Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more P100D badge on newest ModelS Performance with Ludicrous package.....? Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always been amazed that Tesla can charge $20,000 or something that cost them virtually nothing. But, good for Tesla. Until the competition heats up, Tesla is providing unbelievable performance that people are willing pay for. There are few if any alternatives at this price point. Performance has always cost more. Go Tesla!

$26k with FSD. Plus tax.

F45E0639-C7C1-4C96-9987-B2E320C3D7AF.jpeg
F45E0639-C7C1-4C96-9987-B2E320C3D7AF.jpeg
Ok here is what my screen looks like now after they fixed it! Yay!

Originally, Insane was an upgrade from Performance or Plus Level Variants. Following, Ludicrous was a battery upgrade from Insane utilizing a special high current fuse that would allow the current needed to accelerate above "Insane" levels. About the time that P90D was introduced, Tesla determined it was more efficient to only build one battery for Performance and Software limit the vehicle based whether Ludicrous or Insane. So currently, Ludicrous is a $20,000 free-upgrade that is added as an incentive to purchase a Performance model S or X (adds $11,000) over long range variant which increases the average vehicle sale price with no added manufacturing cost. It works!!

The P100D and other quantifying badging was eliminated conforming to badging on Model 3. DUAL MOTOR is on the rear of Model S and X, most likely there is only one battery, software limited. If Performance enabled, then the DUAL MOTOR is underlined. If Ludicrous, DUAL MOTOR is underlined in RED. Looking forward, it appears this would allow Tesla to change Battery size as technology evolves without disclosing the battery Kw/Hr specs.

Last edited:
Ok so, I picked up my car and saw the badge on the back rear now saying Dual Motor. I guess P100D owners recently who ordered are no longer getting P100D badges on rear of car. Does anyone know if the badging on other new Tesla Model S 100D long range without performance say Dual Motor? How are the other Tesla Model S cars badged as of 6/6/19. Know one now knows you have a P100D. Good if you want to go Stealth. But it does look cool TBH to see P100D on rear like in older models. That’s a 20000 dollar upgrade in performance. How Do I know I have a Ludicrous package? It only says Insane + now and no mention of Ludicrous in the car. Please help as I don’t know if they even gave me the Ludicrous package.

I suspect it was mostly due to a bunch of legal issues Tesla would up in respecting the capacity of the batteries. A lot of owners were up in arms that the 85 and 90 had less capacity that the number would imply.

I suspect it was mostly due to a bunch of legal issues Tesla would up in respecting the capacity of the batteries. A lot of owners were up in arms that the 85 and 90 had less capacity that the number would imply.

BMW has been doing that for years with their trims/badges. It used to be that the trim "number" was the engine displacement in litres -- i.e. a BMW 325i was a 3 series with a 2.5 litre engine. But they stopped that and started using "marketing numbers" that were close (and usually larger than) the actual engine displacement. A BMW 540i might have a 3.8 litre motor, not a 4 litre motor like the badge might imply. There really aren't any legal issues here, it's just marketing-- nothing "legal" ever happened with the 85kWh or 90kWh packs anyway.

Tesla is moving to non-numeric badging to concentrate more on range, not on battery capacity. Or as someone else suggested, if range increases due to technology improvements, they can still sell the "Long Range" and "Standard Range" badged cars, but with increased range -- without talking about exactly how many kWh are in the battery pack.

Ugh. Owners are the worst. If they would just stop expecting truth, then lies would be so less bothersome to them.
I know. Just like BMW.

I hate that when I got a 540 the engine was only 3.8 liters. It didnt matter that the stated mpg and performance was what they said it was. I dont care about actual usability: I care about the actual specs when I take head off and measure cylinder diameter and stroke -- and it better match the number on the trunk lid!

I was mislead thinking I was getting 4 full liters of combustion chamber volume and that is what I wanted dammit!

Stupid lying BMW and stupid lying tesla.

Ugh. Owners are the worst. If they would just stop expecting truth, then lies would be so less bothersome to them.

Personally I never assumed that the 85/90 on the trunk was anything more than a marketing number. In fact I was a bit surprised that others thought thought that it represented actual battery capacity. My P85D performed the way that they said it would - range, performance, etc... And so I was happy.

With that said, the original wording from my P85D purchase agreement DID say "85kwh Performance Model S". And I don't think, even new, it ever actually came close to that, even when accounting for top and bottom buffers. So yeah.. their marketing people deserve to be kicked over that.... not the number on the trunk, but the '85kwh' in the sales agreement and presumably the marketing literature at the time.

In any case, saying "long range" avoids any possible mess, and I don't blame them a bit for doing this.

Reactions: bhzmark
BMW has been doing that for years with their trims/badges. It used to be that the trim "number" was the engine displacement in litres -- i.e. a BMW 325i was a 3 series with a 2.5 litre engine. But they stopped that and started using "marketing numbers" that were close (and usually larger than) the actual engine displacement. A BMW 540i might have a 3.8 litre motor, not a 4 litre motor like the badge might imply. There really aren't any legal issues here, it's just marketing-- nothing "legal" ever happened with the 85kWh or 90kWh packs anyway.

Tesla is moving to non-numeric badging to concentrate more on range, not on battery capacity. Or as someone else suggested, if range increases due to technology improvements, they can still sell the "Long Range" and "Standard Range" badged cars, but with increased range -- without talking about exactly how many kWh are in the battery pack.

Ah...I had thought that they had gotten legally slapped for this. My bad.

Not exactly the right forum, but I took delivery of a Ludicrous P100D Model X on June 28. I also got the Dual Motor badge with underline.

I was able to order the Model X badge and the P100D badge from my local service center.

I tried asking both Tesla Support via email, and my local service center in person whether it's possible to change the screens to say P100D instead of "Performance Ludicrous Mode" but email support gave me a stock reply about what changes can be made to the car's avatar (like color and wheels), and the tech at my service center said that my car's config can't be changed from what I paid for (despite my attempt to explain that P100D and Performance Ludicrous Mode are the same config, just displayed differently).

Also, there are a couple interesting anomalies in the API data for my car. There's no trim_badging key in my vehicle_config. Consequently (I believe), in the Tesla app, I see no text beneath where it says "Model X" at the bottom. I would expect to see P100D or DUAL MOTOR (with underline). Can anyone with a dual motor-badged S/X confirm if your app also shows like this?

Also, my option codes are completely screwed up. I have a Model X (MDLX) with deep blue metallic paint (PPSB) and [hopefully] Autopilot Hardware 3 (APH4).

AD15,MDL3,PBSB,RENA,BT37,ID3W,RF3G,S3PB,DRLH,DV2W,W39B,APF0,COUS,BC3B,CH07,PC30,FC3P,FG31,GLFR,HL31,HM31,IL31,LTPB,MR31,FM3B,RS3H,SA3P,STCP,SC04,SU3C,T3CA,TW00,TM00,UT3P,WR00,AU3P,APH3,AF00,ZCST,MI00,CDM0

So my Model X is actually a Model 3 (MDL3) with solid black paint (PBSB) and AP2.5 (APH3) in disguise.