TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No more sleep and increased vampire drain since 2018.18.1

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Sam123, May 15, 2018.

1. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

Yes, it says something like that on the sleep page, but in the support docs it says the following:

There are two different data calls that TeslaFi uses from the Tesla API to determine the vehicles state.

1. Vehicle

Only a few data points are returned from this call. The most useful point is the online state of the vehicle such as online/offline/asleep/waking/unknown. The important part of this call is that it can be called without affecting the vehicle’s state. This means it can be called and it won't prevent the vehicle from sleeping and it won't wake the vehicle if it's asleep.

2. Data

This call returns all the useful data that TeslaFi used to display your information. Things like odometer, battery charge, range, speed, shift state and many many more are provided from this call. The important part to remember from this call is that it will keep your vehicle from sleeping and will wake your vehicle if it's sleeping when called.

So if we know the vehicle won't sleep by calling the data call we can pause using the data call for a certain amount of time and try to put the vehicle to sleep. The only issue is that we don't have any way of knowing when the vehicle is ready to go sleep. The onboard computers may be doing some work, a software update may be downloading, etc.....only Tesla knows.

Since it is still returning the state each minute it must just be in the "Vehicle" call state. So I don't think it would miss much if you start a drive in this time frame.

2. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Thanks for that find. With that said, it's unclear to me why the window would be important if there's no risk of missing data. Perhaps it's just a maybe-too-strongly-worded notice that while the service is letting the car sleep, the temperature & other ancillary data would be a bit stale? I've asked James to clarify on the TeslaFi support site in the related thread.

3. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

And he quickly replied:

Right, if anything happens within those 15 minutes TeslaFi won't catch it. If it only misses part of a drive TeslaFi will fill in the blanks and you most likely won't notice that it missed data aside from the map not showing a portion of the drive.
    You can enter a mobile number to receive texts when the sleep session is starting and reply back if you're going to drive and start polling again. Or you can receive an email and click the link to start polling again.

4. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

Ok things are a bit clearer now. Since the Vehicle state is only "online/offline/asleep/waking/unknown", during sleep enable it will only be seeing "online" while in idle and waiting either 15 minutes or a change to "asleep". Since idle and drive would both return "online" any portion of a drive in this window would indeed be missed by the polling.

5. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Yes, I believe that's correct. So the trick seems to be picking a solid value for the # of minutes to idle before trying to sleep such that with your personal drive patterns you're least likely to take another drive between when you finish a drive and <idle minute setting> + 11 minutes after stopping, while minimizing the choice of idle time within reason so as to minimize extraneous vampire drain.

6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Anyone else seeing sleeps max out at 30 minutes for the past couple of days? This started happening to me shortly after my last post. It happens at home, away from home, with my phone miles away from the car (another person has had it, using only the card). So I know it's not related to my phone waking the car up from getting close. It also doesn't seem to happen solely with hot temps, although I've noticed sometimes when it wakes up, the interior temp drops a few degrees, suggesting that the HVAC is running.

Very strange.

Also, TeslaFi has noted that 2 Model 3s got a new 2018.18.13 firmware release today. I wonder whether that's the brake reprogramming fix or something else.

7. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

It is interesting that 2018.20 is live for S and X but not 3 yet.