Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more radar in Model Y/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is only speculation on my part, but a used Tesla may not help long term if future software updates ignore radar input. You would need to refuse those software updates, and subsequently may miss out on other improvements not related to this functionality. Another auto manufacturer may be the better option.
Plus you will pay the same price or higher for a used one, since the flip the bit for FSD on all the cars they sell as used...

Keith

So, I assume that eventually radar will just be turned off on all the pre-May 2021 cars once Tesla Vision is up and running. My question is will they fork the software so cars that have radar will continue to use it until Tesla Vision is more mature. Or are they going to flip a switch in two weeks and every Tesla will be pure vision all the time.

Also, cars being delivered now without radar still have a working autopilot, correct? So right now there is vision AP and vision+radar AP? I wonder how they compare. This is just so confusing.

Reactions: rjpjnk
interesting, but this is how my SA is selling me on this new version:

"Can also confirm that you will get the newest Tesla vision Model Y, the forward-looking distance will increase from the 16 meters with radar to 250 meters with new Tesla vision."

• Informative
Reactions: A2be
interesting, but this is how my SA is selling me on this new version:

"Can also confirm that you will get the newest Tesla vision Model Y, the forward-looking distance will increase from the 16 meters with radar to 250 meters with new Tesla vision."
The narrow-angle camera has always been rated for 250m vs. 160m for the Conti radar in V2.5/3, so they’re definitely putting in the work here to make the best of a maybe-not-perfect situation.

So, I assume that eventually radar will just be turned off on all the pre-May 2021 cars once Tesla Vision is up and running. My question is will they fork the software so cars that have radar will continue to use it until Tesla Vision is more mature. Or are they going to flip a switch in two weeks and every Tesla will be pure vision all the time.

Also, cars being delivered now without radar still have a working autopilot, correct? So right now there is vision AP and vision+radar AP? I wonder how they compare. This is just so confusing.
They are keeping Radar on the S and X premium cars. I don't think think they will be downgrading older vehicles.

Here is an older article explaining why they use radar with cameras:

Removing radar is a downgrade as this cannot be acomplished with cameras alone.

I also wonder how much of a setback this will be for the actual FSD that many of us purchased? Are they letting people buy FSD without the Radar?

Reactions: Platini
I'm sorry, but for me the loss of RADAR isn't a deal breaker at all. It is a nice feature, but something that has flaws as well. Without a good way to discern/eliminate clutter it will always be prone to false returns. This means phantom braking, which is detrimental to the safety of the vehicle's occupants.

Reactions: swheat6345
I'm sorry, but for me the loss of RADAR isn't a deal breaker at all. It is a nice feature, but something that has flaws as well. Without a good way to discern/eliminate clutter it will always be prone to false returns. This means phantom braking, which is detrimental to the safety of the vehicle's occupants.
The few reports I have seen on reddit from people who picked up radar-less cars, all seem to complain about phantom braking. Both the radar and vision can cause phantom braking - sensor fusion will probably lead to fewer instances of phantom braking than radar or vision by itself.

The few reports I have seen on reddit from people who picked up radar-less cars, all seem to complain about phantom braking. Both the radar and vision can cause phantom braking - sensor fusion will probably lead to fewer instances of phantom braking than radar or vision by itself.
Totally agree that a combination of vision and RADAR would be optimal, with RADAR secondary to vision. I hadn't seen anything about phantom braking on the vision only system, but could it be due to calibration and software limitations? Just spit balling here.

I put my reservation on hold for the following reasons:
(1) Potential 10k ev credit
(2) Giga Austin and the 4680 battery
(3) Removal of radar

I also don't "need" a car right now, so it's worth waiting
page 33 details of the tax credit
The extension of the EV credit for two- and three-wheeled electric vehicles is effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2020. The elimination of the per-manufacturer-cap is effective for vehicles sold after May 24, 2021. The portions of the proposal making the EV credit a refundable personal income tax credit along with the VIN requirement are effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021. The EV credit phase-out rule is effective on the date of enactment. The commercial EV credit is effective for vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021.

It sounds like if it passes and you buy a car now, you'll get the credit.

I put my reservation on hold for the following reasons:
(1) Potential 10k ev credit
(2) Giga Austin and the 4680 battery
(3) Removal of radar

I also don't "need" a car right now, so it's worth waiting
I'm right there with you brother (or sister). Probably going to delay because I don't need a car right away either and while there are always reasons you could delay, there is a lot going on right now that really makes one pause.

I would add Matrix headlights to that list also. :)

Though with a $10K rebate, I would gladly buy a new Model Y without radar - my thinking is that the price reduction would offset the hit we take to resale value.

The Conspiracy Brother in me wonders if this was Elon's plan:
1. Remove radar to save money - fix it later in software, but don't tarnish premium brands (S,X).
2. Keep insisting all will be fine in the end. A ton of people will trust Tesla and purchase anyway (Tesla fans and people already waiting tooo long)
3. Some chunk of people will delay their orders, but as soon as there is a $10K rebate almost everyone will jump in before Tesla raises prices.

I never experienced phantom braking with the Nissan Leaf's radar based adaptive cruise control. IMHO it's much more likely that a camera based system will do that.

That's up to you. I have one coming as well, and I don't know what to do. On the one hand, this is a third car for me, so the feature set isn't that critical. It will be the least feature rich car in my garage. For me the important question is whether this will adversely affect resale value and I don't know the answer to that. My alternative is a Mach-e or XC40 Recharge. Those cars resale will likely be affected by their poor range as the industry starts to get better.
I ordered a Mod3 in April and with this change I'm seriously considering postponing delivery until things shake out. If my wife's Mach-E arrives sooner than later I might just cancel all together and see what 2022 brings with all the EVs coming to market.