Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more sleep and increased vampire drain since 2018.18.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery 3 weeks ago, and have been tracking usage using TeslaFi.com for the last 2 weeks.

At delivery car had 2018.14.7 and spent vast majority of the day in Sleep losing very little (15-20 hrs of Sleep / loss of 1-4 mi per day).

After 2018.18.1 software update car has not slept but has been Idle instead losing a lot more (15-20 hrs of Idle / loss of 14-22 mi per day).

After 2018.18.2 software update situation remains the same, with large Idle losses.

Any ideas? Only TeslaFi has API access to the car, no settings have been changed.

This may be why neither version of 2018.18 has been in widespread release. The firmware tracker ev-fw.com shows 2018.14.13 is the latest version in widespread release.

To all new owners who complain they’re not on the very latest release, be careful what you wish for. There’s always a reason for slow or stop-and-start rollouts of firmware updates.

Reactions: PoitNarf
I took delivery 3 weeks ago, and have been tracking usage using TeslaFi.com for the last 2 weeks.

At delivery car had 2018.14.7 and spent vast majority of the day in Sleep losing very little (15-20 hrs of Sleep / loss of 1-4 mi per day).

After 2018.18.1 software update car has not slept but has been Idle instead losing a lot more (15-20 hrs of Idle / loss of 14-22 mi per day).

After 2018.18.2 software update situation remains the same, with large Idle losses.

Any ideas? Only TeslaFi has API access to the car, no settings have been changed.

Well, guess I'm the designated test driver for all y'all; just got 2018.18.3 update in my car. According to TeslaFi and ev-fw.com my car is the first one.

Release notes are identical to 2018.18.2.

I just started playing with TeslaFi on my 3 today. I noticed that the car has been 'idle' for 3 hours and hasn't slept. If I'm understanding TeslaFi correctly, the app shouldn't be causing this, so perhaps I'm seeing the same 2018.18.x-related issue as the rest of you.

Well, guess I'm the designated test driver for all y'all; just got 2018.18.3 update in my car. According to TeslaFi and ev-fw.com my car is the first one.

Release notes are identical to 2018.18.2.
I was the second one of today at 11ish.
I was having vampire lost this morning. Total of 6 miles within a 2-3 hour time span. I was at work.

I have no 3rd party apps, never had an issue of vampire lost, and was not in Bluetooth range.
I called Tesla and they suggested to do a longer reboot. I always did a reboot by holding the scroll buttons until the screen turned black. They suggested to hold the scroll buttons until the Tesla symbol comes unto the screen and then release.
My camera screen does not turn black for the first couple of seconds (never had an issue until the 18.3) and no more vampire drain since the reboot.

E802ACA9-6598-447C-B975-92FA359A5248.jpeg
1pm est

19B79CE7-0940-49B3-8693-B458B8EBFB66.png

535 est

Last edited:
I just started playing with TeslaFi on my 3 today. I noticed that the car has been 'idle' for 3 hours and hasn't slept. If I'm understanding TeslaFi correctly, the app shouldn't be causing this, so perhaps I'm seeing the same 2018.18.x-related issue as the rest of you.
“Shouldn’t be causing this” is not the same as “isn’t causing this”. I’m on 2018.18.3, I don’t let any third party crap access my car, and have only the same 2-3 mile/day vampire drain that I had with my Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I believe I figured out the issue with TeslaFi and my car not sleeping. Apparently the 2018.18.x updates changed sleep behavior, causing TeslaFi's assumption that the Model 3 will go to sleep despite being polled to no longer be accurate.

I edited TeslaFi's sleep settings as follows:
Screenshot_20180522-224755.png

Note the un-checked boxes which tell TeslaFi to stop polling even if the car is still reporting temps.

Once I made these changes, TeslaFi stopped polling 30 min after I parked the car, and when it checked in 15 min after that the car was asleep.

I believe I figured out the issue with TeslaFi and my car not sleeping. Apparently the 2018.18.x updates changed sleep behavior, causing TeslaFi's assumption that the Model 3 will go to sleep despite being polled to no longer be accurate.

I edited TeslaFi's sleep settings as follows:View attachment 303133

Note the un-checked boxes which tell TeslaFi to stop polling even if the car is still reporting temps.

Once I made these changes, TeslaFi stopped polling 30 min after I parked the car, and when it checked in 15 min after that the car was asleep.

Just to confirm that I discovered the same. My M3 never slept with TeslaFi enabled (2018.18.1, 2018.18.2, 2018.18.3) until I enabled sleep mode and unchecked the temperature checks. I conferred with TeslaFi support and they acknowledged that "recent" FW updates changed sleep behavior.

In my own non-scientific testing, having TeslaFi enabled with the "proper" sleep settings causes a little more vampire drain than not having TeslaFi enabled at all, but substantially less than when the car wasn't sleeping. In my case, I consider that a fair trade-off for the data that I get from TeslaFi.

In my own non-scientific testing, having TeslaFi enabled with the "proper" sleep settings causes a little more vampire drain than not having TeslaFi enabled at all, but substantially less than when the car wasn't sleeping. In my case, I consider that a fair trade-off for the data that I get from TeslaFi.

Agreed. The extent of the drain will depend on the settings you choose for sleep. With the 'default' once enabling sleep, TeslaFi will continue to ping the car each minute for 30 min after you exit the vehicle. Then it'll halt for 15 min and let the car go to sleep. So if you're making a bunch of short drives over the course of the day, you could end up with a couple-few hours less sleep which would add to the drain you'd see without any third-party app in use. You could choose to further limit this drain by setting TeslaFi to halt pinging after a shorter period--say, 10 minutes. That would take the additional drain down to near zero, but would increase the risk of TeslaFi missing drives in quick succession.

As it stands with the default settings (once enabling sleep), TeslaFi risks missing drives that occur between 30 and 45 minutes after the prior drive. (That's the default window for which TeslaFi stops pinging to let the car sleep). I think that's a pretty good window to minimize that risk while still keeping vampire drain down. And for that small drain, you get very cool stats and as a bonus your Tesla app will respond instantly within 30 minutes of a drive. :)

Folks running third party apps and complaining about vampire drain?

Read more closely. Folks are discussing changes to vampire drain caused by recent changes to Tesla's firmware. And in the specific case around which this thread centers, the issue has been solved. No one here is gobsmacked by the fact that adding a third-party app impacts vampire drain.

• Funny
Reactions: kodek and gaswalla

I edited TeslaFi's sleep settings as follows:View attachment 303133

I have found the same settings to work. It has pretty consistently taken 11 of the 15 minutes of not polling for the car to fall asleep. I have since reduced the idle time before sleep to 10 minutes and the car will go into sleep mode at 21 minutes.

I believe the sleep attempt changes the TeslaFi polling from data which keeps the vehicle awake, to just polling for the car's state. So at worst I believe you would only miss the first couple minutes of a drive during this sleep mode.

Mine has taken 11 of the 15 each time, as well (therefore sleeping at 41 min after leaving the car). I just reduced my idle time from 30 to 20. TeslaFi does explicitly say that the sleep attempt stops polling altogether, although if that were the case I'm not sure how it'd know that the car fell asleep at 11 minutes rather than 15.