Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more radar in Model Y/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I see it. It's better tech and it's the latest and greatest. First thing that comes to mind is like when the iPhone went from the Home Button/TouchID to Front Camera/FaceID. People bashed FaceID until they used it and realized it was a game changer; then they stopped complaining. Just my 2 cents...

I think they took the decision due to market factors (chip shortage), and the need to accelerate the transition to the camera-only method (future goal). It's going to take a lot of machine learning to train a camera to spot the speed of a moving object accurately.
Exactly. Tesla has a builup of cars filling up lots due to whatever shortage. This way they can still distribute their cars half baked and keep the lines moving. Why would you test something on your #1 product? Wouldn’t you test it on your least selling? If they know its going to be ao great, why are they not taking it out of the S and X? I am pretty sure Elon must have no choice. Unfortunately the secrecy at tesla, and we may never know the truth. Why take a great car that everyone already loves which has worked pretty flawlessly for years and take a huge risk that seems obviously stupid. I ordered march 29 and hope to god i get my car the way i imagined it to be and work.

The way I see it. It's better tech and it's the latest and greatest. First thing that comes to mind is like when the iPhone went from the Home Button/TouchID to Front Camera/FaceID. People bashed FaceID until they used it and realized it was a game changer; then they stopped complaining. Just my 2 cents...
I see where you are coming from but I don't get it. It isn't like they upgraded the existing camera system. From the hours of reading through posts and web pages, the just removed the radar. Now they are scrambling to get a gimped system back to (hopefully) parity before some supply chain issues forced them to roll out cars without the radar. Now it is being spun as a good thing and anyone who takes delivery of one is even more of a beta tester than before.

If the software was truly ready now, they wouldn't have gone to the NHTSA and had all those safety features removed. Sure, maybe it hasn't been tested since, but if you put all the limitations on the use of it like they do now, not likely to pass any NHTSA testing.

While I haven't paused my order yet, I have a few weeks to wait. My delivery dates for some reason got pushed out about 4 days since yesterday when they were steadily moving up. I don't want to be a beta tester for features that were there before and now removed when it involves the safety of my family. Our lives are more important than Elon making his numbers for the quarter.

By the time you get delivery of yours they would have released the software update for this. I think its actually a good thing you get the car later if you are worried
I am a little worried. It’s just not I guess the car I test drove. I guess with the recent $500 increase and now this surprise. I’m worried I’m going to have an inferior car to the previous models

I have 25+ years experience in the aerospace industry (engineer/scientist). Removing radar from the vehicles is insane. This eliminates little cost but massively reduces reliability.

Having redundant sources of range data, especially in all-weather, is FAR more reliable. And we've already seen our Teslas' driver assistance features behave sketchily, with camera blockages being reported in rain all the time.

If the software stops using the radar in my current radar-equipped Model Y, I'm selling it and getting a Volvo XC40 Recharge all-electric or a Mustang Mach-E.

Can't stress enough how bad a move this was on Tesla's part.

I have 25+ years experience in the aerospace industry (engineer/scientist). Removing radar from the vehicles is insane. This eliminates little cost but massively reduces reliability.

Having redundant sources of range data, especially in all-weather, is FAR more reliable. And we've already seen our Teslas' driver assistance features behave sketchily, with camera blockages being reported in rain all the time.

If the software stops using the radar in my current radar-equipped Model Y, I'm selling it and getting a Volvo XC40 Recharge all-electric or a Mustang Mach-E.

Can't stress enough how bad a move this was on Tesla's part.
Totally agree.

So should I not take delivery of my car?
That's up to you. I have one coming as well, and I don't know what to do. On the one hand, this is a third car for me, so the feature set isn't that critical. It will be the least feature rich car in my garage. For me the important question is whether this will adversely affect resale value and I don't know the answer to that. My alternative is a Mach-e or XC40 Recharge. Those cars resale will likely be affected by their poor range as the industry starts to get better.

