Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more production guarantees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m on the fence with Tesla solar.

The main negative, or the one thing that’s really holding me back, is the lack of customer service after you’ve had your system installed. Granted there’s no way of knowing if you’ll need them, but it’s still worrisome to think people haven’t been able to get the support they need.

I received my contract today and it’s $38,046 for a 7.56 kW system with two power walls. While reviewing the contract, I saw that they no longer have a production guarantee. Didn’t they have this before?

Would love to look at my Tesla bid but they have them expire after so long so I can't check, sorry.

We didn't go with Tesla for my solar install but I did get bids from multiple local installers, some of which had "production guarantees". Ended up going with an installer who did not have one because a) their bid was substantially lower (with no discernable difference in quality) which easily made up for any potential "guarantee" gains and b) all of the production guarantees I saw were so stupid low that they pretty much would never have to pay out unless there was some sort of permanent cloud that parked itself over our house. Interestingly enough at least one of the installers has since started calling it a "performance guarantee", which I'm guessing makes it even harder for them to have to pay out.

YMMV of course.

Reactions: Ulmo
So I’m on the fence with Tesla solar.

The main negative, or the one thing that’s really holding me back, is the lack of customer service after you’ve had your system installed. Granted there’s no way of knowing if you’ll need them, but it’s still worrisome to think people haven’t been able to get the support they need.

I received my contract today and it’s $38,046 for a 7.56 kW system with two power walls. While reviewing the contract, I saw that they no longer have a production guarantee. Didn’t they have this before?
$38,046
-$14,000 for two PowerWalls
--------------
$24,046 for 7.56kW of solar.

That doesn't seem like a great price. But I paid $24K for only 5.6kW of solar in 2016 to another company, so it's "better" than what I paid, if anyone can call those outrageous prices "better" in any way. I can't wait until install prices of solar go down to one fourth of what they are now.

I think right now Tesla Energy is cashing in on cream-skimming those willing to pay more to get a PowerWall+Solar deal. It will be a while before those prices drop.

$38,046
-$14,000 for two PowerWalls
--------------
$24,046 for 7.56kW of solar.

That doesn't seem like a great price. But I paid $24K for only 5.6kW of solar in 2016 to another company, so it's "better" than what I paid, if anyone can call those outrageous prices "better" in any way. I can't wait until install prices of solar go down to one fourth of what they are now.

I think right now Tesla Energy is cashing in on cream-skimming those willing to pay more to get a PowerWall+Solar deal. It will be a while before those prices drop.

So the contract actually lists the solar system at $25,848. $12,296 for the two power walls. I’m thinking they moved some costs from the power walls over to the solar system side in case I dropped one or both power walls. When I asked how much less it would be to have one PW removed, the re said about $10,000 less.