Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more standard leather seats in design studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened a while ago (I want to say more than a week).

It's a shame.

I noticed it in October. I was going back and forth between the two leather options and it was completely gone by the time I placed my order at the start of November.

Personally I love the new seats, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra price (iirc they are $1000 more than the others). I'd never sat in them until mine came in since my local store only had the older ones.

I noticed it in October. I was going back and forth between the two leather options and it was completely gone by the time I placed my order at the start of November.

Personally I love the new seats, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra price (iirc they are $1000 more than the others). I'd never sat in them until mine came in since my local store only had the older ones.

I think in October they pulled the regular tan and grey seats. But last week (maybe 2 weeks ago?) they pulled the last regular seat (black), leaving either cloth or next-gen.

I sat in both before buying my car, luckily my store had both, and I didn't like the next-gens. The side-bolsters weren't comfortable for me. And my wife didn't like how they looked, so that made it an easy decision.

I think the price difference was $750, not $1,000.

What's sad though is that the rears are still in standard (they didn't bring back the next-gen rears like in early 2015). So unless you go cloth, you are guaranteed to have mismatched seats. It wouldn't bug me, but it probably bugs some people.

What's sad though is that the rears are still in standard (they didn't bring back the next-gen rears like in early 2015). So unless you go cloth, you are guaranteed to have mismatched seats. It wouldn't bug me, but it probably bugs some people.

OTOH if I loved the nextgens and decided to get them, I wouldn't want to pay an extra $1,500 to have the rears as nextgens if I never have people there.

Make it optional? Sure.
Force you to get both front and rear for an extra $1,500? I'd think some people couldn't justify the extra $2,250 for nextgens

If I recall, when Next Gens first came out they were $3,500 and you got front + back. Then they made it front only w/o a price change (but eventually refunded people the difference from the next change). Finally they became $2,500 for front-only. So yeah, getting the $1k choice for rears would be nice.

If I recall, when Next Gens first came out they were $3,500 and you got front + back. Then they made it front only w/o a price change (but eventually refunded people the difference from the next change). Finally they became $2,500 for front-only. So yeah, getting the $1k choice for rears would be nice.

I thought it was $4k, but you might be right, maybe it was only $3,500. Tesla has had so many price changes, it's hard to keep track.

What I do remember though is that they reduced the price right before I ordered. I don't remember when I ordered, but the price was reduced before that! ;)

I really don't understand this. My 2014 P85D was ordered with original Next Gens, so eventually got them--front and back. But I don't understand how Tesla thinks it is OK to sell back seats that don't perfectly match the front seats in a six-figure car. It just makes no sense.

I really don't understand this. My 2014 P85D was ordered with original Next Gens, so eventually got them--front and back. But I don't understand how Tesla thinks it is OK to sell back seats that don't perfectly match the front seats in a six-figure car. It just makes no sense.

Supplier cost and availability likely. At the price Tesla wanted to pay, they likely didn't get enough units from the supplier to sustain it. So they dropped it (hopefully to soon be replaced with the X-version seats).

I have a S85 that was delivered 8/14, and now has a defective driver's seat that requires replacement. My Service Center has confirmed the problem and ordered the replacement seat, originally predicting a three-week delivery time. That has now stretched to 5 weeks, and the latest word from the factory is that they no longer stock the seat (obviously a first generation seat) and are "reaching out" to a third party to try to source a replacement. In the meantime my seat doesn't work like it's supposed to and they can't fix it. They now can't predict when (if?) they'll get one. I'm not happy. How can they stop sourcing/stocking parts for cars that are only 17 months old, as is the case with my car?

the latest word from the factory is that they no longer stock the seat (obviously a first generation seat) and are "reaching out" to a third party to try to source a replacement.

Do your rear seats have the taller headrests that almost block the hatch window through your rearview mirror (i.e., 1.5 seats), or do you have the shorter rear seat headrests that only block 1/3 - 1/2 of the rear hatch in the rearview mirror (1.0/1.1 seats). If the former, cool beans. If the latter, pay special attention when they receive the new driver's seat. The front seats have different headrests between 1.0/1.1 and 1.5, so make sure what they get in matches the passenger side of your car or else make them change both out so they match.

I have a S85 that was delivered 8/14, and now has a defective driver's seat that requires replacement. My Service Center has confirmed the problem and ordered the replacement seat, originally predicting a three-week delivery time. That has now stretched to 5 weeks, and the latest word from the factory is that they no longer stock the seat (obviously a first generation seat) and are "reaching out" to a third party to try to source a replacement. In the meantime my seat doesn't work like it's supposed to and they can't fix it. They now can't predict when (if?) they'll get one. I'm not happy. How can they stop sourcing/stocking parts for cars that are only 17 months old, as is the case with my car?

I wonder if a similar issue may exist at some point in the future for those of us with true next gen rear seats.

Do your rear seats have the taller headrests that almost block the hatch window through your rearview mirror (i.e., 1.5 seats), or do you have the shorter rear seat headrests that only block 1/3 - 1/2 of the rear hatch in the rearview mirror (1.0/1.1 seats). If the former, cool beans. If the latter, pay special attention when they receive the new driver's seat. The front seats have different headrests between 1.0/1.1 and 1.5, so make sure what they get in matches the passenger side of your car or else make them change both out so they match.

I would like the synthetic option and adjustable headrests but if it means non-folding rear seats in the S once again...No thanks!

I am a big fan of the new leather next generation seats with the great support and side bolsters for spirited driving. :cool:
Not a fan of the high rear headrests in the second row that block the rear view ... especially the middle rear position. :confused: