Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more TOU electricity in ON! Charge whenever you want

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The math is easy.
Assumption : 90% of electricity use is off peak (9PM -6AM and weekends).
1000 kWh per month usage.

TOU is $23 cheaper off peak usage for those like us that charge EV's and do laundry off peak
TOU is $6 more for the mid peak and peak usage

Total savings TOU vs Tier is $17/mo for those that aggressively organize their usage for 90% off peak like we do

The math is easy.
Assumption : 90% of electricity use is off peak (9PM -6AM and weekends).
1000 kWh per month usage.

TOU is $23 cheaper off peak usage for those like us that charge EV's and do laundry off peak
TOU is $6 more for the mid peak and peak usage

Total savings TOU vs Tier is $17/mo for those that aggressively organize their usage for 90% off peak like we do

Your assumption of 90% usage off-peak may have held before the pandemic, but for many people now at home all day, it doesn't really work anymore.

Since March, my off-peak usage went from about 80% to 50%. This is mostly because we don't need to charge the car much at all now that we don't commute or drive to activities (thus reducing off-peak usage), and we need to heat/cool the house during the daytime since we work from there. More cooking of food at home also adds to on-peak usage. Overall, our total usage is down, but has greatly shifted to the daytime.

I'm surprised by the results - calculate my last 3 bills and I would save $2 to $5 a month on tiered rates - that's will 70% of my usage off-peak (I still only charge in off peak hours today).

I would have thought TOU would be cheaper.

It all depends on house big is your house and how many people are living in a household since 1000kwh was assigned per address. My average usage is 1500 - 1600 kwh/ month
Interesting thread.
Does anyone know if you can switch back and forth.
For example:
TOU during winter, and tiered during summer ?

Nothing stops you from switching but it would make more sense to have tiered during winter (1000 kwh cap) and TOU during summer (only 600 kwh cap in GTA when your AC is running)

Reactions: M109Rider
It all depends on house big is your house and how many people are living in a household since 1000kwh was assigned per address. My average usage is 1500 - 1600 kwh/ month

Nothing stops you from switching but it would make more sense to have tiered during winter (1000 kwh cap) and TOU during summer (only 600 kwh cap in GTA when your AC is running)

Thanks for the info. Glad we can switch.

I ran my precious bill through the calculator provided by someone in this thread. It actually worked out better for TOU during winter, and tiered mostly cheaper during summer.

Reactions: McFlurri