That's up to you. I have one coming as well, and I don't know what to do. On the one hand, this is a third car for me, so the feature set isn't that critical. It will be the least feature rich car in my garage. For me the important question is whether this will adversely affect resale value and I don't know the answer to that. My alternative is a Mach-e or XC40 Recharge. Those cars resale will likely be affected by their poor range as the industry starts to get better.
This is will be my only car and I was planing on buying it instead of leasing. I’m so frustrated on what to do now. Almost thinking about buying a used one. Waiting to hear back from my sales person and see what she has to say.

This is only speculation on my part, but a used Tesla may not help long term if future software updates ignore radar input. You would need to refuse those software updates, and subsequently may miss out on other improvements not related to this functionality. Another auto manufacturer may be the better option.

This is will be my only car and I was planing on buying it instead of leasing. I’m so frustrated on what to do now. Almost thinking about buying a used one. Waiting to hear back from my sales person and see what she has to say.
I would prefer to buy a used one too, but the problem is that the used ones don't really save you any money.

And other brands have issues too - Ford has a crappy interior, Volvo has too little range, VW is only available in RWD and is underpowered. The Hyundai/KIA/Genesis offerings look interesting but they won't be out for a while.

This is only speculation on my part, but a used Tesla may not help long term if future software updates ignore radar input. You would need to refuse those software updates, and subsequently may miss out on other improvements not related to this functionality. Another auto manufacturer may be the better option.
I was so excited till last night. Maybe they have one I can test drive again to see if there is a difference. Glad I won’t be getting any work done today just stressing about this

My car had 12 miles on it when I picked it up.

I was a bit unnerved about the Radar thing to be honest, on one hand, I see what Elon did here and push up his agenda to not have a bad quarter but on the other hand, Tesla has pushed the bounds of everything conventional from day one. I am buying into this unconventional way of thinking. I mean we are driving an electric car!

This is the first time in my life that I have bought a car and was in and out in 15 mins. The mini-van I bought my wife a few years ago was brokered through my Audi dealer and all I was supposed to do was show up and sign papers and we were still there for a few hours. I even brought my buddy who is a GM at Audi w/ me to take delivery and he was blown away at how unconventional the whole process was.

I do think it's a bit rushed, I still have questions about the limitations of visual vs radar i.e. fog, weather, poor vision, etc. But I live in So Cal, the weather is mostly good, my commute is limited. I would really only need AP on long travels anyways. I decided to take the leap and go with it.

I am still excited about the car, everything is as I remember from the test drives I did. I am less than 24 hours into the purchase so I will update as time passes and I have more experience with the car and the system.

I was a bit unnerved about the Radar thing to be honest, on one hand, I see what Elon did here and push up his agenda to not have a bad quarter but on the other hand, Tesla has pushed the bounds of everything conventional from day one. I am buying into this unconventional way of thinking. I mean we are driving an electric car!

This is the first time in my life that I have bought a car and was in and out in 15 mins. The mini-van I bought my wife a few years ago was brokered through my Audi dealer and all I was supposed to do was show up and sign papers and we were still there for a few hours. I even brought my buddy who is a GM at Audi w/ me to take delivery and he was blown away at how unconventional the whole process was.

I do think it's a bit rushed, I still have questions about the limitations of visual vs radar i.e. fog, weather, poor vision, etc. But I live in So Cal, the weather is mostly good, my commute is limited. I would really only need AP on long travels anyways. I decided to take the leap and go with it.

I am still excited about the car, everything is as I remember from the test drives I did. I am less than 24 hours into the purchase so I will update as time passes and I have more experience with the car and the system.
Random question: does it still have the front end sensors (i assumed they were radar) to show how close you are to cars or things in front fo you when parking?

Thanks so much for the update! I’m also in Southern California. I have another month until I except delivery so I guess I’ll see how things pan out. Please keep us in the loop. It’s very helpful

Reactions: vitosans