TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No more rangers for non-core market

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mario Kadastik, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

So I run a Tesla rental business with another owner and we're expanding and as can be guessed in the rental model we get more frequently issues that might need a Tesla service visit or expert... I have previously had ranger visits and in fact when I bought the car in 2013 being confirmed that Estonia is in ranger coverage was a big deal.

however this week I got an update from Tesla service when I investigated a possibility to do minor repairs via ranger that they had just received a bulletin from corporate that ranger service outside of core market is suspended until further notice...

oh well, every small thing now means shipping my cars :(

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

So being "non-core" means you can't even pay for Ranger Service?

3. Mario Kadastik

Yes, previously it meant anyway that you paid for the travel fees of the ranger, but now it's just impossible. I think the cause is that they are short in service staff throughout Europe and just can't spare sending anyone abroad. When they had just a few thousand cars all over EU they could, but now with tens of thousands they seem to be overwhelmed. We actually got to a heated discussion with Helsinki service that we discovered many suspension issues and the car is at 73k km and they offered a service time in December by what time the car may well be outside of warranty. But they found a slot on 30th still and the car should be still below 80k when it goes to service.

but it is annoying, the other car is at 68k and just develeoped an kssue with the left mirror, another 300€ ferry trip to Helsinki :/ might check, it could be cheaper to pay for the spares and have the mirror fixed here locally :/ a ranger could have taken care of both cars AND would have cost less than sending the car via cargo.

4. Matias

Matias Active Member

Does Helsinki service pick up your car from ferry?

5. Mario Kadastik

Yup

6. Matias

Matias Active Member

I guess it won't cost you much more than pay for a ranger visit then? Of course it takes more time.

7. Mario Kadastik

Sending the Model S over via cargo costs ca 300€. Sending a person with a van over costs ca 75€. Ranger fee used to be direct costs of travel for non-core market (i.e. plane tickets, possibly overnight stay). Ranger could service multiple cars, sending multiple cars costs per car... Etc...

8. Matias

Matias Active Member

Ok. I did not take into account, that one ranger visit can serve several cars.

9. Mario Kadastik

And after writing to Jerome yesterday got an immediate reply:

So yes, there were some changes, but those affect countries outside of EU and because of other issues, not cost. And they are working with some of the countries to be able to provide it. I'm satisfied with the result :)

10. Matias

Matias Active Member

Good to hear!