Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more Uber Credits or loaners after warranty expiration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you want them to raise the price of service to cover the Uber credit or rental car costs?
Indirectly yes. Perhaps use the same model as my local Toyota dealer uses - loaner cars available separately at a discounted rate (and you can rent different models, some for more money of course, but lets you try out different models). HOWEVER, loaner for same or better model is free for any warranty repairs that take more than 2hrs IRRC. The Lexus dealership I used to do business with used to give me a current year model of what I was driving for any recalls/warranty repairs. Elon used to boast how every Tesla customer in service gets a P100D loaner, what happened to this claim (spoiler, it was just another Elon marketing lie, I never got one even though I've been servicing Tesla cars I've owned for almost a decade now)?

PS> Yea, I already heard the excuse - if Tesla covered loaners for all warranty repairs they'd go bankrupt. I say they should raise the price of their cars to reflect the cost of warranty repairs, which include loaners.

Well stated. Loaners and Uber credits aren’t free.
For warranty repairs they should be, and that should be reflected in the price of the car. If Tesla needs to charge $100K for a base Model 3 to cover loaners needed for an average the number of days the car is expected to spend in the shop, they should. Or sell a Model whatever cheaper with a clear stipulation that the average Model whatever spends X days in service and you will not get any loaner cars no matter how long the service center keeps it.

Also,Just to add Tesla service isn't cheape too.They charge upwards of 200$ per hour.At this price point we expect some creature comforts like easy drop in & get out with a loaner
True. It actually really surprised me that with the rates Tesla chargers for services, they cannot provide loaner cars (heck, use the base $35K Model 3's not available to the public anymore, but internally they should be able to get Model 3's at cost, right?). The only explanations I can think of is that either Teslas just require way to much warranty service per car, service has become a major profit center allowing Tesla to make profit, or Tesla service is ran extremely inefficiently. Personally I think the latter is the primary reason. Elon took over as the head of service, but he has very little expertise what it takes to run efficient service. I actually think he believes it's a waste of his time because he's going to have the million mile Tesla any day now (it's been "any day" for the last few years of course, like summon from NYC to LA which was originally promised by Elon to work in 2018), while he thinks he can get there temporarily by setting aggressive profitability goals for individual service centers. I guess only time will tell if he's right, or will Tesla lose customers in droves due to service as competition emerges. Competition is close, though lucky for Tesla hampered with supply chain issues due to the pandemic and the war in Europe, and post pandemic labor shortages - both of which Tesla is actually better at handling. Had there not been the pandemic, I think Tesla would be in a much worse situation due to competition.

It was actually promised by 2017. I am no longer holding my breath as I have passed out...lol. This is the reason I am glad I did not purchase FSD as I would still be waiting going on over 5 years now.
I am by no means an Elon fanboy, but to be fair, in 2016 Elon said he would demonstrate coast to coast autonomous drive by end of 2017, and the NYC to LA summon would be available to all customers in 2018 (he said "in 2 years" mid 2016, but let's give him few months extra and say end of 2018). Perhaps he's waiting for the new DeLorean to come to market so he can announce a time machine as his next project - I'm sure he can make it look cool on stage at one of Tesla events.

Reactions: BostonBurley
PLUS your hourly rate goes from $175 to $215 without warranty in SoCal. Emphasis on people with a warranty getting unapproved work done receive a normal inflated hourly rate, while OG Tesla’s? They get reminded. “GO DIE ON A TOILET ALREADY YOU INBRED HILL PEOPLE!” No it’s more like… “thx again for believing hypemusk in 2011 and pre-paying a year ahead of time bc it was going to be ‘merely months’, and for accepting the $10,000 price increase (as a group of us did, without recompense, bc animosity toward Tesla could be viewed as a crack in the armor and inevitably called FUD by the bois, and after all, we were saving the world by buying these seamless machines)… only at delivery (or long after) did we realize basics were missing, like power mirrors, parking sensors, and trim pieces…

I wouldn’t purchase another Tesla but thankfully mine is going to run for a million miles bc pope Elon spit droplets landed and absorbed right through my paint on delivery day.

Okay, let’s just say anyone surprised by record breaking nonsense at Tesla has been very lucky or not paying attention. There’s plenty of us in each of those categories.

Never ran into this problem with any of my other cars. Even my 10 year old BMW used to get a loaner vehicles when I brought it in for service.

I can understand not giving out loaners for cheaper/generic cars such as Honda, Toyota, Chrysler or Ford]. Even Chrysler gives me a ride home or arranges for an Uber voucher when I bring my minivan in for service and it has been out of warranty for 2 years.

However, teslas are being sold and advertised as premium vehicles. Completely unacceptable in my humble opinion. But what do I know. I’m sure they’re pinching pennies with the stock market drop 😓
Same here. I had a 13 year old Lexus LS430 that was well out of the warranty period. I had an expensive A/C repair job that lasted 2 weeks and Lexus gave me a brand new loaner NX for the entire time, no questions asked or rental rates. No excuse for Tesla on this.

Same here. I had a 13 year old Lexus LS430 that was well out of the warranty period. I had an expensive A/C repair job that lasted 2 weeks and Lexus gave me a brand new loaner NX for the entire time, no questions asked or rental rates. No excuse for Tesla on this.
Small niggle: Lexus didn't not give you a loaner. The Lexus dealer you had doing the work gave you a loaner. Not every dealer provides the same level of service. And while they may not have billed you for that loaner, you can be sure that that "expensive A/C repair job" included the costs of that loaner/rental built in. So you paid for it.

