Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more standard leather seats in design studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a S85 that was delivered 8/14, and now has a defective driver's seat that requires replacement. My Service Center has confirmed the problem and ordered the replacement seat, originally predicting a three-week delivery time. That has now stretched to 5 weeks, and the latest word from the factory is that they no longer stock the seat (obviously a first generation seat) and are "reaching out" to a third party to try to source a replacement. In the meantime my seat doesn't work like it's supposed to and they can't fix it. They now can't predict when (if?) they'll get one. I'm not happy. How can they stop sourcing/stocking parts for cars that are only 17 months old, as is the case with my car?

If I were in your situation I'd send an email to Elon expressing your displeasure. IMO, this is unacceptable!

I have a S85 that was delivered 8/14, and now has a defective driver's seat that requires replacement. My Service Center has confirmed the problem and ordered the replacement seat, originally predicting a three-week delivery time. That has now stretched to 5 weeks, and the latest word from the factory is that they no longer stock the seat (obviously a first generation seat) and are "reaching out" to a third party to try to source a replacement. In the meantime my seat doesn't work like it's supposed to and they can't fix it. They now can't predict when (if?) they'll get one. I'm not happy. How can they stop sourcing/stocking parts for cars that are only 17 months old, as is the case with my car?

It was my impression from my old car dealer days, that manufacturers are required to stock parts for a vehicle for a minimum of 10 years from last vehicle produced of that specific Model Year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

A link would be helpful. Comparing seats today would be 1.5 to NextGen/2.0.

I was referring to post 35...

Any idea of time frames for each change (VIN and/or date)? Based on another thread (below) seems like 1.0/1.1 lasted until about VIN36xxx-VIN38xxx.

New Seats and Retro Fit Seats - Does anyone know when?

Technically comparing seats today would be cloth 1.5 to next gen leather 2.0 ;)

Max*'s comment though leads me to believe that my original question should have been: When did the 1.1 seats make their appearance?

Based on the URL above it appears the answer to my question is somewhere in the VIN36xxx-VIN38xxx range, but I would like to get an approximate date range of when the 1.1 seats started rolling off the manufacturing line.

I am asking because there are quite a few S85 CPOs that I am interested in, but if the 1.0 -> 1.1 seat change is noticeable better I'd like to target those.

1.1 = 1.0 seat with the spring adjustment TSB applied. So if the car comes 1.0/1.1 seats, just ask them if the spring TSB was previously applied to the seat and if not, have them apply it. Thus, 1.0/1.1 vs. 1.5 is a better place to compare against. There, basically if it has AutoPilot, it would 1.5/2.0 and if it doesn't have AutoPilot, it is 1.0/1.1.

1.1 = 1.0 seat with the spring adjustment TSB applied. So if the car comes 1.0/1.1 seats, just ask them if the spring TSB was previously applied to the seat and if not, have them apply it. Thus, 1.0/1.1 vs. 1.5 is a better place to compare against. There, basically if it has AutoPilot, it would 1.5/2.0 and if it doesn't have AutoPilot, it is 1.0/1.1.

Appreciate the help here.... Last thing... Would you assume that those talking about the improvements in the seats within the "New Seats and Retro Fit Seats...." thread (see pg 2 and pg 3) are really talking about the TSB that was applied retroactively, or during the build process, (ie 1.1) and not some major change to the seat itself?

Assuming this is the thread...

... and you are referring to chickenlittle's experience, I believe his loaner were the 1.1 seats. There was mention in the thread about the EuroCap testing for whiplash, which the 1.0/1.1 seats scored high, but not the top score. It was that "failure" that led to the 1.5 seats and why these seats have a taller and more forward headrest. If chickenlittle or others had been in the 1.5 seats, I suspect they would have noticed the headrests being different.

Assuming this is the thread...

... and you are referring to chickenlittle's experience, I believe his loaner were the 1.1 seats. There was mention in the thread about the EuroCap testing for whiplash, which the 1.0/1.1 seats scored high, but not the top score. It was that "failure" that led to the 1.5 seats and why these seats have a taller and more forward headrest. If chickenlittle or others had been in the 1.5 seats, I suspect they would have noticed the headrests being different.

Yes... that's the correct thread. Thanks for your assistance and insights.