Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Stealth Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boy I’m sure glad I ordered my Model Y Performance without PUP before Tesla removed the option from the configurator. I love my thrilling acceleration, but need higher suspension and longer range - so no PUP was perfect for me despite the cost. How do others feel? Maybe Tesla would resinstute, or allow Service Centers to order Stealths in the background? I’m guessing there wasn’t enough demand for my option. Will there be an acceleration upgrade to long-range as there is/was for Model 3? I’d be itnerested to see what people thinnk.

Reactions: Impaler
Yeah this a bummer for me. I like the $3,000 price drop but I was planning on getting the stealth performance with the inductions. Now that there is a $10k price difference between the LR AWD and performance and the fact I don’t want the 21” wheels or lowered suspension forces me to go without the performance.

hopefully going without the performance doesn’t leave me regretting the lack of additional acceleration.

This is my current dilemma. I have a white/white performance with FSD but WITHOUT PUP currently on order. I am very tempted to change to the LR AWD but I’m still uncertain...... The 21” wheels are just not an option for me as I drive 35k miles per year. With the staggered tire size I would be replacing tires 2-3 times per year!

EDIT: Does anyone know if you can get the performance brakes added to this configuration?

This is my current dilemma. I have a white/white performance with FSD but WITHOUT PUP currently on order. I am very tempted to change to the LR AWD but I’m still uncertain...... The 21” wheels are just not an option for me as I drive 35k miles per year. With the staggered tire size I would be replacing tires 2-3 times per year!

EDIT: Does anyone know if you can get the performance brakes added to this configuration?
The PUP is the only configuration with brake “upgrade.” Note that other than track use, the brake upgrade is largely useless.

I think my actual brakes have only been applied once in 400 miles.

I am very conflicted now myself. I really wanted faster acceleration and after driving LR it didn't feel as nimble off the line as I thought it could be (probably because I had to push pedal harder to speed up). So when Stealth with 20" became available I convinced myself that the upgrade is only 6k (accounting for Inductions). But now price difference to get that acceleration is 9k, and I can't justify it anymore. I need higher suspension since I live in flood zone, and have no desire for 21" range losing wheels. LR doesn't seem very exciting to me after test drive, certainly not enough to drop 50k on it, so I'm deciding on cancelling outright and forgetting about EVs for a while

I am very conflicted now myself. I really wanted faster acceleration and after driving LR it didn't feel as nimble off the line as I thought it could be (probably because I had to push pedal harder to speed up). So when Stealth with 20" became available I convinced myself that the upgrade is only 6k (accounting for Inductions). But now price difference to get that acceleration is 9k, and I can't justify it anymore. I need higher suspension since I live in flood zone, and have no desire for 21" range losing wheels. LR doesn't seem very exciting to me after test drive, certainly not enough to drop 50k on it, so I'm deciding on cancelling outright and forgetting about EVs for a while
Probably a good idea

• Funny
Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Does anyone know if the Stealth Performance Model Y is still available off menu? Was conflicted between the AWD and the non-PUP Performance but the small price drop now makes the Performance eligible for the NY State incentive. 21” wheels are out of question given the range hit.

Same, will check with the local center on Monday to see if they will be offering the stealth as I just got my VIN for the performance w/21”, but the 10k difference between models now has me thinking LR and purchase acceleration boost once available or order a stealth if cheaper than performance with 21”.

Same, will check with the local center on Monday to see if they will be offering the stealth as I just got my VIN for the performance w/21”, but the 10k difference between models now has me thinking LR and purchase acceleration boost once available or order a stealth if cheaper than performance with 21”.

For me, stealth with 20 is 1k more than Performance with 21s

Yeah this a bummer for me. I like the $3,000 price drop but I was planning on getting the stealth performance with the inductions. Now that there is a $10k price difference between the LR AWD and performance and the fact I don’t want the 21” wheels or lowered suspension forces me to go without the performance.

hopefully going without the performance doesn’t leave me regretting the lack of additional acceleration.
You won't, I have the MY stealth performance, I always like fast cars but the Tesla 0-60 is not the same as ICE, instant torque honestly gives you a headrush, my wife has a BMW 440i twin turbo with the same acceleration 0-60 times as YLR, it's damn fast - but even with twin turbo there is a slight delay in power deliver. Tesla will has max torque at 0 rpm's so it will feel faster.
If I had to choose model Y again, I would consider the cheaper AWD-LR. $9,000 for simple software unlock seems steep.

They presented the PUP as a free option -- better car for free! -- so, of course, people took it without hesitation without necessarily knowing the first thing about what the larger wheels and lowered suspension meant. So to then look at the order volume and say, "nobody was taking the stealth option, so we will discontinue it," was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Removing the ability to downgrade the wheels to induction makes no sense at all. Why does Tesla act as if the wheels are an integral part of the car that are not easily swapped?

Reactions: wasloan
I do feel the Tesla should still offer a different wheel/tire option for the performance model. Not everyone lives in an area that can deal with summer only tires year-round. Not that I’m comparing Tesla to an ICE manufacture but BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc...... give you tire/wheel options with their performance models. If the Gemini/Induction wheels fit over the performance brakes just make one of those an option Along with the 21” and have all the other PUP Items included.

Based on the menu change, do people think Tesla will not fulfill undelivered stealth performance orders? I ordered AWD in March 2019, upgraded to stealth performance March 2020, received a "do you want to take delivery in June" text, but have not yet received a VIN.

Buy the Performance Y and just sell the 21" wheels. Then put on a set of TSportline 19 or 20" wheels and tires. It’s almost a wash if you buy them when they are on sale. They seem to be running sales every few weeks. Plus you get the red brakes, spoiler and aluminum pedals along with a set of wheels that set the car off as a bit different from every other Y you pass on the road.

Buy the Performance Y and just sell the 21" wheels. Then put on a set of TSportline 19 or 20" wheels and tires. It’s almost a wash if you buy them when they are on sale. They seem to be running sales every few weeks. Plus you get the red brakes, spoiler and aluminum pedals along with a set of wheels that set the car off as a bit different from every other Y you pass on the road.
Unfortunately not many people are buying the 21” rims. That was my plan but notice people have a hard time getting just 2k for them.

Reactions: Kelr316
Unfortunately not many people are buying the 21” rims. That was my plan but notice people have a hard time getting just 2k for them.
Hmmm, they really do look nicer with the bigger wheels in my opinion. There must be a lot of bad roads out there. We have never hurt a 20", 21" or 22" Tesla wheel on our nice Florida roads. As delivery numbers increase I would imagine that the demand for 21’s will go up because they have been delivering the higher trim cars first. There will be more budget Y buyers getting cheaper cars that will want to upgrade as sales numbers increase.