Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more rangers for non-core market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I run a Tesla rental business with another owner and we're expanding and as can be guessed in the rental model we get more frequently issues that might need a Tesla service visit or expert... I have previously had ranger visits and in fact when I bought the car in 2013 being confirmed that Estonia is in ranger coverage was a big deal.

however this week I got an update from Tesla service when I investigated a possibility to do minor repairs via ranger that they had just received a bulletin from corporate that ranger service outside of core market is suspended until further notice...

oh well, every small thing now means shipping my cars :(

So I run a Tesla rental business with another owner and we're expanding and as can be guessed in the rental model we get more frequently issues that might need a Tesla service visit or expert... I have previously had ranger visits and in fact when I bought the car in 2013 being confirmed that Estonia is in ranger coverage was a big deal.

however this week I got an update from Tesla service when I investigated a possibility to do minor repairs via ranger that they had just received a bulletin from corporate that ranger service outside of core market is suspended until further notice...

oh well, every small thing now means shipping my cars :(

So being "non-core" means you can't even pay for Ranger Service?

Yes, previously it meant anyway that you paid for the travel fees of the ranger, but now it's just impossible. I think the cause is that they are short in service staff throughout Europe and just can't spare sending anyone abroad. When they had just a few thousand cars all over EU they could, but now with tens of thousands they seem to be overwhelmed. We actually got to a heated discussion with Helsinki service that we discovered many suspension issues and the car is at 73k km and they offered a service time in December by what time the car may well be outside of warranty. But they found a slot on 30th still and the car should be still below 80k when it goes to service.

but it is annoying, the other car is at 68k and just develeoped an kssue with the left mirror, another 300€ ferry trip to Helsinki :/ might check, it could be cheaper to pay for the spares and have the mirror fixed here locally :/ a ranger could have taken care of both cars AND would have cost less than sending the car via cargo.

Sending the Model S over via cargo costs ca 300€. Sending a person with a van over costs ca 75€. Ranger fee used to be direct costs of travel for non-core market (i.e. plane tickets, possibly overnight stay). Ranger could service multiple cars, sending multiple cars costs per car... Etc...

Ok. I did not take into account, that one ranger visit can serve several cars.

And after writing to Jerome yesterday got an immediate reply:

Dear Mario,

Jerome has forwarded your email to me, and I would like to reach out and apologize for the misunderstanding regarding Ranger service.

We have indeed suspended our Ranger service to countries outside the EU as we have encountered significant challenges with visa, work permit, and customs regulations. We are working to ensure compliance in a select number of countries and will include more as we develop the program.

However, Estonia is a member of the EU and part of the Schengen area, and therefore it is within our Ranger network as are all other EU countries. I have clarified this policy with Marius Iversen, regional service manager with responsibility for North Europe, and Helsinki service manager Samuli Nuolivirta who are both in Cc to this email. Ranger service is limited in availability but they will be glad to work with you to set up a visit when it is possible.

I hope this can help address some of your concerns, and please feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Paolo Forchielli | Director | Europe Service

So yes, there were some changes, but those affect countries outside of EU and because of other issues, not cost. And they are working with some of the countries to be able to provide it. I'm satisfied with the result :)