Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more radar in Model Y/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Interesting article. Especially the update at the end:
Excerpt:

But radar has some tricks up its sleeve that you would still not want to give up:
  1. You get radar bounces from cars ahead of you that you can’t visually see because they are blocked by the car right in front of you. You can tell when those cars hit the brakes before you see them, before the car in front of you hits its brakes. That’s valuable.
  2. Radar sees perfectly well in thick pea-soup fog and similar dense rain/snow, which LIDAR and cameras have trouble with.
  3. Radar returns an immediate speed value on any target it detects, and no interpretation of many frames is needed.

Tesla says that Summon will no longer work.
And you won't be able to use autopilot at speeds higher than 75mph. (A bummer if you drive through Texas, which has a 80mph speed limit.)
Here is more info:
My read is that Summon will work (e.g. driving in a straight line forward or backward) but Smart Summon will be disabled at delivery (ability to navigate a parking lot).

I am speculating here. If their experiment with vision only doesn’t yield same or better results compared to vision + radar, I see them retrofitting radar unit in cars in 2022. Nevertheless I feel this is a one heck of a smart move to get around part shortage. Bravo!

I’m waiting on a Y and a seriously considering declining until this is clear. I’d hate to have one of the devalued Y’s without radar as I fully expect them to reverse this when shortages end. Imagine if people ask when buying used “is yours one of the 2021 batch without radar?”
So, unless Tesla really has some new cameras in the car, cameras cannot accomplish alone what radar and cameras can together.

Reactions: BitJam and rjpjnk
I’m waiting on a Y and a seriously considering declining until this is clear. I’d hate to have one of the devalued Y’s without radar as I fully expect them to reverse this when shortages end. Imagine if people ask when buying used “is yours one of the 2021 batch without radar?”
So, unless Tesla really has some new cameras in the car, cameras cannot accomplish alone what radar and cameras can together.
But, hey, I’m also new to this so I’d love all of your thoughts!

Yea... I don't know how I feel about this either. To be honest I don't know enough about how or why radar is used and the implications of it's removal.

BUT right now, to me this is a "Just trust me bro" moment said right before all hell breaks loose. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out amazing though.

I am supposed to pick up my Model Y in 5 hours. I have emailed order support and my SA about this, and it's been silent. I am a bit afraid of beta testing pure vision. I feel like this is google photos all over again. Allowing free unlimited photo storage, so they can perform machine learning and create a dataset of your photos. They said they are doing this to 3's and Y's - Their high volume cars. Sounds like guinea pigs?

I am 100% sure this has to do with the chip shortages, and while pure vision will someday work on par or better today it's not even on the same level as radar. I ordered in early April, so there is hope that I still have radar-equipped - If I get there and it's not equipped I am not sure what I am going to do.

1. it's no longer the car I test drove and can't do the things I tested in the same way.
2. I am not getting any kind of discount for a lesser product.
3. am I willing to risk the safety of my family and myself?