Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more tire kicking! New inventory 85D is on its way to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I was patient enough (barely) to wait for an inventory car, and it paid off!

Within 2 weeks I'll take delivery on a new blue 85D, sunroof, black next gen seats, and UHF sound. Our only compromise was we aren't getting the subzero package, but I am banking on new wiper blades and low temp washer fluid making up for the lack of heated windshield and fluid nozzles.

My ideal delivery date would be July 3, but of course Telsa wants to deliver (at least on paper) by June 30. First world problem....I'm sure we'll figure it out.

EDIT: the paperwork says 50 miles on the car, but my SC says it's probably closer to 10 miles. It was just delivered to one of the Chicago stores.

Big congratulations to you.
We were ogling that new blue as one was dropped off the factory delivery truck this afternoon - it is a gorgeous color. Just looking at it should keep your windshield from freezing up.

Do you mind sharing what kind of discount you got?

Approx $1900. I was watching a "more loaded" 85D inventory car with no miles that sold with a discount of $2069...discounts are small on the inventory cars with no miles. It's basically a new car...says 50 miles on the cut sheet, but is literally right off the truck. Any car that actually becomes a demo and builds up some miles will have a bigger discount, but it doesn't seem like a good trade off to wait if you have a specific config in mind and one becomes available with ANY discount at a price that works. At least that's how I justify it. I didn't pull the trigger on the previous car because it was still over my mental threshold of $100K and one more discount would've taken it below that threshold, so I decided to watch it. I'm not sorry I did.

Approx $1900. I was watching a "more loaded" 85D inventory car with no miles that sold with a discount of $2069...discounts are small on the inventory cars with no miles. It's basically a new car...says 50 miles on the cut sheet, but is literally right off the truck. Any car that actually becomes a demo and builds up some miles will have a bigger discount, but it doesn't seem like a good trade off to wait if you have a specific config in mind and one becomes available with ANY discount at a price that works. At least that's how I justify it. I didn't pull the trigger on the previous car because it was still over my mental threshold of $100K and one more discount would've taken it below that threshold, so I decided to watch it. I'm not sorry I did.

Thanks for the info. I think my timing for ordering will be around September. I'm imagining going in to see what inventory cars they have and if there's not something I'm interested in then just ordering then for an end of year delivery. I've been looking at keeping the Multi-Pattern seats, adding UHF, sub-zero, and pano roof. I'm guessing it will be very unlikely that an inventory car doesn't have next gen seating.

Thanks for the info. I think my timing for ordering will be around September. I'm imagining going in to see what inventory cars they have and if there's not something I'm interested in then just ordering then for an end of year delivery. I've been looking at keeping the Multi-Pattern seats, adding UHF, sub-zero, and pano roof. I'm guessing it will be very unlikely that an inventory car doesn't have next gen seating.

For the past 4 months, we've been holding out for UHF and SubZero, and the first 85D inventory car we found with both those options was the one over $100K that we were recently watching mentioned above. That seems to be a rare combination.

I do not think all inventory cars will have next gen seats. PM me with your email address and I can send you some samples of what we have been seeing (you're in a different region, so YMMV). I tend to think that the "50 mile" inventory cars that they sell without using them for anything are buyer cancellations that they decide to send to a region to either use for an extra demo car or in hopes it'll sell with a slight discount to one of us "watchers".

Big congratulations to you.
We were ogling that new blue as one was dropped off the factory delivery truck this afternoon - it is a gorgeous color. Just looking at it should keep your windshield from freezing up.

Thanks....I hope so (on the windshield not freezing). :biggrin: I won't have an issue as I'll always be driving it from a garage (not heated but no snow pile-up). My husband, on the other hand, will be driving it after it has been sitting in a parking lot all day, so when we get snow-dumps he might have some challenges. Hopefully no more (and somewhat less) than the 1996 Civic we're replacing.

Friday is pick up day. The car was delivered to the Mpls Store on June 20, but this Friday is the first day we can pick it up and get the full "tour of features" due to our schedules, so we opted to wait. All the paperwork and payments were done yesterday so we have already technically taken delivery. The car has 9 miles on it (or at least it did on June 20 when we were at the store arranging for the trade in, and when I was there signing the papers yesterday it did not seem to have been moved).

The excitement is definitely building!