater symbol on the app like it did last winter. After about 10 min it went away and it finished charging at normal rate, using Tesla wall charger. I am on 40.2.1 still, 2016 75D (former 60D). So I think it is still out there, but maybe different operating parameters. See attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.PNG
    IMG_0129.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 126
I was actually able to get the battery heater to start the other day. It happened when I forgot to plug in overnight and plugged it in the morning in a cold garage (about 45 degrees). When it started to charge it was at a reduced rate with the battery heater symbol on the app like it did last winter. After about 10 min it went away and it finished charging at normal rate, using Tesla wall charger. I am on 40.2.1 still, 2016 75D (former 60D). So I think it is still out there, but maybe different operating parameters. See attached pic.

Battery heating while charging never stopped working.

But I just confirmed that on 2019.40.50.7 it will heat battery when pre-heating the cabin. I had range mode off. And it did not show up immediately.

Battery heating while charging never stopped working.

But I just confirmed that on 2019.40.50.7 it will heat battery when pre-heating the cabin. I had range mode off. And it did not show up immediately.
Confirming at 0C preheat cabin turns on battery heating after 30 seconds or so. I have range mode on. Snowflake battery Symbol in app climate shows up.

Outside temperature overnight here was -7deg C. Raven MX is in an unheated garage and app showed internal temp of 13degC. I turned climate on to warm car and after 2 or 3 minutes the battery snowflake symbol appeared. I am on 40.50.7. So preheating car when really cold does turn on battery heater.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H