Small niggle: Lexus didn't not give you a loaner. The Lexus dealer you had doing the work gave you a loaner. Not every dealer provides the same level of service. And while they may not have billed you for that loaner, you can be sure that that "expensive A/C repair job" included the costs of that loaner/rental built in. So you paid for it.
- Distinction without a difference. The point is Lexus at the top enforces top service priority at the dealers and makes sure the customer is taken care of even when you are long out of warranty.
- Tesla out of warranty costs are also just as expensive and apparently that doesn't include loaners.
- I don't buy Lexus or Tesla to save money. I buy them because they are top tier class vehicles and the service should come with it.

As I have said in the past here, companies with great customer service starts at the top. Musk could careless about this subject and therefore that is reflected right down to the service centers. If he wanted to match Lexus levels of service, he would hire someone who actually knows the subject inside and out and enforces it down the line.

Go look at an extreme version of poor service centers, Las Vegas. The reviews on google say, the technicians are understaffed, overworked, underpaid, burned out and can't deliver good service because the Tesla system provides no incentives to those employees who do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitex
Would you want them to raise the price of service to cover the Uber credit or rental car costs?

Personally I would rather manage that myself as I can do it much cheaper.

Well stated. Loaners and Uber credits aren’t free.

Loaners may not be free, but Tesla has inventory vehicles and letting a customer leverage one goes a long way beyond the value of uber credits towards brand appreciation. I've owned two Tesla's at this point with a MS 85D first and a 100D MX now. They have changed and gone downhill for customers especially when some of us were relatively early adopters and spent over 100K on vehicles. If you asked me a couple years back, I easily said I would never drive and own anything but Tesla again. These cars require little to no maintenance to begin with so the fact that they won't do good to the people who have gotten them to where they are today is depressing and the reason, I may not ever buy another one again. Just to be clear I'm not saying never but that love and passion I had for them earlier is gone at this point.

Inventory vehicles are rarely held at the SCs. They're in storage lots. Plus, if they loan out an inventory car and someone wants to buy it, do they call you back in to return the car so they can give you a different one? What happens if you don't bring it back in time?

The bigger problem - both for Tesla and their owners - is being able to have the cars serviced in a reasonable amount of time. With Tesla's anti-right-to-repair practices and reluctance to build more service centers, this is another problem of their own making.

Now that the first Model 3s are reaching the end of their 4yr/50k mile warranty, it'll be interesting to see if there are more independent shops willing and able to shoulder the additional demand for out-of-warranty repairs.

Took my 2017MS in for the FSD camera upgrade...no loaner or credits provided. Quote specifically said to plan for my own alternate transportation. I feel like this gives them zero incentive to get my car back in a decent amount of time. It sat there all day today and didn't move because "they forgot to check it in". Now, I'm looking at 3 days without a car to install a few cameras that shouldn't have been required for FSD, since you know..."All Tesla's built from 2016 onward have the required hardware to support FSD"

Took my 2017MS in for the FSD camera upgrade...no loaner or credits provided. Quote specifically said to plan for my own alternate transportation. I feel like this gives them zero incentive to get my car back in a decent amount of time. It sat there all day today and didn't move because "they forgot to check it in". Now, I'm looking at 3 days without a car to install a few cameras that shouldn't have been required for FSD, since you know..."All Tesla's built from 2016 onward have the required hardware to support FSD"
Bummer, my camera upgrade was “completed” in an hour in my driveway via mobile service.

Except the guy “forgot” to put the chrome appliqués on the new repeater cameras and left them bare shiny black plastic so he had to come back a few hours later and install the chrome bits after I called him and asked what’s up.

Between his first and second visit I took a short drive and noticed that I got an “autopilot cameras unavailable” error as soon as I put the car in gear. I asked him about this when he came back and he INSISTED the error would go away once the cameras were done calibrating. I was skeptical, and right, and the error message persisted.

So I had to schedule ANOTHER service appointment. This time at the service center because no mobile service appointment was available. Turns out the mobile tech installed the B pillar cameras backwards - left cam on right side and vice versa.

So they got the error message to go away but found the B pillar cams were still having trouble calibrating. Turns out the inside of the B pillar trim piece was getting tacky/sticky/foggy, presumably due to the plastic breaking down in the sun. They tried to clean it with some solvent or something and made it worse.

To their credit they ordered new trim pieces on their dime and are coming out for a THIRD appointment on Wednesday to replace them via mobile service.

All this for a “free” camera upgrade. Hoping third time’s the charm. 😂

• Funny
To be fair, mine is in for a rear drive unit replacement (Model S 75D) and while diagnosing that issue found the front drivers wheel bearing was noisy too. Mine is out of basic warranty but they were happy to give me loaner, Model 3P- as it happened! Will be three weeks with the car on Friday

Inventory vehicles are rarely held at the SCs. They're in storage lots. Plus, if they loan out an inventory car and someone wants to buy it, do they call you back in to return the car so they can give you a different one? What happens if you don't bring it back in time?

The bigger problem - both for Tesla and their owners - is being able to have the cars serviced in a reasonable amount of time. With Tesla's anti-right-to-repair practices and reluctance to build more service centers, this is another problem of their own making.

Now that the first Model 3s are reaching the end of their 4yr/50k mile warranty, it'll be interesting to see if there are more independent shops willing and able to shoulder the additional demand for out-of-warranty repairs.
Yes, that’s how they used to do it. I’ve had that happen, my car was in service waiting for a drive unit and they called me asking to come swap the loaner because it was sold.